I think I have tendonitis (Read 77 times)

EricaG.Author

The muscle that is right next to my anklebone really hurts. Mostly when I just get up in the morning. It started after I ran my first 5K

an amazing likeness

Tendonitis is most often an overuse injury, and/or from impact and stress loads far exceeding what's been trained for. (example...running fast downhill generating a lot of forefoot slap when that's not been a regular part of training workouts)

Your description sounds like you've strained a muscle.  Either way, good old RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) is the standard approach.  Heat helps muscles heal, it doesn't help tendonitis -- limiting motion and use is best there.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had that pain and it turned out to be posterior tibial tendonitis.  It was an overuse injury.  I went to PT but it didn't help much.  It took a full year for the pain to go away.  Now I've been given exercises to strengthen my feet, legs, core, and hips.  I will try running again in September.

https://www.foot-pain-explored.com/posterior-tibial-tendonitis.html

SMART Approach

Posterior tibial tendon or peroneal tendon are likely giving you overuse symptoms. Does it hurt to walk? Do you feel it when running? Movement is good - active recovery and do whatever you can to increase circulation and lymphatics.  Avoid anything that discourages this like rest and cold. Do ankle exercises and a lot of one leg work, balances, moving/rocking while on one leg. While sitting, toe taps, heel lifts etc. to keep circulation going to help your body self heal. These can be persistent. It would be wise to not run for a week. Do some strength work and stay active and when you run next, get it real loose and warm and be aware of symptoms.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

EricaG.Author

thank you guys! I think I am slowly recovering. It hurts less and less in the day, but when it really hurts is when I wake up in the morning. I roll my ankles around in the bed and it goes away. I also started taking 100 mg of vitamin b6 yesterday which I believe has helped.

Yes, I have stopped running for a little while, and I just go for a walk. My first thought was tendonitis because I had tendonitis several years ago from violin playing. I took 2 weeks off and it went away.