2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Swim5599

Tough time of year to be motivated, my motivation is the lowest it’s been the entire year. I’m not enjoying any runs. Maybe things will turn around for you come the new year, after the holidays are over with?

For some reason I never seem to lack motivation.  I love the marathon grind almost more then a great race result.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For some reason I never seem to lack motivation.  I love the marathon grind almost more then a great race result.

Hey, we're trying to be a bunch of grinches in here, don't ruin it with your festive mood and positive thoughts!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Lots of truth here. A few years ago I was just under a 2:00 HM and never wanted to run a marathon because 26 miles was too far. Now I'm pullin 40 mile weeks thinking it's not enough compared to the Sub 3s or even 3:20s pulling 60+. It's weird how other people's success motivates me sometimes and gets me to go run/holds me accountable when I'm sitting around being fat and lazy surfing the internet. Now...if I could sustain or find time for 60-70 mpw on a regular basis I'd be shocked, and going through shoes a lot more often.

I definitely find a lot of accountability with this community. I hate having to report back how lazy I was for a week, especially when you specifically talk about what objectives you will have for the week.

Regarding 60+ per week, I thought the same thing. It's addictive though. You probably thought 40 was impossible with a family and a job before you hit it, but now you're used to it. It certainly drains on me more now at these higher levels, but hitting new PR levels certainly makes it worth it .

Also, I may run CIM next year, and if you're running it, I expect a sub 3 out of you. No excuses, you have 12 months.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

On a second thought, all I wrote having a first thought might be irrelevant...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm with Swim in that I really enjoy marathon training - long runs with quality in them are honestly my favorite workouts.  But I probably like the race a bit more, if it goes well.

I'm grinchy in all other sorts of ways, though.

Did 6 miles easy today (9:04 pace) plus 1650 yards of swimming.  Nada yesterday - I travelled to the land of JmacSteve (well, sort of), and Rovatti for a conference.  No time to run while there - it was 5:00 am Acela up, then E train to the meeting site.  Then E train back down to Penn Station, and Amtrak back to DC, getting back to my house around 8:15 pm that night.  Long day.

NYC is just close enough that a day trip is doable, but it's still tough on the body when you're in a business suit and thus can't sprawl across both seats on the train and take a nap.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

steve_

powered by plants

I'm with Swim in that I really enjoy marathon training - long runs with quality in them are honestly my favorite workouts.  But I probably like the race a bit more, if it goes well.

I'm grinchy in all other sorts of ways, though.

Did 6 miles easy today (9:04 pace) plus 1650 yards of swimming.  Nada yesterday - I travelled to the land of JmacSteve (well, sort of), and Rovatti for a conference.  No time to run while there - it was 5:00 am Acela up, then E train to the meeting site.  Then E train back down to Penn Station, and Amtrak back to DC, getting back to my house around 8:15 pm that night.  Long day.

NYC is just close enough that a day trip is doable, but it's still tough on the body when you're in a business suit and thus can't sprawl across both seats on the train and take a nap.

Ha.  You can probably get to Penn by Acela faster than I can by the A train.

Regarding this time of year, I love it for racing.  November through March is simply the best.  As far as training goes though, I agree it gets tough.  Teaching is a good profession because it at least allows me the option to run workouts in the light after school.  JMac, at least you get to run in CPK where there's always gonna be other people running.  I see the same 5 or 6 people every damn day.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

slingrunner

High school teaching I assume TheSteve?  By the time I get out of my elem classroom I'm lucky to get a couple miles in without a headlamp.

I agree that this is a tough time to train during the week, but on the flip side I'm really enjoying my weekend runs (granted I'm barely throwing out double digits these days).  I've also run trails with a group the last 3 weeks.

Nike Vapormax 4% are back in stock at some sizes.  I'm waiting to see if I get any applicable gift cards next week, but I'm not sure about sizing.  I wear a 10.5EE in Ghost, and I've heard they run narrow and small...any thoughts of whether I should bump up to an 11?

How's your foot JMac?  I'm still wearing padding 100% of the time.  It still feels hard and mildly bothers me some, but I've mostly avoided any hard surfaces.  My legs are really knotted up which can't be helping... I'm trying to work on them but I can't keep up.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My week...

Mon - 14.4 @ 7:44

Sun - 14 @ 7.23 w/3 @ 6:30

Total - 28.4.

I obviously haven’t started Brighton marathon training yet, but I can’t believe how much fitness I’ve lost in the space of 4 weeks since my 10k...I was planning 6 at 6:30 today, but 3 felt like a 5k race (HR was actually higher than my last 5k). In my limited experience...you can make quick and decent gains on low mileage/fast workouts for 5/10k....but you lose it just as quick. I’ll stick to marathon training as that distance is my passion and I like the grind and reward when it all goes to plan. I’ve been working pretty hard in the gym/at home, mainly core and legs as it’s not just about mileage at my age! The thing I’ve learnt this year is that you have to adjust your training as you get older. I know what workouts I want to do...but I need more recovery and I need to be stronger otherwise it’s just injury again. Even when I’m not running I feel achy when I get out of bed in the morning! I’m not sure how Triboy/Strugglr will cope when he hits 50. 😧

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Even when I’m not running I feel achy when I get out of bed in the morning! I’m not sure how Triboy/Strugglr will cope when he hits 50. 😧

Well... We have to wait for awhile Mikkey - because according to Strugglr age is just a number. But by that time you and I will be in our 60s...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well... We have to wait for awhile Mikkey - because according to Strugglr age is just a number. But by that time you and I will be in our 60s...

We’ll probably have to join Rovatti in the 3:20 thread...unless someone starts a slower thread. 🐌

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

We’ll probably have to join Rovatti in the 3:20 thread...unless someone starts a slower thread. 🐌

I can't keep up with the whippersnappers on the 3:20 anymore...  What ever happened to that "turtles" thread??

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I can't keep up with the whippersnappers on the 3:20 anymore...  What ever happened to that "turtles" thread??

Maybe it’s in a user group that nobody new can see???

Swim5599

Yeah mikkey my fitness goes to hell when I take down time also.

second recovery week.  Pretty uneventful

mon 5 8:25

tue 5 8:23

wed 5 with strides 8:25

thurs off

fri 5 with strides 8:10

sat 10 with 6x1:00 on at threshold power (5:42) 2:00 off

sun 5 8:23

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikey you must be my twin as I'm going through all that stuff too. I've also started core following the "Pop Sugar " YouTube vids that strugglr uses.

My fitness is bad too. Just finished week 1 pfitz 18/70 on a calf that I didn't know if it would hold and a throat infection. I hope that you aren't too fast for Brighton so we can run together. Sub 3 will be a stretch unless I see good gains over this cycle.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

steve_