Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

Not Lance.. but.. looks interesting.. 9.79*

Exactly Park life.  No trust.  Guess your refrence is to Usain Bolt.  It is actually lower.  Carl Lewis is always claiming that Jamaicans are cheating. 

Feeling the growl again

I admittedly have none.  My comment was more that of a non-citizen that is pro US and find it difficult defending USADA when people are always complaining about their integrity.  Everyone or most people internationally accept the fact that the Eastern bloc engaged in heavy doping especially in the past.  When Lance was winning there was always complaint about him doping albeit with little or no evidence. Additionally if you listen to the commentary especially on Flow Joe's record in the non US press.  Most people look at them with an asterisk.  It is only right and just for them to be going after Lance but the truth is that a lot of people just look on it as a bone and still would like to hear about other suspicious cases.  (Flow Joe is the most prominent) It comes off as a sort of over kill on Lance when no similar effort seems to be made to correct the record of some other pass performers.  The answer seems to be more than- this is one case we have evidence for.

When the US press raised its concern and not necessarily unfairly about the Chinese swimmer it was with a role of eyes from the rest of the world.  Sad to see the state of faith in athletics with all the mistrust.

I don't see your point.  The rest of the world "rolls it eyes" when the US press raises questions about a Chinese swimmer (ie questioning other nations but insinuating not their own), but it's overkill when the US goes after probably the most successful of their own dopers in history (ie going after their own)?  I don't see the logic in this argument.

What other dopers are you wanting to see them go after?  They tested Meb K like 3 times in a week after he won the Olympic Trials.  Exactly who are you asking them to bust?  Flo Jo is a bad example, that was ~20 years ago before they even had tests to detect many of the drugs people were on.  Nobody was busting the Eastern Bloc athletes either.  It's a lot harder to retroactively chase after those whose offenses are 20 years old....and who are dead, in addition.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

Who the hell is Flow Joe? I know of a Flo-Jo, way back in the day. Was there a man using her nickname or something? A plumbing company? Or is it just general lack of respect?

I'm touching your pants.

Exactly Park life.  No trust.  Guess your refrence is to Usain Bolt.  It is actually lower.  Carl Lewis is always claiming that Jamaicans are cheating. 

Its referring to Ben Johnson, Canada. Left for Olympics as a 'Canadian' but came home 'Jamaican born'

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Queen of 3rd Place

And, hot off the presses: the whole reasoning behind the Armstrong ban, in 202 pages.

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon skimming this. It certainly is thorough, mostly it consists of eyewitness accounts over many years, but there are also "interesting" exchanges of large sums of money from LA to an apparently-shady physician, reports of intimidation (forcing team-mates to dope, threatening former team-mates and acquaintances to keep them quiet), and that one little bit of bloodwork (although that little bit is a real zinger). There are many pages devoted to backing up the character of the witnesses, and to explaining why the witnesses have no motivation to "go after" Lance. One thing that stuck out for me was that NOT ONE former teammate they talked to stuck up for Lance. And that's just from skimming. It's quite a case. 

After skimming this, I understand better why they went after him. Years of systematic cheating on a large scale, forcing young promising riders to dope (or get kicked off the team), violating the trust of those who financially backed athletic endeavors, it's all very depressing stuff. 

Ex runner

Its referring to Ben Johnson, Canada. Left for Olympics as a 'Canadian' but came home 'Jamaican born'

Watched the first 30 minutes before needing to go to sleep. Recorded it to watch later. After hearing the high suspicion and speculation regarding Carl Lewis in 1984, I could go to sleep in peace.

I realize the error of my way, and my defense (or neutral thoughts) of LA has got to end. In the 80s, my pride was broke because of Ben Johnson. At the time, I wanted the truth regarding the widespread use of whatever they were doing. After watching the first 30 minutes last night, I realized that there was a cover up in 1984 that wasn't made public, and that other big named Americans were likely guilty.

They were able to buy there way out of guilty charges.

Lance is guilty. He's the local Dallas suburb every day kid that went big time, but he's guilty. It sucks. But, at least I feel somewhat relieved that the biggest doper isn't my Canadian idol.

Now, only if Carl Lewis could be stripped of all of his bling....

Life Goals:

Lance is guilty. He's the local Dallas suburb every day kid that went big time, but he's guilty. It sucks.

That must have been very hard for you to type! Smile

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

That must have been very hard for you to type! Smile

It was tough 24 years ago when Ben Johnson was guilty too. Fortunately, though, I don't care about the TdF or the 100 meter dash. It should be a speedy recovery. Smile

Life Goals:

It was tough 24 years ago when Ben Johnson was guilty too. Fortunately, though, I don't care about the TdF or the 100 meter dash. It should be a speedy recovery. Smile

I feel your pain KerCan.  Lance was a hero to me.  Use to tell his story of recovery from cancer. I still feel for him but this story realy makes him look bad.

Queen of 3rd Place

I think at this point the best thing he can do is man up and admit it, but instead he's continuing to dig in. Article from Velo News reports

"And then there’s Armstrong, who still, shockingly, vehemently denies any wrongdoing. On Wednesday evening, Armstrong sent out a defiant message on Twitter: “What am I doing tonight? Hanging with my family, unaffected".

Amazing fallout being reported at VeloNews.com. I think this is part of why the USADA went after this, not only was it ugly, but it's sure getting everyone's attention. Maybe there will be a house-cleaning period. 

Ex runner

Why is it sideways?

Has this thread now completed it's journey of The Five Stages of Grief as they relate to Lance's career?

denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

xhristopher

Levi Leipheimer was fired today. On one hand he was a long time doping cheat and on the other he came clean and assisted the USADA investigation. I'm sure other active riders are paying close attention and will continue to keep their secrets, which may well continue the doping culture.

mikeymike

He's 38 and well past his prime--he must have known he'd be fired once he came clean. Probably a big weight off his shoulders.

Runners run

xhristopher

He's 38 and well past his prime--he must have known he'd be fired once he came clean. Probably a big weight off his shoulders.

I'm not concerned about Levi. He made plenty of money and got some nice contracts from cheating. What concerns me is that other active riders will know that coming clean and outing a corrupt system will come at a significant cost. Those riders might not have had as lucrative career as Levi. Garmin is standing by its riders. Right or wrong, that's what they are doing in order to take a stand against doping and expose the system in an attempt to bring about positive change.