2014 Sub-18 5K (Read 544 times)

I'll say yes. One of my personal fitness goals for this (toward which I'm switching into high gear) is running an 18:00 3-mile, so this seems like a reasonable next step goal for the coming year. I've never even been close until the last year or so—I'm 26, and didn't start running until I was 23, though I've had reasonable fitness from other sports, etc. since middle school.

xhristopher

Quite a group so far. 20 people! I think we'll be able to stage our own race soon.

In for 2014.  Back after a LONG layoff.  Turn 36 on 7/9.  Been under 18 a time or two - last was Nov. '11.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

bhearn

McMillan says 18:00 corresponds to about a 2:55 marathon... which I have not run, but is a realistic goal, I think, in 2014. So maybe I should be in. Except that I do better at longer distances (I have yet to break 19:00, with a 2:58 marathon time), and I'm not going to make 5K a priority. So probably don't put me on the list. If it looks feasible maybe I will change my mind.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Got a couple races in last 2 weeks, which are my best this year. Sub 1:46 half, and 18:46 5k......

You mean sub 1:26 half

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

I never questioned it since his half was also sub 1:46. I just figured he was being modest.

xhristopher

In for 2014.  Back after a LONG layoff.  Turn 36 on 7/9.  Been under 18 a time or two - last was Nov. '11.

Welcome back!

some call me Tim

McMillan says 18:00 corresponds to about a 2:55 marathon... which I have not run, but is a realistic goal, I think, in 2014. So maybe I should be in. Except that I do better at longer distances (I have yet to break 19:00, with a 2:58 marathon time), and I'm not going to make 5K a priority. So probably don't put me on the list. If it looks feasible maybe I will change my mind.

Can't hurt to be on the list! And your plans sound an awful lot like mine - go for 2:55 in the spring and hope the training produces the sub-18. If nothing else I'd be interested to know how it goes.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I would like to run a sub-18 next year too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jpdeaux

In the space of 5 seconds I've gone from "Why not?" bluster, to "Dude, you've barely broken 19" self-defeat, to "You're older and slower than everybody on this list and just came off a year hiatus" reality check.

So add me to the bhearn list and I'll see how long it takes to string together a single 5:48 mile.

Even failing this will help me.

oops, yeah. Will try and fix that

MTA:  got it, thanks

Current Goals: Run and stuff

In the space of 5 seconds I've gone from "Why not?" bluster, to "Dude, you've barely broken 19" self-defeat, to "You're older and slower than everybody on this list and just came off a year hiatus" reality check.

So add me to the bhearn list and I'll see how long it takes to string together a single 5:48 mile.

Welcome back, guys!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Favorite thing about this sport.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

This is a great idea and I would like to give it a shot but 2014 is probably not the year for me as I want to focus more on ultras after January.  So put me down as a maybe.  Current 5K PR, 18:18.  Sub 18 before - no.  Age - 40 (until September)

I'll give this a shot next year.  I'm training for a marathon in April, but after that I'm planning on focusing on shorter races.  My PR is 18:43 and I'm 32 (birthday in May).