Snacks you might keep in hotel for the night before the marathon (Read 318 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I couldn't think of a better title, but I am just curious. The plan for dinner the night before is to go to TGI Friday's and I plan to have the Bruschetta Chicken Pasta, and that worked great last year for the half marathon but I am not so positive it will be enough that evening. I plan to bring a pack of Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins (I've been eating those for a long time, usually before my long runs) and the Pumpkin Spice English Muffins, they have 29g of carbs to each muffin but I was just wondering what others might keep in their hotel room in case they get hungry throughout the evening after dinner.

Note: Race morning breakfast is going to be either a Cinnamon Raisin English muffin or a Pumpkin Spice English muffin with a little bit of peanut butter and a banana, 3-4 hours before the race.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kcam

A giant bag of potato chips.  My breakfast would be similar to yours ... bagel with a little peanut butter and maybe a banana.

Fanilow

If there is a microwave and fridge in my room, I bring milk and make oatmeal. Otherwise, I stick with granola bars.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

HermosaBoy

Pop Tarts  Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yuck on pop tarts lol, my room will have a microwave, mini fridge and a coffee maker (thank god). Of course I'll most likely have leftovers from the dinner. I just hope I can stomach food that morning.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

HermosaBoy

Yuck on pop tarts lol, my room will have a microwave, mini fridge and a coffee maker (thank god). Of course I'll most likely have leftovers from the dinner. I just hope I can stomach food that morning.

I like Pop Tarts and have been eating them before long runs and marathons for quite some time.  Easily transportable, don't require refrigeration and they are a known entity.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I like Pop Tarts and have been eating them before long runs and marathons for quite some time.  Easily transportable, don't require refrigeration and they are a known entity.

I used to eat them as a kid, but I've become obsessive with eating slightly healthier or not so processed foods, or foods with so much sugar. Love me some Cinnamon Raisin English Muffins though Smile

PRs

Mysecondnewname

I generally don't eat anything after about 5pm the night before.

However, in the hotel room for the 2 days prior to the race I have generally have bagels, pretzels, fruit (strawberries and grapes), bananas, peanut butter, jelly, Powerade, and some bread.   I make my prerace meal (PB & J, banana, and Powerade) and the rest I snack on in the 2 days before.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Last year we stayed in the Hilton in Indy (or one of them, the one closest to the start) - no mini fridge, no microwave  This time I made damn sure that the SpringHill Suites had all that.

Hilton even charged for WIFI, like $20 a night!!!!! When we stayed at a hotel in St. Louis for the Go! St. Louis Half in 2013, it was free and I figured it was that way in all hotels. Thankfully SpringHill includes WIFI in the bill.

PRs

Feeling the growl again

A cup of coffee and a couple Pop Tarts.  What you need to run a marathon and what you need to intake in general over time for a healthy lifestyle are two different things.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trader Joe's makes awesome Pumpkin Poptarts for the fall.  Insanely good.  And not much different than a cinnamon raisin english muffin......

Ready, go.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I haven't had pop tarts in over 10 years and I don't plan on starting back on them now, even if to fuel 

PRs

+1 on PopTarts. I credit them for my masters marathon PR.

jpdeaux

I had a box of Trader Joe's Organic Peanut Butter crackers Saturday night. Salt, carbs, and a bit of protein, plus their portability make them a perfect snack to travel with. I'm guessing they helped on Sunday.

xhristopher

If I'm traveling I like to find some fresh local craft brew for the night before. Not only is it a good snack, it's great for carbo loading.

Based on your breakfast interests I think you would enjoy some seasonal pumpkin ale.