I got a GARMIN! (Read 978 times)

So we opened a few presents tonight and I was so glad to get a garmin forerunner 305! Now I am just studying the manual to learn how to use it. Any one have any pointers, that would be great... Thanks
    keep running!
    PWL

Has been

I got me one too. I haven't quite figured it all out yet. I think it's smarter than me... Confused

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I got me one too. I haven't quite figured it all out yet. I think it's smarter than me... Confused
        Oh I know mine is smarter than me Big grin Welcome to the Garmie Club!
        2009: BQ?
          Love, love, love mine. I used it yesterday for the 1st time and was impressed. I tend to run too fast on my easy runs (and therefore am nursing a hamstring injury back to health and can't afford to run fast) so I set a workout to the amount of time I wanted to run and the pace I wanted to run it at...it was incredible-and completely accurate (distance wise). I was amazed at how easy it was to program (though there are more complex workouts-it was the one I figured out)! Sorry to go on...I never thought I would like something like this...but I am in love.

Dog-Love

I had to buy my own for Xmas, but I don't care how I got it....I got a GARMIN and I love it. I love it because it told me that this trail that I have always thought was 5 K (but could not drive it to find out) is actually 3.1 miles on the nose!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              I got a Nike+iPod kit. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to join the Garmie club.
              bap

I got a Nike+iPod kit. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to join the Garmie club.
                Boo iPods! Wink

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

PWL

Has been

I used one of those for awhile and was pretty happy with it actually. It is fairly accurate (enough for me anyway) and serves it purpose. The only issues I had with it were putting it in different shoes (I carved a hole out of the midsole of one of my non-Nike shoes) and its relatively short battery life. Apart from that, I was quite pleased with my Nike+iPod kit. Of course, now I have Mr Garmie who lets me know how much better off I am now. I have to go--Garmie beckons... Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

So we opened a few presents tonight and I was so glad to get a garmin forerunner 305! Now I am just studying the manual to learn how to use it. Any one have any pointers, that would be great... Thanks
                    There are several tips in other threads - just do a search for Garmin or Garmie in th eupper right corner of the Community page, and you'll find lots of good advice!
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

12 Squared

I've got the 205. I really like it a lot. It is much better than the Forerunner 101 I started with. I don't care much for MotionBased.com though. I like to use www.allsportgps.com. Happy trails.
                      If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
                        Is it sad that I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited about my run tomorrow that I will probably barely be able to sleep tonight? I cannot wait to use my Garmin. It will only be the 2nd time. CAN'T WAIT! And it is not even a race...just a plain ol' easy run! Big grin And to think, before now I almost never even wore a watch.
                          I got one for Christmas (early) and I love it. The main thing I like is being able to just start running and go anywhere I want without really planning it out beforehand. Here's a pointer, make sure you reset it before every new run. Hold down the lap button. If not sometimes it will continue on from a previous days run.

Dave

I'll put in my usual plug for Sportracks software. Free and amazing. Not affiliated, yada yad. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/index.html As far as pointers, learn to love the automatic lap feature and the custom fields for lap pace, lap time, and HR for current lap. I have a custom screen that I use probably 80% of the time with those fields and it really helps me pace. Much more useful IMO than the instantaneous pace reading.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Otium cum dignitate

I'm training for a Spring marathon and looked at the Garmin 205, but am concerned about how big and clunky it seems (especially during warm weather runs). Has this been a concern for anyone? Does anyone have any opinion/info on the Forerunner 50?
                              j0nheck

I'll put in my usual plug for Sportracks software. Free and amazing. Not affiliated, yada yad. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/index.html
                                Since you mention it, A shout out to my Apple friends: http://trailrunnerx.com Trailrunner looks pretty similar, and looks slick like rick.