My training schedule for the Columbus Marathon - Thoughts? (Read 1465 times)

Lactate stackers
    For some strange reason, I thought that said lactate slackers. Big grin I think it accurately describes tonight's post-workout workout.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Honestly, I think your program looks fine except that the 13/13 double is unnecessary, and possibly counter-productive. Better to go 13 one weekend, 19 the next alternately, and include some miles at race pace in those runs. .
      I have revised my schedule and was wondering if some of you could take another look at it. I still have a lot of 13/13 for Saturday and Sunday but I thought it was important to get the miles in. Some of those 13's on Saturday will be hill work other's a sort of tempo run later in the schedule if the 8 mile tempo runs on Thursday are being run consistently under 8 min miles. The Sunday 13's will all be easy runs. I am guessing that your suggestion would be to take out a couple of my 13/13 and just do a Saturday run of 19 or 18? That kind of goes agains my whole logic of not running between 15 - 19 miles or are you suggesting just add in one or two let's say 18 mile runs? Updated schedule link below: http://www.editgrid.com/user/ho0mwp/Training_Schedule_Final
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      mikeymike

Maybe I'm just dense but what, again, is the logic behind avoiding all runs of 15 to 19 miles?

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am guessing that your suggestion would be to take out a couple of my 13/13 and just do a Saturday run of 19 or 18?
          Exactly. And include a few miles at planned race pace.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

My two cents: You've got too much intensity. A brief look at you log shows that you will be running your highest mileage week ever over and over again. You can do this, but not with two hard workouts plus a long run every week. I'd say use this first marathon to get your mileage up and don't worry so much about the intensity. Run one marathon-pace workout a week and do some faster running in your long runs. Basically, I'd say alternate the Monday/Thursday workout every other week. Of course, if you feel good, you can always add the extra workout back in. Also, you might think about starting your tempo run out at 6 miles, but then building it to 10. Finally--your plan looks decent to me, and if you survive it, you'll be able to run a quality marathon. But the marathon plan does not make the marathoner. Marathoners are built over years, not weeks. So, if it doesn't work out for you this time, no worries. It would be strange indeed if the marathon could be mastered in 16 weeks. It took me about 16 years to feel I was ready for it.
            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Mike, I think JeffOBlue's message summed it up best for me when he quoted Dr. Owen Anderson's book Great Workouts for Popular Races Jeff: I think that is what is nice about this program. See I won't be really running a long run every week. I don't see 13 as long but more of a intermediate run. Not too long but not too short. So the weeks where I have those in it will sort of be like a rest week compared to the 20 - 24 mile weeks. I even drop my mileage down 8 miles and take an extra day off on the weeks after these runs. Did you see my latest update? <link>http://www.editgrid.com/user/ho0mwp/Training_Schedule_Final I can always change my plans as the weeks go on depending on how my body feels but I really like this plan in theory. I never said I was planning on mastering this is 16 weeks. I've been running for 5-6 years now and I have run 2 hard marathons (columbus is supposed to be a lot easier). However, I realize I have a lot to learn from people like you and others on this forum. I changed my schedule already thanks to alot of the advice I have received in this thread. I am just trying to decide if I want to throw in a couple of 15 - 19 mile weekends and only run one day. Do you really think 4 miles of speed work, a 8 mile tempo run every week and a long run >19 miles every other week is too much? The 8 miles this week felt great and I haven't been slacking off before starting the first week of this schedule. I have been averaging over 42 miles a week for the last couple of months up to a high of 56. I think my goals in the training is to get more miles in at race pace then I did in my last race. I wish I could find a good 10K and a good 15K to race in but those are hard to find. Thoughts?
                2011 Goals:
              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Jeff or Mike I would be interested in how you would change the schedule if you have the time. I really do appreciate the help and made the spreadsheet so that you can change things. I made a copy even if you accidently deleted it I would still have my schedule. If you don't have the time I understand I just thought I would throw that out.
                  2011 Goals:
                mikeymike

In general I'm not a fan of Owen Anderson. He's long on physiological theory and short on real world experience with real athletes. He tends to extrapolate directly from the lab to conclusions about how athletes should train. But even still, nothing in the excerpt Jeff included supports eschewing all runs of 15 to 19 miles. It talks about gradually building to 20 and 22 mile training runs. You would assume that to build to 20 miles one would need to hit distances in that 15 - 19 range at some point. If you want to know what I would do, look at what I am doing. My goal marathon is one week before yours. In the next 3 months I will do lots of 15-19 mile training runs. And lots of long runs that include some marathon pace running. I'll probably also run a 30K road race and a half marathon in there somehwere. In general what I try to do pretty much year round is two big workouts a week, usually, but not always, on Wednesday and Sunday. Lately my mid-week big workout has been 10 miles and my weekend big workout has been 13-15 miles each with some quality. In terms of average pace these tend to be my two fastest runs of the week. The other days of the week I just run easy mileage, as much as I can handle while still recovering for the big days. In August and September, as I start to gear up for the marathon, the only real change is that I'll make those two big workouts each a bit longer and more marathon specific. So instead of 10 and 13, I might do 13 and 17 and focus the "quality" on marathon pace versus faster stuff. I don't plan things out too specifically but if things go the way I want then a typical week for me by late august or sept might look something like this: mon - 6 easy jog tue - 8 easy with strides wed - 13 with 3 x 2000m @ tempo thu - 6 easy jog fri - 10 easy with strides sat - 8 easy sun - 17 with 10 @ MP

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Hey Bearcat, This was the plan I used for my marathon last April, and my rationale at the time. I more or less stuck to it, and I ran my goal (sub 2:40:00--2:38:06). The plan was constructed out of advice I got in the 2000 mile club. I don't operate well with a daily plan, but I like to have weekly benchmarks. Like I said, your plan is pretty good. I like thinking about hours per week instead of miles per week because that kept me from going too fast.
                    Based on all this advice from you and others, this is what I'm thinking to get ready for CMM (April 28--9 weeks). Since CMM will be more of a test of aerobic fitness (whether I've been beating away enough with a blunt stone on myself), I'm not incorporating any fast intervals (I'll aim for a fast 5k or 10k in June). My emphasis will be on raising my lactate threshold by becoming an aerobic beast. 1. This week--recovery week. I'll have to miss three days anyway, canyoneering with some buddies in south Utah. It will be active recovery. (40 miles) 2. 9 hrs (~80 miles) Long run 2hrs. 2 doubles (30am, 60pm), 1 MP run (10 miles@5:50), 1 medium intensity run (6:20 pace), 2 easy runs 3. 10 hrs (~85-90 miles) Long run 2:30, 2 doubles (45am, 60 pm), 6xmile @ 5:30, 1 medium intensity run, 2 easy runs 4. 10 hrs (85-90miles) same as 3, but w/MP run of 12 miles, long run of 2hrs 5. 11 hrs (90-95 miles) long run 3 hrs, 2 medium intensity runs (6:20 pace), all other runs easy 6. 11+ hrs (100 miles) same as week 2, but with 2:30 long run, MP run 12 miles, 4 doubles. 7. 10 hrs (85-90 miles) same as week 3. 8. 9 hrs. same as week 2 9. Taper (60 miles or so, easy running)
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I made my first adjustment today. Instead of running 13 I only ran 8.5. I would like to say it was because of all the great advice you guys gave me. However, instead of doing the smart thing and running a flat easy 13 I thought I would do one with a big hill (.25 miles, elev gain of 150 feet) and most of the course being in sunlight including the hill. Not a smart thing to do when you have high temps and high humidty. Anyway, no need to do this course anymore unless it is cloudy outside and cool. Columbus is pretty flat so I don't think I need to worry about hills too much. The good news is that I cut it short when I saw that I couldn't get my heart rate down even though as I was giving the same effort as I was at the begining. My HR was about 152 Avg. After the hill my HR was avg 160+ My pace was good though but I didn't feel I could go any slower. My pace recorded 9:14 but I felt like I was going slow. So much still to learn.
                        2011 Goals:

Was it all a dream?

This is off topic, but Jeff, I noticed from the time you posted, that we finished with nearly the same time at CMM this year (aka you beat me by 12 sec). Small world... As far as the topic goes, I would suggest changing the 13/13 weekends to 16 on saturday and 4 in the a.m. 6 in the p.m. on sunday (or vice versa).

Why is it sideways?

This is off topic, but Jeff, I noticed from the time you posted, that we finished with nearly the same time at CMM this year (aka you beat me by 12 sec). Small world... As far as the topic goes, I would suggest changing the 13/13 weekends to 16 on saturday and 4 in the a.m. 6 in the p.m. on sunday (or vice versa).
                          Cool--you must have been finishing strong (or at least steady) because I don't remember seeing you out there. I ran pretty much with the lead women from mile 10 or so on... Nice run at Grandma's, too--you definitely finished strong there as well. Smart racing for a young buck! Hey, you should check out the 2000 mile club: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum
                          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

How do you guys feel about two a days? I was just thinking maybe I should revise my schedule so that I run just one day on the weekend but slowly up my mileage for one day during two runs. So maybe start this weekend with a 13 mile morning run like I plan and then do an 8 mile run late in the evening. Work towards a 13 mile morning and then 13 mile evening, then switch to a 15 mile morning and 11 mile evening etc. . . Does two a day's make any sense? I just saw an article of someone who was doing this and thought it made some sense to get your legs ready to run all of those miles in one day. The big difference is that I won't have a break during the marathon. Plus it would give me an extra day to recoup.
                              2011 Goals:

Why is it sideways?

Bearcat, I like doubles, but when I double, one of my runs is usually very easy and short (30 min). I think that the reason they work for me is that I have a hard time running easy enough on my primary run of the day, so it's a way for me to get in more volume without running myself into the ground. I know the purpose of the extra run--recovery and a little more time on the legs to build aerobic strength. It's easier for me psychologically to run slow if I know I've already run--or will still. Yes, I have a problem. So, if you're the type of runner who likes to push, then doubles might work for you, but I would recommend that you don't look at both runs as serious training runs (like the 13/13 double you mention). If you feel like you're not ready to run 26 miles at once and breaking it into two runs for that reason, then in my opinion you'd be better off running a distance that you feel more comfortable with in one run.
                              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I'm not ready to run 26 miles at my Marathon pace that is for sure. However, I can run 20 miles without too much problem. What I have not done is any double days so I wanted to start out slowly and work my way up. So many things I want to try but I'm not sure which one to try first. I do have a hard time slowing down sometimes. Especially if someone is trying to pass me. I don't like that. Since it does not happen very often it catches me off guard. Now don't get me wrong, every once in a while I run into a runner like you who I know is out of my league so running harder is futile but it still pisses me off. Anyway, off for my run of the day. I hope this 8 goes quickly, sure wish it would cool off here so I could run this one outside.
                                  2011 Goals: