Pers. trainers (Read 1007 times)

Lisa3.1

Who has had a pers. trainer for running, and who went without the club I go to has pers. trainers for as much as $132 I just was unsure if that's too much or common I'm guessing that there are runners who went without and did just fine Thanks Lisa Modified to add: as in a run club or running program that I suppose some health clubs have
    Scout7

Personal trainer, like at a gym, or do you mean a coach? The only time I've ever had a coach was in HS. Other than that, I've been on my own, and I think I'm doing pretty good.
      Lisa3.1

Personal trainer, like at a gym, or do you mean a coach? The only time I've ever had a coach was in HS. Other than that, I've been on my own, and I think I'm doing pretty good.
        Each has the same meaning as per the club I go to. I guess coach.
          Just start running. Don't make it too complicated. There is plenty of info on sites like this one to get you started. The only reason most people hire the gym trainers is to motivate them to show up and workout, as far as I can tell. If you need that kind of motivation, you probably won't stick with running anyway.
          pandajenn19

Hmm, well, I am a personal trainer, but other than giving clients advice on how to get started running, I cannot imagine charging someone for training sessions for running. Even when I've given advice on how to get started, it was just talking during the regular session. I wanted at one point to do a small group learn-to-run, but as a gym employee and not a independent contractor I wasn't allowed to take people off gym property, and treadmill training is not my idea of a fun small group session. All this rambling is to say I don't think the average runner would need a personal trainer solely for running purposes.
            Lisa3.1

Ok, I guess that ansers the question. I guess I can do without. Thanks
              Lisa3.1

Ugh, I guess going back to it, I asked a stupid question.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ugh, I guess going back to it, I asked a stupid question.
                  There no stupid questions Wink......just get out there and run, and have fun Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Scout7

No, not a stupid question at all. I think that a coach can come in handy. I don't know if a personal trainer at a gym is quite what you would be looking for, but your gym may be different, anyway. But I think a running coach can be very useful, for the right person. I know people who have used a coach, and I've heard mixed things. I think the best bet is one who can be there in person to see what you're doing. I think that helps a lot. The question of whether to get a coach or not depends on goals. If you are really committed to improving, and you want to put in the time and effort, then a coach is probably a good idea.
                    JakeKnight

Just start running. Don't make it too complicated. There is plenty of info on sites like this one to get you started. The only reason most people hire the gym trainers is to motivate them to show up and workout, as far as I can tell. If you need that kind of motivation, you probably won't stick with running anyway.
                      Well said. I may have to steal that. Especially the first two sentences. As for the original question - and its not a stupid one - I personally just don't see much need for a coach except for a couple circumstances. For someone truly, truly out of shape, who has no idea how to exercise, and no ability to motivate themselves, a coach or personal trainer might be a good idea. On the other end of the spectrum, for runners who've gotten pretty fast and are reaching for some specific goal - like a Boston qualifier or Olympic qualifier - it makes all kinds of sense to consult an expert or two. But for most folks, I think GreenRunning summed it up: Just start running. Don't make it too complicated. You can make vast improvements just running mostly slow and easy, slowly building your mileage, having fun running.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

I had a personal trainer at my local gym once. It was a ton of money, but he showed me how to use all the machines, and basically every strength trianing exercise ever known to man.. We never did cardio - that was my job on my own. He was strictly for weights and making sure you know correct posture, movement, repetitions and how to build up gradually. Everything was written down and given to me when done so I can always go back and see what weights I was at and how I progressed. I stilll use all that knowledge in my home gym. Well worth it. AWESOME

SMART Approach

I was an exercise physiologist for 13 years and did a ton of training. My area of expertise was nutrition, fat loss, supplements, body building and strength training. To be an effective trainer most of this knowledge you have to develop on your own by reading and experimenting. I had certifications but honestly feel there can be great trainers without certifications. I required it when I was in charge but a trainer's passion to learn is most important. When I started in industry I knew very little about running programs. My idea of a run was to just go out and run hard every time out. But, I was young. It wasn't until there was interest from clients that helped me do further research. I also started training the right way. Then I felt I had the knowledge to coach runners and did so but not from the beginning. I can tell you that I hired 25 trainers over my 13 years and 2 had a decent running knowledge because they ran in high school cross country. Their advice to beginners was shocking. They had no clue. I intevened and taught them the basics. Just be careful in choosing a running coach at a gym.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Who has had a pers. trainer for running, and who went without the club I go to has pers. trainers for as much as $132 I just was unsure if that's too much or common I'm guessing that there are runners who went without and did just fine Thanks Lisa Modified to add: as in a run club or running program that I suppose some health clubs have
                            IsMN: Rather timely inquirey... So you live in Twin Cities area, right? Where? When I first read your question, my thought was; "It wouldn't hurt to have some guidance in the beginning to get started..." Of course, I don't know about those club coaches; $132 per month or per year or whatever... whether you need them continuously. The issue I might have with completely relying on "internet coaching" is that's usually a bunch of us throwing a whole lot of different ideas at you; some sometimes opposing ideas; and might even make you more confused! I was a board member of MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association: www.runmdra.org)--not any more--and they provide a whole bunch of running programs; from beginners to advanced. As a matter of fact, I'm just meeting with 3 other coaches for "Beginning Women's Running Class" held in Maple Grove from the first week of April till second week of May to go over the entire program in about an hour! Yes, it costs (I can't remember exactly...$60?) but we meet every Wednesday, we talk about equipment, nutrition, stretching, physiology, biomechanics...one topic each week; and our goal by May is to run a 5k race. If something like this interests you, do let me know or check out MDRA information. Better hurry because this registration should close pretty quickly! We have some other training programs during the summer as well.
                            pandajenn19

Tchuck makes an excellent point. I don't know but maybe one other trainer at my gym who knows much about running, and even then probably doesn't know much about newbie running. Most of them looked at me like I was crazy for going out for a run between clients, or for biking to and from work. On the other hand, I know little of elite running, my personal experience and all the literature and even the one CE study I did are about learning to run and running up to the point of a first marathon. If you wanted someone to help you BQ, I could disseminate the info I know, but I couldn't give you practical knowledge of my own. So yes, I totally agree that if you do pick a trainer and/or coach, you should ask questions about their knowledge base and choose wisely. And I certainly don't think the topic is a stupid question at all!
                              Lisa3.1

I appreciate the re:'s I want to run longer distances than I am used to, and I am starting from scratch. Right now, I am in a run club, and beginning St. Patrick's Day is when I go in for training for marathon. When I used to run, I did it for fun, that's it, I knew nothing about tempo runs, fartleks, intervals, hill repeats and Runner’s lsd. Thanks again.