Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gotta admit...I'm chuckling at the Trek thing.  Tens of thousands of people have Treks simply because it's what Lance rides, even though Trek has some horrific customer service (I know a couple of people who have developed cracks in carbon frames and Trek won't stand behind the product.  Trek even told one woman I know with a high-spec'd Madone that they'd only honor the warranty if she let them cut into her bike.  Then if they "decided" that her crack was not the result of a crash--it wasn't--they would replace it...otherwise she'd be given a destroyed bike.  She sent it to Calfee, had it repaired, and had it repainted--on her own dime--not replacing any Trek badging).

I grew up in WI, home of Trek.  I won't ever own one (but, mmmm...Waterford....).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I grew up in WI, home of Trek.  I won't ever own one (but, mmmm...Waterford....).

What I love about my Trek is that I got it for $1000 off. It performs exactly as advertised (i.e. go fast) but it has no soul. My Waterford made bike has soul. I think my Waterford made bike drinks a lot of beer when I'm not looking and it sure as hell ain't Ultra.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What I love about my Trek is that I got it for $1000 off. It performs exactly as advertised (i.e. go fast) but it has no soul. My Waterford made bike has soul. I think my Waterford made bike drinks a lot of beer when I'm not looking and it sure as hell ain't Ultra.

New Glarus?

I would be happy with a Gunnar, if I couldn't have a Waterford.  My great great grandfather was named Gunnar.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

They've announced he will be stripped of his 7 TdF titles along with a lifetime ban.

(There will be no official winner for those years.) 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2012/10/22/lance-armstrong-doping-titles-decision.html

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling," [UCI president] McQuaid said at a news conference. "This is a landmark day for cycling."

This had to happen but as far as the UCI's statement is concerned, it sounds pretty hypocritical. They were in on the conspiracy with both feet and now that Armstrong is busted he's on the outside of the conspiracy and they've gone from protecting him to throwing rocks at him.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

This was probably the best decision they could have made, given the circumstances.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Same old bullshit from UCI, just a different goat. They were in on the conspiracy with both feet and now that Armstrong has been busted he's outside the circle and they're throwing him under the bus too.

And yes, my thoughts as well.  I have no use for the UCI.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Same old bullshit from UCI, just a different goat. They were in on the conspiracy with both feet and now that Armstrong has been busted he's outside the circle and they're throwing him under the bus too.

I agree with this. It's ridiculous to say that LA has no place in cycling. You can't erase a 7 time tour winner from the history of the sport--that's just as crazy as maintaining LA's innocence. 

All you can do is put an asterisk on those titles...

They would have to erase about 15 years of cycling history in its entirety, along with the existence of the UCI.

Runners run

Seanv2

it is going to be interesting to watch the TdF this year, pro cycling is maybe the only sport where the times (at least on some of the historic mountain climbs) are getting slower.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Right, and to continue on the hypocricy of the UCI, they refused to make available any real-time power output stats from the riders in this year's tour because they didn't want to show how obvious it was that they were much lower than in years past, because that would be more evidence that the whole peleton was doped to the gills for over a decade...

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For someone on the outside that isn't really paying attention: That's so weird. 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling," [UCI president] McQuaid said at a news conference. "This is a landmark day for cycling."

Incredibly, they managed to make me feel some sympathy for the guy.  He cheated, yes; and ruined his legacy, yes.  But conceptually wiping him from the history of cycling shows a facile response to a complex issue.  If I have any pet peeves, that is surely one of them. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Incredibly, they managed to make me feel some sympathy for the guy.  He cheated, yes; and ruined his legacy, yes.  But conceptually wiping him from the history of cycling shows a facile response to a complex issue.  If I have any pet peeves, that is surely one of them. 

The head of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is  calling for a truth and reconciliation commission. I agree, Lance's exploits do need to be seen within the full context of the era. So far, except for scale, not much is new. Another rider is busted, more sponsors have pulled out, and more people are posturing. Someone needs to expose the damn UCI then nuke it. The whole sport needs a full reboot.