Au revoir, ma caféine! (Read 888 times)

vicentefrijole

Kirsten, How much water do you drink before your runs? It's very possible that you're completely hydrated. Try doing your usual routine up to an hour before your run and don't drink anything during the last hour. That would let your body process all the unwanted water. You won't get dehydrated in an hour, unless you roll out of bed and go running immediately. Bring some water with you and take small sips along the way and see if that makes a difference.
    I have struggled with this water-balance issue too. From my little bit of experience, I think Mile Collector is right on: Hal Higdon's book recommends (before racing) that you stop drinking around an hour (i think?) before the start and then drink approx 12 oz, in the last 10-20 mins, on the starting line... the idea being that the volume you put in right before you start running will be absorbed and replace water that you sweat out (and thus not go right to your bladder).. However, that last volume depends on lots of things, I'd bet, including your personal physiology, level of exertion, and the temp/humidity outside. If it's cooling off, you won't need to drink so much before your runs (and thus it might be going to your bladder)? However, that doesn't mean you don't have to stay hydrated in the cool weather... you can loose a lot of water in the winter without even knowing it because the air is so dry. It's the balance that's the trick... Wink Also, urine color is generally a pretty good indication of hydration, I think (thirst isn't usually... it takes a while for your brain to send out the thirst signal). You will have to pee even if you're dehydrated (body still has to get rid of excess electrolytes) but it will be way darker.
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

It's just weird, 'cause I'm only drinking 12oz of fluid, but I'm peeing a LOT more than that.
      When you get out of bed, check the color of your urine to see if you're dehydrated. That might provide a clue to what's going on. I doubt that drinking water would be any worse than the soda. If it's a diet caffeine free soda, you're drinking essentially water. Definitely drink right after you get out of bed. Do you drink because you are thirsty, or do you feel that you must?
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Also, urine color is generally a pretty good indication of hydration, I think (thirst isn't usually... it takes a while for your brain to send out the thirst signal). You will have to pee even if you're dehydrated (body still has to get rid of excess electrolytes) but it will be way darker.
        I love running! Where else can we talk about ALL kinds of bodily functions and no one thinks it's out of place?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Definitely drink right after you get out of bed. Do you drink because you are thirsty, or do you feel that you must?
          It's probably a 50/50 thing...I am a little thirsty, but mostly I just drink because it's been so ingrained that I must be well-hydrated for a run. Oh, and you think the TMI thing is bad on a running board, you should see the discussions that go on on most mom-specific boards...hormones, periods, boobs, pregnancy, childbirth, episiotomies, menopause, etc. Bladder issues are just the tip of the iceburg for us girls. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, this is how I've felt, lately... toilet obsessed

~ Sarah Kay

The body makes some amazing adaptations to physical stress. During the summer, plasms volumes expand and as the weather cools plasma volumes contract, ie your peeing on your run. Because your not as hot as you were in say July, you do not sweat as much. Your central pressure elevates and your kidneys filter. Please do not give up your COFFEE
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Please do not give up your COFFEE
                I had coffee this AM and 0 problems during my 10 mile race (though I made sure I finished that coffee a good 90 minutes before I needed to head to the starting line)...at least not from my bladder... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, this is the reason I don't run all the time with my Camelbak (like our race yesterday). I tend to over-hydrate all the time, running days or not. I pee clear about 90% of the time! I was the one who didn't have to drink anything but my normal amount of water when I went for ultrasounds, and still had to "partially empty" my bladder beforehand. And I rarely drink anything other than milk or water & as you know, am allergic to caffeine. Not sure if my de-caff life has anything to do with my not peeing on runs or not. You & I have about equal bladder control (or lack thereof), so there is no "holding it" for a few more miles! Smile Try my method of chewing gum while you run. It keeps my mouth nice & moist so I don't feel dried out. Of course, on miserably hot & dry days (not that we have dry days in Michigan), I take water so that I don't dehydrate, and also on long runs (over 8mi's). But on shorter runs, gum seems to work great. It did yesterday, with just gum & a few drinks of water at the aid stations. Though I could have used a new piece of gum at about mile 7. Smile
                  So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I don't take my Camelbak on all runs, just my longest one each week (which is right now 10+ miles). Yesterday it worked very well, since I have a hard time grabbing a cup and drinking from it while running. I've gotten pretty good at using the Camelbak without having to slow down. Besides, I need something to attach the JBTU™ to and the waist strap works very well. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten Have you ruled out a possible UTI? I had one but never had any of the other symptoms (burning, etc.) but just felt like I had to go all of the time. Just something to think about! Laura
                      It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, until you lose.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, I don't feel like I have to go all of the time, so much, just mostly in the mornings--it's almost like my body is storing a lot of fluids at night and then it takes a couple of hours to clear everything out. But I have always been like that, it's just gotten worse since I was pregnant with my son. A few years back I had an appointment with a urologist and he confirmed that I am having a tough time emtpying my bladder fully, too, so I probably have some collapse issues (if I ever have a hysterectomy I would imagine they will have to do some work to tack my bladder into place) which are likely a major factor. I was supposed to have a follow-up with him, but he gave me the creeps something fierce. I also didn't like his bedside manner at all...very rude and condescending. I really should ask for a referral to another urologist next time I have my yearly physical. I also found that I didn't have to pee at all during my 10 mile race, but I also had a good 90 minutes after I finished all fluids before the start of the race. On most mornings I am lucky to have 30 minutes between finishing breakfast and going on my run, so I may just avoid fluids on running mornings and then hydrate myself once I return. On weekdays my runs are never longer than 75 minutes, anyhow, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue (especially since it's not very warm out anymore and I won't have to deal with hot weather runs for another 6 months or so). k

~ Sarah Kay

(especially since it's not very warm out anymore and I won't have to deal with hot weather runs for another 6 months or so). Send some cool air down here!! We're still at 90 degrees!! We're supposed to get a cool front tomorrow that will at least dry up the humidity! Dry hot is better that humid hot! Laura
                          It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, until you lose.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, that sounds like MI--we rarely get hot without also being humid. On the rare occasion when it is hot and not so humid it's actually pretty nice. k

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, that sounds like MI--we rarely get hot without also being humid. On the rare occasion when it is hot and not so humid it's actually pretty nice. k
                              Do we get that version of pretty nice in Michigan??
                              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                              cmd

I love running! Where else can we talk about ALL kinds of bodily functions and no one thinks it's out of place?
                                and running events where everyone is letting it hang out or squatting behind a tree pre race, and no feels the slightest shame... human beings...we all do these things right?