Who Owns a Course? (Read 786 times)

Hi Eric and everybody, I've just recently started running again / using the site for the first time, and I really like it. Thanks for putting so much effort into it. I like the ability to see other maps created in my area, but I'm wondering if there is a way to figure out who created what route. For instance, I found a cool route that is very similar to one of mine that starts at my work, and I'm pretty sure it is owned by somebody who works here, but the place is big so I really have no way of finding out who it is. Is there any way to get that information through the current shared map interface? I'd love to find a new running buddy or chat about the area. Also, I'm curious who from my work is also on RunningAHEAD.

sean

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Hi Antihero This whole question of 'public' vs 'private' logs, courses and profile has had much discussion in the past. The issue hinges upon security/safety in these difficult times. In the end it was decided not to make the link of courses to people public ... but maybe there is an enhancement that Eric could add to the long list of good ideas where a 'private' request could be sent to the owner without any personal information being given to the requester without the owners permission. The owner could then decide if to reply or not. Thoughts everyone? Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

Ah, thanks Neil. That totally makes sense. I assumed it had been discussed before, I guess, just the forum search function didn't seem to be turning anything up. Anyways, I like the idea of being able to send a message or request to the owner of a route.

sean

eric :)

As Neil said, many folks feel uncomfortable having their routes publicly viewable. Their concerns are somewhat reduced by not having their information linked to these maps. One of the ideas I have is adding something that allows users to broadcast their general location, and letting them find each other and organize local runs. Hopefully I can get to that soon.

As Neil said, many folks feel uncomfortable having their routes publicly viewable. Their concerns are somewhat reduced by not having their information linked to these maps. One of the ideas I have is adding something that allows users to broadcast their general location, and letting them find each other and organize local runs. Hopefully I can get to that soon.
            Another thought might be to send a site message to the person that created the public course through this site that doesn't tell the person sending the message anything about the person who created the course. Then it could be up to the person creating the course whether to respond or not as they want to. You'd want to have an option that people could opt out of receiving those messages or site sent emails, though, and a way to keep that from getting hit by spammers. I think that might be what Neil was getting at.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)