running when ill (Read 838 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Its Ironic, I was out of comission for 8 weeks or so due to hip condition, and I have been back on the run for a couple of weeks, but for the last couple of days, I have been burdened with a HEAVY cold and headaches. It is affecting the way I run and I feel that I have no energy too. Does anyone run while they are ill? I feel like if I run while ill my running will be benefitted but my illness wont and vice versa. How do you guys feel?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

A rule of thumb someone gave me (and I'm a rookie runner, so take with a big grain of salt), is if the cold is below the neck (coughing/stomach), don't run. If it is just your head, running won't hurt the situation and may actually help clear things out. I stuck by that for the last recovery (3 week flu/horrible cough). I tried running a bit too soon (the cough was still very present) and not only couldn't finish the run but regressed in recovery, delaying me for another week. Once the cough subsided, however, I was still abit congested in the head and ran with no problems. I've since run two days in a row with no sign of backslide. Today is a DOR, so no run. Chris

Chris
      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

mikeymike

I run unless I have a fever.

Runners run

JakeKnight

The only time illness keeps me from running is when I'm too sick to use the search function: http://runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=running+while+sick&a=Search

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

jeffdonahue

I will pretty much run through any illness. I have always been big into beating the illness out of you, and what better way than a nice five mile run.
            mikeymike

The only time illness keeps me from running is when I'm too sick to use the search function: http://runningahead.com/forums/search?keywords=running+while+sick&a=Search
              JK, the last original running thread happened on or around September 24th, 1999 on RWOL or Merv's or Coolrunning or something. I can't remember exactly. Ever since then, every thread related in any way shape or form to the subject of running has simply been a re-hash of things already discussed. If we can't continue to have the same conversations over and over, then there's really no point in having an Internet. Now is there?

Runners run

JakeKnight

Now is there?
                I dunno. I'm still busy trying to figure out what to drink on long runs and whether I should stretch before I head out. Hopefully I can track down some info on that.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Lia's Daddy

I dunno. I'm still busy trying to figure out what to drink on long runs and whether I should stretch before I head out. Hopefully I can track down some info on that.
                  I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find any of that info on a running message board but if you do find the information maybe you could right a book. I don't think those topics have ever been covered in print Wink
                  "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

uncontrollable

I also generally run unless I have a fever. That being said ... if it is respiratory - breathing is kinda important when you're running so you have to use your judgement! Plan to do a little less (pace or distance) and don't expect to feel "great" are my thoughts. Also, rest days are OK. They will not hurt you! Do what you think is best. Everyone is different! Get well!

peace

The Greatest of All Time

I run unless I have a fever.
                      Same.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I run unless I can't breathe Tight lipped I'm with the mind set of "sweat it out". It's drilled in my head since my HS coach used to yell at us and not care if we were sick or felt "ill". She was a tough cookie but really gave me good coaching and lifetime values.
                        -Jen
                        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                        jeffdonahue

There is also the old addage (though not sure it was said regarding illness, but it could probably apply). "If you feel like crap, run faster. You won't feel any better, but at least you'll be done sooner."
                            I'm one of those mindless types enslaved by a training schedule, not much in the way of mods for me. I run unless I feel really crappy, and only have one truly bad experience as a result. I was feeling pretty weak a couple of days after Stu's 30K, but attributed it to the race and a hard run after it. I got about halfway into a five mile out-and-back and realized I was not just fatigued, I was ill. I had to really slow down, and it was an absolutely miserable 2.5 mile slog to get home. Lesson learned, if I'm not feeling well but still want to try a run I'll keep my loop short or head to the track. That allows you to cut your run off quickly if things don't go well. Hope you're feeling 100% soon Eddy.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The cold or flu gets worse if I keep running.

Half Fanatic #846

I run unless I'm sick. Dead

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!