Calling all non-dairy vegetarians! (Read 1089 times)

I don't think we're alone, by any means.... Wink
    Before I had to pull the reins on the dairy, I had it all the time! And after I had my first and was nursing, I drank so much milk, I"m surprised I didn't "moo"! I remember my dad looking at me sorta surprised from across the dinner table when we over visiting once. I chugged 3 tall glasses of milk! I could not drink enough when I was nursing my kids! I definately helped the dairy industry in '99 and '02!!! Luckily, now, I have lots of soy subsitutes...LOVE the soy icecream and icecream bars! Sound yucky, but they are yum yum!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Soy makes me nervous. I already have estrogen dominance issues, so I avoid the stuff (sad, 'cause I LOVE Morningstar Farms stuff). I know most soy protein shakes taste icky, too. I can't imagine that soy milk or soy dairy subs wouldn't have that funky soy taste...do they really not taste kind of off? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...do they really not taste kind of off? k
        Well, probably if you just chugged a glass of soy milk today or had a soybutter sandwich, you'd say, "she's nuts"! It has "grown" on me a little...but honestly, and maybe my tastebuds are weird, but I love the stuff now! Until we found this Maranatha peanut butter, I wouldn't eat Jif vs. soybutter for anything. Actually, I still just go ahead and eat soybutter! The milk I can not to this day just drink a glass of the stuff. Although- I made some AWESOME "eggnogg" (it had no eggs) the other day that we just guzzled down! Turning it into chocolate milk is decent too...have to use regular as the vanilla for us is too sweet. So, yeah, they're a little off because they are a totally different product, but I think it's all great- at least the stuff we've used so far! But then, I substitute for eggs, peanuts and milk with everything. We're bound to be screwed up over here!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But then, I substitute for eggs, peanuts and milk with everything. We're bound to be screwed up over here!
          Wink As for PB...we only buy the Smucker's Natural--everything else is nasty. I don't care for the stuff with sugar and shortening added at all...they are slimy and too sweet. The health food store in Montague has a peanut mill and will make fresh PB, too, but they are $$. Nice store, though...ever been in there? k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

a peanut mill and will make fresh PB
            My favorite is one that lets you make almond or cashew butter. Our Wild Oats has this, and we were recently at a Trader Joe's that had these in jars. I have been eating cashew butter mixed into steel cut oats. YUM!
              Wink The health food store in Montague has a peanut mill and will make fresh PB, too, but they are $$. Nice store, though...ever been in there? k
              Utopian Market is it? Yes, a couple times! If the one in Whitehall doesn't have what I need, I travel onto them. They'll order anything that you need if they don't have it too!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Utopian Market is it? Yes, a couple times! If the one in Whitehall doesn't have what I need, I travel onto them. They'll order anything that you need if they don't have it too!
                Health Hutt is great, too! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

Well, probably if you just chugged a glass of soy milk today or had a soybutter sandwich, you'd say, "she's nuts"! It has "grown" on me a little...but honestly, and maybe my tastebuds are weird, but I love the stuff now! Until we found this Maranatha peanut butter, I wouldn't eat Jif vs. soybutter for anything. Actually, I still just go ahead and eat soybutter! The milk I can not to this day just drink a glass of the stuff. Although- I made some AWESOME "eggnogg" (it had no eggs) the other day that we just guzzled down! Turning it into chocolate milk is decent too...have to use regular as the vanilla for us is too sweet. So, yeah, they're a little off because they are a totally different product, but I think it's all great- at least the stuff we've used so far! But then, I substitute for eggs, peanuts and milk with everything. We're bound to be screwed up over here!
                  i love soy milk too! Smile Hannah used to have some issues with dairy a year or so ago, and for a while, that's what we were drinking...i should pick some more up next time at the store....
                  nemo1

There are actually a lot of traditional pizzas that have no cheese on them. Domino's does not deliver them, but you can find them all over Italy or New York. In Mexico, cheese is not commonly used. The use of a lot of cheese tends not to be traditional to the indiginous cultures, but rather an added ingredient once these things came into our culture.
                    Hey now! This just ain't so. I work for Domino's and I've ordered from other places and, at least around here, if you ask for no cheese on pizza they don't have a problem with it. In fact, it saves them a lot of money (cheese is white gold in the pizza industry in case you didn't know). And, if you want to really make sure they don't screw up tell them you're allergic/lactose intolerant, then they really make sure to be careful not to get any on the pizza. And they deliver it.