My Shoes are Ugly. (Read 1135 times)

I'm normally an Asics DS Trainer type of guy, but the big online retailers won't ship Asics to Canada and they tend to be outrageously expensive in the running stores.  So lately I've been resorting to the closest thing I could find, which is the Mizuno Elixir; I'm pretty happy with the fit and feel, despite the slightly higher heel. 

The problem is this:

They were jarring at first, but I've gotten used to them.  They're not that bad... the bright yellow is kind of offset by the black and silver. 

But now they've taken things to a whole 'nuther level:

COME ON!!  How can I expect the neighborhood kids to not make fun of me?!  How can I not want to punch myself repeatedly in the face when I'm running around in these things?  If they were racing flats, fine, because those tend to be ridiculous to begin with.  But these are just everyday trainers. 

I'm not really looking for answers here, unless you happen to be in Mizuno's design department; in which case, hold still while I kick you in the nuts in exchange for the visual nut-kicking that you deliver to me every time I tie my shoes.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My shes are dirty.

(The Brooks on the left, not the Vibrams on the right, even through they too are muddy)

The shirtless wonder

With running shoes I say the flashier the better!  My favorite so far were Mizuno Elixirs a few years ago that were bright yellow.  I loved that style.  My least favorite has been Mizuno Precisions that had a blue color that was nearly purple...and when you looked at the blue you saw GLITTER.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Okay, I'll play.

My latest Kinvaras:

I get comments as I run down the street...

Prince of Fatness

My latest Kinvaras:

Wow.  They uglied those things up.  I just started running in a pair of Kinvaras that I had bought early last year.  Not quite as ugly.

I tend to get the most comments (or looks at least) when I run around the block barefoot.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Finn, that is what my prior pair looked like.  They really spruced them up!

Here are Mrs. Monkey's:

mikeymike

I get comments when I run down the street too but I attribute it to my awesomeness and not my shoes.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

MrH

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I get comments when I run down the street too but I attribute it to my awesomeness and not my shoes.

I would as well, but the comments go something like:

• whoa, nice shoes
                      • wow, your shoes are bright
                      • damn! those are shoes?

So yeah, probably my awesomeness...

xhristopher

I'm increasingly embracing ugly/loud shoes. A neighbor commented on a pair just this morning and I told her there's more where that came from. Recently I found these (below right) for 29 bucks on clearance and they are turning out to be decent trainers. I think they are kinda ugly but Adidas has done much, much worse uglier with their Boston shoes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My favorite shoes ever were pretty garish...but I miss them.  There are a whole lotta people around the interwebs who have found nothing in NB's 900 series to be as awesome as the 902:

NB is doing away with the 900 series after 905 and replacing it with the 1190...now THIS is a fugly shoe!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Vibrams

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Finn, that is what my prior pair looked like.  They really spruced them up!

Here are Mrs. Monkey's:

I kinda like the pink.  Does that mean I'm gay?

Vibrams

Looks like your bare feet are slowly being reduced to bloody stumps...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac