Bit of a nightmare - advise needed!!! What speed should i be running at??? (Read 1090 times)

Hi All, Just wondering if I could get some advise. I am training towards the Dublin City Marathon which is 6 months away nearly to the day. I seem to be picking up little niggly injuries although I am warming up/down and stretching before/after runs. I have been running my long runs at about 10:30 min pace which seemed very easy for me. Do you think that, in fact, I may be running the slow runs a bit too quick even though it seems easy?!! I ran at 11:40 min pace this morning on a long run and at the mo everything feels fine. I have been running the last 2/3 months. My original goal was to run the marathon at under 4 hours but I think this has changed to just finishing - I will try beat my time next time around!! I am currently training 3/4 times a week injuries permitting - I was running 5 days a week but that was too much as I was picking up little niggles. Do you think if I done my long runs even slower that this would help with injuries? Can anyone recommend a 6 month training plan - running 3/4 times a week - my training log is viewable! Thanks so much, James
      Have you really only been running since Feb? Or is that just when you started logging at RA?
        It doesn't sound like you have the experience or the base to be training for a marathon this year, especially one that is only six months away. I would suggest spending this year working your way up to a base of 25 miles a week or more, gain some race experience by doing some shorter races and train for your marathon next year. You are already experiencing the symptoms of trying to do too much on your limited base and it will only get worse with training. You may also want to consider not stretching at all and using longer warm up and cool down periods instead. Stretching is not necessarily a good thing and can do more harm than good. I gave it up years ago and have been much better off since. Tom
          Cheers Tom! Yes I am thinking that this year might be too soon for me now! I really hope it is not and I am going to continue training and see how I get on. My plan was to run the marathon this October and then return to football after it. I am 29 so only have another 5 years footy left in me - then I was planning to return to marathon running!!! I think I will keep going though and see how I get on! Astrogirl - Before Feb I was running very erratically maybe once or twice a week and then some weeks no running - I play football so never really had the time!
          C-R

James, Quick question - are you playing competitive football and are you match fit? My answer will assume this and at least a couple of practices a week. As a former footballer, you've got the condition to get to the finish line if you add training. If you are, then October is not too far of a stretch. I would say to run slow and build up miles. Get a training plan from the local library (Higdon, John Bingham or Jeff Galloway). They have plans for first timers which come highly recommended. I've used Higdon with success. You will need to build strength to run 26.2 and the only way I've managed is through lots of miles. I've run a marathon on a long run of only 17 and weekly of 30 but I was very sore after the race. If my assumptions are wrong and you are not match fit and practicing during the week - wait until next year and build the base. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I used Jeff Galloway's run/walk "to finish" program religiously and enjoyed most of the training and absolutely loved the whole race experience. http://jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html The way I looked at it was I wasn't going to be able to cover 26.2 without walking at some point, I might as well take scheduled walk breaks throughout the run. Best of luck James.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

SMART Approach

James, When in doubt run slower. A HR monitor can be a nice tool also. Would be nice to go run a 5K race (if you are able to) to determine your current level of fitness. Don't rush this. Maybe you can do a marathon, maybe you can't - really depends on your aerobic condition before starting your running. I personally feel if you haven't run at all and you want to do a marathon as your first race, well, I wouldn't recommend it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JakeKnight

It doesn't sound like you have the experience or the base to be training for a marathon this year, especially one that is only six months away. I would suggest spending this year working your way up to a base of 25 miles a week or more, gain some race experience by doing some shorter races and train for your marathon next year. You are already experiencing the symptoms of trying to do too much on your limited base and it will only get worse with training. You may also want to consider not stretching at all and using longer warm up and cool down periods instead. Stretching is not necessarily a good thing and can do more harm than good. I gave it up years ago and have been much better off since. Tom
                  What he said. Too much, too soon. And that stretching may be causing your ""niggly" injuries."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

your "niggly injuries."
                    I think "niggly" should have had its own personal set of quotation marks. Very offended.

JakeKnight

I think "niggly" should have had its own personal set of quotation marks. Very offended.
                      As you wish, m'lady. Corrections made. A thousand pardons.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Big grin

Michelle

I'm thinking you should still set your goal to run it, but if you don't feel ready when race day gets closer, you could treat it as a training run, with walks as needed. Confused It would still be a wonderful marathon experience.

Michelle

I say you have time if you've got somewhat of a base. That marathon was fun! You will need to step up the mileage. You also need to get up to 5 days, min., I'd say. Why don't you step up the mileage and long run distances over the next couple months and reevaluate. My wife and I didn't register for that marathon until either September or October, so I doubt it will fill.

A Saucy Wench

If you feel better running slower, run slower. 6 months is early to be picking your pace. Plot out some other races on the way ....if they feel good, you'll know whether to proceed.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Cheers Tom! Yes I am thinking that this year might be too soon for me now! I really hope it is not and I am going to continue training and see how I get on.
                                Just a couple of points to consisder: I have a 22 year old niece who approached me last December about running the L.A. Marathon in March. She actually had more running experience than you but I still recommended she wait until the following year. She declined, ran the marathon and ended up with a severe case of an over use injury known as ITBS. She has not run since and will likely not be inclined to run in the future because of it. There is mounting evidence that running a marathon without adequate preparation puts a lot of strain on the heart and may even cause permanent damage or worse. If you decide to run one, which appears to be the case, choose a training program that get you to at least 45 miles a week. Even though your legs may not like it, your heart will at least be strong enough to survive it. Check out Marathon running can damage a heart. Good luck, Tom