3 Marathon Training... Please give your opinions (Read 939 times)

aes

I feel like I'm completely monopolizing the forums here but I'm in Europe at the moment and don't have a sports doctor or running friends whose opinions I can get. Sorry. I'm running St. George on Oct. 7th but a sore hamstring is preventing me from training. After getting some advice and researching on the internet I found out a grade 1 pull will take from 10-20 days to heal. I guess, if that means I can run St. George than I'll take off the next 10 days. But, I am going to then have to cut my training program short by a month. Please tell me your opinion about the mileage increases in my long runs and over weekly mileage. Thank you! Any other advice you may have would be helpful too! Long Run / Weekly Mileage 1 . 6 / 16 2 . 8 / 18 3 . 9 / 20 4 . 11 / 22 5 . 13 / 24 6 . 10 / 20 7 . 16 / 27 8 . 18 / 30 9 . 15 / 25 10 . 18 / 33 11 . 18 / 36 12 . 13 / 27 13 . 20 / 9 Marathon week please let me know your thoughts. I know it depends on what my body says, but does this seem ok? I don't run much longer than 18 miles because I do my long runs between 9 and 10 minutes miles and don't want to run longer than 3 hours at one time. (I read it somewhere) Thanks! 14

You'll ruin your knees!

Sorry about the hamstring, and don't worry about how many posts you're putting up. Chances are if you have a question, somebody else has the same question but hasn't asked! I hear St George as an awesome marathon...must be prepared for just about any temp, though...beeauuuuuuthful! As for recovery from the hammy, you will not lose any training base in the 10-20 days you take off. If there is some cross training you can do...find it and do it! Much over 20 days and you will see a fall-off in the base from training. Should be OK there. As for the schedule, looks OK to me, but I don't agree with capping the long runs at 20 or to three hours. If I'm reading your schedule correctly, you are planning on three different 18 mile runs (wks 8, 10 and 11) and one 20 mile run. I would rather see a schedule that has 18, 21, and 24 for your weeks 8, 10, 11 and an easy 10 miler on the week before the marathon. I think you should have at least one run of more than 22 miles to help you see what you can expect on marathon day! For those long runs, don't feel bad about slowing down even more...they are more about time on your feet and listenting to your body than they are about pace/speed. Your schedule has plenty of time in it, I just think you have long runs scheduled too close to marathon day! Give yourself at least 2 weeks without any long runs or speed/hillwork in the last 2 weeks before your race...remember, you won't lose anything in those two weeks, just keep the running nice and easy to loosen up the muscles and joints. Try and practice using the same hydration and nutrition you plan on using during marathon week for each of the long runs. Your body will give you plenty of feedback on your "plan", allowing you ample time to make the necessary adjustments. Good luck and don't forget RICE for the injury (rest, ice, compression, elevation - mainly the first two for the hammy) and you'll be fine and do great! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

vicentefrijole

I wouldn't feel bad about monopolizing the forums... I do it all the time! (ahem... bored at work) Blush I'm not extremely experienced, so see what other runners say and take all this with a bit of skepticism: It seems to me like your schedule looks mostly very good (comparing it to the standard Hal Hignon schedule).. especially in the way you have your "fall-back" weeks with less distance in the long run. My only concern is you might be increasing a little fast in the long runs... particularly I would think your jump from 13 to 16 to 18 miles in weeks 5 to 8 will feel pretty rough. Perhaps you could redistribute so that you hit your peak distance (18 miles) only once, and hit some of those midrange distances (especially 15 to 18) a little more gradually? But that's really a personal choice that should reflect your running history (if you've done marathons before, your body is probably better equiped to handle this injury recovery and subsequent training), personal goal (simply finish the marathon or hit a specific time?), and how your body feels. Big grin I don't see any reason to limit to 3 hours, so I would probably build up to 20 miles, but I don't know everything (yet) so do what you're comfortable with! Yes (Also, I assume your 13th week is a typo and you're doing 9 miles long run with 20 total?)

A Dance with Monkeys

Provided you do not loose your base as you recover, you should not drop back so low and you should not ramp up this slowly. You risk being under-prepared for the marathon. You need to get your weekly miles a bit higher and get in at least one or two 20 mile runs. You should put down weeks alternating with high weeks. That will allow your body to recover. Here is an example Long Run / Weekly Mileage 1 . 8 / 25 2 . 8 / 18 3 . 14 / 30 4 . 11 / 22 5 . 16 / 36 6 . 12 / 28 7 . 18 / 40 8 . 14 / 30 9 . 20 / 42 10 . 15 / 33 11 . 20/ 45 12 . 13 / 27 13 . 10 / 15 Marathon week This is also pretty aggressive, but assumes you retained some fitness, and it includes 2 20 milers. You can drop to one. A less aggressive schedule might look like this: Long Run / Weekly Mileage 1 . 8 / 25 2 . 8 / 18 3 . 12 / 30 4 . 11 / 22 5 . 14 / 36 6 . 12 / 28 7 . 16 / 40 8 . 14 / 30 9 . 18 / 42 10 . 15 / 33 11 . 20/ 45 12 . 13 / 27 13 . 8 / 15 Marathon week I do not buy the 3 hour limit either, just take your runs nice and easy. I suggest getting your weekly milage by doing at least one long run, one to two medium runs which is/are at least half the long run distance, and the rest in shorter runs. So for the first schedule above, your week 11 would look like this: Monday - rest Tuesday - 5 miles Wednesday - 10 miles Thursday - 5 miles Friday - cross or rest Saturday - 5 miles Sunday - 20 miles
            jlynnbob is correct-St. George is a beautiful marathon. I'll be there with you--this year will be my fourth SGM, and my 7th marathon this year. He has given you some good advice about RICE. In my opinion, Trent has the right schedule for you. I would simply add that you have got to make sure you do some downhill training, or you will really feel it in your quads the last few miles--as well as in the few days after. BTW--congrats on getting picked in the lottery. You are really going to like SGM. The support on the course is solid, with well-stocked and manned aid stations, and the treats at the end are the best of any marathon I have run. When you hit the city limits, the crowd support is fantastic. The community really comes out in force to support the runners.
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            aes

Thank you all so much for your input. I will definitely do a mixture of the two new schedules Trent gave me to work with. I went for a walk this morning and I'm hoping that I will take the time to walk 45-60 minutes each day. I ride a bike as mode of transportation so i usually get in about 6 miles on the bike a day. I plan on also doing some stregnthening exercises to hopefully strengthen my hamstring. it's odd because I've never had a hamstring injury before and it sucks. Pron8r, congrats to you too about making the lottery. I hope to be there on the starting line with you... the next 3 1/2 months will tell. I'll give anything to be there though. Thanks again for the advice and if anyone has any more, please let me know!
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I agree with Lynn that you should go beyond the arbitrary 3 hour limit. Long runs are meant to simulate race day, so the time you spend on your feet should be closer to what your race time will be. I seem to remember that you mentioned you ran a marathon a while back. What was your training like compared to this one? Trent's schedules look good. Keep in mind that you might need to alter it should you feel you're not recovering fast enough. Just because you're scheduled to do the 20 miler this weekend doesn't mean you hvae to do it! Listen to your body and don't risk reinjuring yourself. Good luck and keep us posted with your training!
                Wally Waffle

Get a deep massage on the hamstring by a proper hands on Physio it really hurts but it really works , trust me ! I suffer from said problem but keep it in check by visiting Doctor Death ( local hands on sports physio ) this allows me to get on with usual training niceties !