Foam Roller (How?) (Read 804 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

How do you use these things then? I've never seen one and don't know the how, why, when?

Prince of Fatness

Purdey, I really like the foam roller. If you google the term "foam roller exercises for runners" you'll find all sorts of information. From my personal experience.... Roll slowly over the area you are working on. When you hit a knot, hold over it and let it loosen. When you first start, it will hurt like hell. But it gets less painful over time as you loosen up the knots. It's better to do it after running, on warm muscles. I stretch lightly after using the roller. The only place that I don't feel that it works well are the hamstrings. The roller doesn't seem to penetrate that well. For the hamstrings I use something like a tennis ball. That seems to do a better job finding the knots.

Not at it at all. 

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I perform 25 repetitions on each of 8 muscles on a daily basis (per my PT). And although I make sure to do it after a long run in addition to stretching, I do it prior to warming up before a run. Typically my warm consists of something like: - foam roll - warm up exercises or walk or easy run - static stretches

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

ud32

I bought one online - performbetter.com.....for those that can handle the pain they have foam that is firmer with less give - ouch!

The only place that I don't feel that it works well are the hamstrings. The roller doesn't seem to penetrate that well. For the hamstrings I use something like a tennis ball. That seems to do a better job finding the knots.
            The other guy I coach with makes some out of pipes. Those really dig in on the hamstrings (and everything else!) and work much better than the foam rollers. He roughens them up a little with sandpaper so they don't slide right out from under you and then paints them. He'll buy a 20 foot length of pipe and cut 'em down to size and make a dozen or so.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Prince of Fatness

The other guy I coach with makes some out of pipes.
              Hmmmm. I have some PVC laying around. I might have to cut myself a piece and try it out.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The other guy I coach with makes some out of pipes. Those really dig in on the hamstrings (and everything else!) and work much better than the foam rollers. He roughens them up a little with sandpaper so they don't slide right out from under you and then paints them. He'll buy a 20 foot length of pipe and cut 'em down to size and make a dozen or so.
                Hey, that's what my son got from him! He uses it a lot. Works great.