2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

mt79

I took everyone's advice and only did a 3 mile threshold run this week.  It was hard running that pace in a park setting and through some sandy patches especially.  

your weeks are looking good but I'd say that as you're capable of 6:14 pace in a 5k those 1200s should to be faster, unless you're deliberately doing them at 5k(ish) pace.

According to the VDOT calculator, I'm supposed to run them at ~6:07/mile, so 6:00/mile pace was faster than required.  I'm not yet doing the marathon workout volume (8x1200) for that particular workout.  I would think that 6 miles of intervals at faster than 5k race pace is an adequate V02 workout.  This is one of his marathon training workouts.  I'm sure the workouts for 5k/10k races is much faster pace.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So, who is planning on starting up an 18 week Boston cycle this coming Monday Wink  Thinking I'll ease into a marathon cycle in the next 1-2 weeks myself. Coming off a fairly high mileage plan for my half so certainly thinking I don't quite need all 18 weeks, but I enjoy the training so here goes Smile

I’m starting Sunday, although my motivation has been lacking. I’ve gotten almost all of my runs in, but I haven’t been enjoying any of it. I imagine some of that is because it’s all easy runs, which I hate. I will probably go for 20 this Sunday though and then get into the quality stuff starting next week. This is my first spring marathon, and I’m finding going out in the pitch black and cold all the time to be a little depressing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

My 18 week cycle starts monday too. Not Boston though. Ive had 5 low weeks trying to deal with a niggly calf. Hopefully I can get into training next week.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

slingrunner

There is no way I'm ready to start training for Boston.  I've always done 18 week cycles, but I'll probably start end of January.  In the meantime, going to run about 40 a week with speedwork about once a week, and a lot of time on trails.  I'm not really enjoying running in the freezing dark.  I tried some vo2 max yesterday, and I didn't exactly set any PRs.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My 18 week cycle starts monday too. Not Boston though. Ive had 5 low weeks trying to deal with a niggly calf. Hopefully I can get into training next week.

I’ll be giving you a head start as I won’t be starting marathon training until after Santa Claus has been down our chimney to deliver some Christmas prezzies.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

finbad

I took everyone's advice and only did a 3 mile threshold run this week.  It was hard running that pace in a park setting and through some sandy patches especially.  

According to the VDOT calculator, I'm supposed to run them at ~6:07/mile, so 6:00/mile pace was faster than required.  I'm not yet doing the marathon workout volume (8x1200) for that particular workout.  I would think that 6 miles of intervals at faster than 5k race pace is an adequate V02 workout.  This is one of his marathon training workouts.  I'm sure the workouts for 5k/10k races is much faster pace.

yeah, that makes sense. I guess I think of 1200's as more of track interval sort of distance so always end up pushing it especially with only 4 reps, you're probably taking a more sensible approach.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

mt79

Hit the plan this week - 71 miles, 15 long run, 1 quality workout

Plan for next week - 72 miles, 16 mile long run, 1 quality workout - 1200 meter intervals

Date Time Miles Average Pace Notes
                2-Dec 2:10:48 15.03 0:08:42  
                3-Dec 1:05:34 8.04 0:08:10  
                4-Dec 1:02:14 8.25 0:07:33 3 Miles Threshold @ 6:30
                5-Dec 1:21:47 10.03 0:08:09  
                6-Dec 1:26:17 10.04 0:08:36  
                7-Dec 1:21:54 10.09 0:08:07  
                8-Dec 1:24:45 9.54 0:08:53  
                  9:53:19 71.01 0:08:21  

2 Weeks to go until I time trial a 5k/10k.  I don't know if I will hit my 18:40 goal or 10K equivalent, but feeling optimistic that it will be close.  I'm going to step up my workout pace this week to get acclimated to running sub-6 pace.

Swim5599

My week.  9 miles and a bunch of cookies

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

steve_

powered by plants

Hope everyone had a swell weekend.  I ran a 13 second PR on Saturday.  Pretty much an ideal race.  Perfect weather.  Lots of people to run with.  The only thing I'm getting tired of in Central Park races is lapping runners.  It's amazing how many people in these races can't cover the first 4 miles in less than 50 minutes.  Either way, here's my week:

M- 10 jog

T- am: 10 w/ 6x600 at 10k pace, 4x300 hard; pm: 30 min jog

W- 7 jog

T- 8 jog

F- 7 jog with 6 strides

S- 2 mi warmup, 15k in 56:29, 4 mi cooldown.  5th in AG and 105 OA.

S- 4 mi jog

65 for the week.  Shocked that I ran as well as I did.  Felt like ass all week.  Haven't done any sustained 6 min pace work in a very long time.  Let's see if I can take a run at 37 (not 36 as I originally posted) for the 10k and 80 for the half in January.  Easy week this week.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - nice job in the race! Just started following you on Strava. You would think the very slow people wouldn't be running in the winter, but then again, they need their 9+1.

Swim - Great week. I hope your cookie intake exceeded your mile intake.

MT - Good week. I'd be careful with running for 10 miles straight the day after threshold work, I usually do something shorter.

Me - As planned, I started Boston training. However, I didn't go for 20. I'm so tired of just running easy miles that I decided to do a 2x6 @ MP workout. Pace was a little quicker than I wanted, but that's probably because my legs are relatively fresh after not breaking 40 MPW over the past month. I have a lot of respect for you guys that go out there and run 80+ at all easy pace. I need workouts in order to a) get excited about a run during the middle of the week and b) add some more structure. Just going out for 60-90 minutes every day was killing me, and I only did it for 3 weeks and only 4 days a week! Anyway, mileage will now start picking up, shooting for 65 this week and then onward and upward to 85 for the cycle.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Dec 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Tue 11.1 7:28 Evening Run strava
                      Wed 11.0 7:18 Starting to get that dead leg feeling back strava
                      Thu 10.9 7:09 Evening Run strava
                      Sun 14.9 6:34 2x6 @ MP strava
                        47.9 7:04  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

MT:  Big week!  Looks good on your workout as well.  Looks like we finally have some cooler weather to run which is nice, well except for those pesky winds at times - like this morning!

JMac: That was one impressive workout to kick off a cycle.  Have to imagine that gives you alot of confidence going forward!

Steve: Congrats of the PR!!  Nice placement too.

Swim: Sounds like a succesful recovery week to me!

As for me just ran mostly EZ this week coming off my half last Saturday.  Got a little quick on Saturday morning in my 10 miles where I was able to bring it down to a solid tempo mile at the end though.  Was kind of fun to just to do that in a run when not really planning to from the get go.  Plan for this week is to build back up the volume a bit, add some more strides or even some 200's before jumping into some Q2 oriented stuff next week.  Figure the ~2 week buffer post-race is needed between cycles anyways.  I do have a 2 mile race Saturday night where I will see if my legs work again Smile

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Dec 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 7.2 7:29 Morning Run strava
                        Tue 8.2 8:01 Lightning and then some EZ miles strava
                        Wed 10.1 7:49 Mostly “EZ” bridge repeats 💨💨💨 strava
                        Thu 8.2 7:12 An actual midday run + strides strava
                        Fri 12.1 7:57 Ideal weather and good company! strava
                        Sat 10.1 6:28 That felt pretty good again strava
                        Sun 5.1 7:25 Too much cake last night! strava
                          61.0 7:30  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Steve - very nice job on the race.  Fantastic time and placing.

Jmac - I am with you - I need variety in my training.  Different paces, different routes.  I think that's one of the benefits of all my cross-training  - more variety and interest.

Weatherboy  - spontaneous progression runs are the best, when they sneak up on you (and fit well into your training cycle).

I'll copy my week from the 3:20 thread for the heck of it:

30 "miles" pool-running and 3000 yards swimming.

M: fly home.
                          T: nothing except junk food.
                          W. Yoga in morning, massage at night.
                          Th: 7 "miles" pool-running and injury prevention/rehab work.
                          F: 7 "miles" pool-running and 500 yards swimming plus injury prevention/rehab work in the morning; yoga mid-day.

Sa: 12 "miles" pool-running (had good company, so extended) and upper body weights/core.
                          Su: 2500 yards swimming and yoga in the morning; 4 "miles" social pool-running and injury prevention/rehab work mid-day.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - Read your post over on LRC in the weekly thread, thought it was great insight into training. I found a few things you said especially important, one of which is not to bury yourself with workouts. I found myself this summer on the brink of overtraining due to this. The worst was when I was trying to do MP work in 80 degree heat, 75 dew points at 11 am (ie sun overhead). I thought I slowed down enough to account for it, but I have never been so miserable in my life or dehydrated. I've come to accept that it's okay to bail on some workouts, or some reps. Zero bailed workouts means you're not working hard enough, bailing on workouts/reps weekly means you're working too hard. Bailing on a few in a cycle means you're training just right.

Also, what's next on the docket for you?

Weather - I thought you were starting Boston training this weekend, you duped me into doing a workout because I felt like I was gonna fall behind! I do think a little break makes sense for you given you just came off a huge cycle. Excited to see what you can do in a Florida winter.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - Zero bailed workouts means you're not working hard enough, bailing on workouts/reps weekly means you're working too hard. Bailing on a few in a cycle means you're training just right.

Also, what's next on the docket for you?

Yup!  I agree with the above.

Haven't really focused on what's next.  I like to give myself 10 days post marathon before making any major training/racing commitments.  So I'll ping my coach on Thursday/Friday with thoughts about what next year might look like.

In flagrant violation of the above, I actually did just buy refundable Amtrak tickets to NYC for Feb 3.  NYRR has a 4 miler that day that starts in Central Park, and I learned this fall that I can actually do NYC races if they start at 9:00 am or later without spending a lot of money on a hotel.  I just a) wake up in the middle of the night and drive 20 minutes to the train station for the 3:10 am train; b) sleep on the train to NYC; c) buy a day pass to a local gym to store my stuff; and then d) pick up my bib, warm-up, and race.  Worked very well for the Fifth Avenue Mile.  And if I buy the train tickets early enough, it's a very cheap trip (especially since nobody wants to ride the 3:10 am train).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

JMac - no I thought I might start this weekend too (one might argue that 10 miler did though), but thought twice when something like a LR of 15+ miles with quality was potentially needed to kick off the cycle all less than a week after a tough half.  I've had a lot of quality  over the past few months so figured the extra few days were more important now 🙂

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)