2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

weatherboy80

Hope everyone has a great holiday!

Steve & Swim: very solid looking weeks for recovery.  I also find it kind of hard to force myself to take some downtime.

Mikkey:  Still some decent loooking runs and you'll get that fitness back soon enough.

Sling, Darkwave, & JMac:  I have a love/hate relationship with marathon training where some days and runs are really a grind and I never want to do this again yet a few hours later I'm already planning my next week of mileage or looking forward to a big workout.

Me:  I guess I'm back in marathon training as I kind of overshot my mileage target a bit Smile  Certainly wanted to get the volume back up, but didn't really think I'd be back in the mid 80's just yet.  Although most of the running this past week was fairly EZ so it shouldn't hurt all that much.  As far as quality goes had a bit of a rust buster workout on Wednesday where we actually dipped in the mid 30's and it was sort of tough to get the legs going early on.  Then I jumped into a local holiday 2 mile race on Saturday evening where there is some pretty good young competition.  Ran a 10:38 and had 2.03 for the distance on my watch as the start was a bit crowded.  Not my best race by any means as I think I'm just a bit faster based on recent race times, but it was a good hard effort overall.  I think in a 2 mile race you need to push perhaps a bit harder than you think you can hold otherwise you leave a bit too much in the tank at the end.  Followed that evening race up with a solid 18+ mile LR less than 12 hours later so fairly happy with that.

<form>Weekly Summary</form>

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 16, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description Link
    Mon 10.3 7:29 Will run Hi-Point for muffins strava
    Mon 5.1 7:15 Trying out new shoes strava
    Tue 11.2 7:42 New zoo trail + strides strava
    Wed 3.1 8:24 Needed more miles to warm up strava
    Wed 6.2 6:15 Leg check: 2T + 1T + 800 + 400R + 8x200R strava
    Wed 2.1 8:26 Frozen down strava
    Thu 10.5 7:54 Cobweb removal on the trail strava
    Thu 4.6 7:17 Afternoon Double strava
    Fri 6.1 7:25 EZ + strides strava
    Sat 3.0 8:30 Warm up strava
    Sat 0.3 5:38 Strides strava
    Sat 2.0 5:14 Jingle Bell 2 miler strava
    Sat 3.1 8:32 EZ cool down strava
    Sun 18.3 7:20 17E w/ a few hills + 1@5:33 strava
      86 7:30  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - That's definitely a long day! I think trains though are my favorite mode of transportation.

Steve - I run at night, so I see almost nobody this time of year. Last night, I saw exactly 5 runners. Granted, that's because it was a terrible nor'easter with sleet slamming into your face when you ran. I do wonder though if that's adding to my lack of desire right now, I really enjoy the people watching aspect of running.

Sling - foot gets a little better each week. I sort of predicted this 2 months ago when this first came up, that it may just be something I deal with and takes a few months to go away. At this point, it doesn't bother me at all running, and almost never walking. The only time I notice it is after my run, after I take my shoe off. It's still a little tender in that case, but definitely trending in the right direction. I still use the pads in all my shoes.

Weather - Big week, as usual. Good to have so much speed going into this cycle. What mileage are you at YTD? You must be over 3K.

Me - Still not enjoying any runs. Sunday seemed to take the cake, having to run in similar conditions to Boston (upper 30's, rain mixed with sleet and snow, wind). Getting hit in the face with sleet is not fun. Going to try to keep grinding through this, hopefully January will turn things around. I completely bombed my Thursday workout. I was supposed to have 400s on top of it but I had no turnover in my legs. My 1200s weren't anywhere near V02 max pace either. A good sign that not running anything faster than LT for 3 months straight (including strides) can really hurt you.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Dec 10, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 16, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 7.0 7:38 Morning Run strava
      Tue 11.0 7:25 Evening Run strava
      Wed 10.9 7:24 Morning Run strava
      Thu 12.4 7:27 6E + 4x1200 + 2E strava
      Fri 6.9 7:56 Morning Run strava
      Sun 11.0 7:16 Evening Run strava
        59.2 7:30  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Hi all, sorry to alter the tone and bring some positivity to the thread but I've had 3 short, slow, runs over the last few days without issue. All very tentative but hopefully on the mend. In further good news - I've managed to reschedule my upcoming vasectomy for just after Boston so won't have a 10 day sore-ball hiatus in March.

In my running downtime I've realised how boring swimming is but have manage to go up a weight in kettlebells and can now hold a plank for 4.5 minutes, which is only 30 seconds less than Cher can do, gotta be happy with that.

I like how MT79 has been posting his weekly goals up in advance for a bit of accountability so I'm going to do the same.

This week's goals - run 5 days, do one workout, one run >10miles

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

kramrunner

Another on the struggle bus. I've been dealing with some nonsense with my left medial ligament/ankle joint. I've done rest and it's only getting better very very slowly, so back to trying to log miles and deal with some new chronic fun. I've been able to run the last 6 days, so hopefully a steady diet of easy miles until the new year will sort me out. Can't wait until this damn injury infested year is over.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Wow its all doom and gloom on here.

Thank goodness for Finbad bollocks operation to keep us happy 

I may be also struggling with sore legs etc but dont want to add to the misery !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Finbad - The good news is that you can hold a plank for twice as long as me. The bad news is that the WR for holding a plank is over 8 hours which means that we really need to up our game. 😳

Weatherboy - Congrats on the 2 miler and great week overall. 👍

Kram - Sorry to hear about the ankle and hope you can still log some easy miles.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Thanks guys. Kram and Fin - truly hope you have turn the corner. Looking forward to a healthy start to 2019!

Jmac: looks like I'm at about 3700 (not going to make 4K - lol)  for the year which is a 125 or so ahead of 2017.  Hoping that pays more dividends in the longer stuff!  Have my first big Daniels workout tomorrow which is a 4 X 2T after some EZ mileage.  May lean towards the slightly conservative side of the threshold and marathon paced stuff for now since we are still more than 16 weeks out.  Plus Daniels argues to be about 5-10s slower than goal paces early in the cycle.  I think that keeps some of these mixed LR/workouts manageable for the time being!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram and Fin - Get healthy guys, you're part of this sub 2:40 push!

Weather - I definitely don't do his workouts according to goal pace anyway, more based on feel / current fitness. There's no way I could do the LT associated with sub goal pace. I think you have great insight into your fitness so just go with your current VDOT and you'll be set.

Mikkey - when does your plan start, new year?

Piwi - Be careful with the mileage buildup, I was looking at your Strava and you essentially had 5 weeks off/down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - when does your plan start, new year?

Yeah pretty much, that’s 15 weeks which I think is plenty of time to get in decent shape. If I press into my iffy hamstring it’s still not 100% so I’m going to stick to easy running for the rest of the year. I’ve never followed a set plan, but I dug out my old Spring 2016 training log to get some inspiration (it’s hand written 😀) which was easily my best cycle - average 76mpw over 16 weeks (103 peak) plus strength training 3 times per week. Happy days and really hope I can do it again! I’ve added deadlifts to my strength training which should help the weak butt/hamstrings!

Very impressive start to your marathon training and I like your bold Sub 2:40 goal. Honestly? I think you’ll be the fastest finisher at Boston on this thread (or 2nd fastest if Slammin starts posting 😀)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Always a great idea to get strengthening in before a cycle, I think that's super smart if you're going to go for high mileage. Piwi is taking the early lead, but I think his calf bothered him today on his run, so I hope he heals up.

Thanks on the encouragement.. Cal said I should go for 2:42 first, but I say go big or go home. Similar to the accountability that Finbad spoke about a few posts ago, I'm throwing out an aggressive goal to keep me honest. If I just say I'm going for a "PR" I'm not going to have as good of a cycle. I think sometimes we sandbag our goals a bit to make ourselves feel better when we hit, but I'm going for broke.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It doesn’t matter if you end up running a 2:42....you’ve got a winners attitude which I like. 👍

Swim5599

Always a great idea to get strengthening in before a cycle, I think that's super smart if you're going to go for high mileage. Piwi is taking the early lead, but I think his calf bothered him today on his run, so I hope he heals up.

Thanks on the encouragement.. Cal said I should go for 2:42 first, but I say go big or go home. Similar to the accountability that Finbad spoke about a few posts ago, I'm throwing out an aggressive goal to keep me honest. If I just say I'm going for a "PR" I'm not going to have as good of a cycle. I think sometimes we sandbag our goals a bit to make ourselves feel better when we hit, but I'm going for broke.

I like the goal.  Boston s so tricky.  On an ideal day a 90 second positive split is probably ideal.  You try to bank time on that course and it could be a brutal last 8 miles.  Requires some thought out there.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

On RWOL, we used to have an expression "BOTT" (Balls on the Table).  Seems to apply here.

As for Daniels - my observation (which may have been repeated here) is that you have to water it down some, either in paces or in volume of fast running (i.e. converting 1 mile to 5 minutes) to have success with it.   I've seen it work for people, but never if the goal is ambitious.

Finbad - damn you and your positivity!

Mikkey - fwiw, I'm a big fan of the deadlifts and other working with heavy things in the gym as a way to improve running - I hope it works for you!

Swim - I agree with you that a modest positive split is ideal for Boston.  Problem is - most people who go for a modest positive split end up with a major one....

I don't think I shared my past week, so here it is, in all its glory.

39 miles and 7 "miles" pool-running.

M - 70 minutes pool-running and yoga.

T - 6 miles (9:47) and upper body weights/core. (first run post- CIM)

W - 5 miles to yoga (9:40), yoga, and then 3 miles home (9:02).

Th - off - business trip to NYC from DC - leave home at 4:30 am, get back at 8:15-ish pm.

F - 6 miles (9:04) and 1350 yards of swimming.

Sa - 9 miles (9:29) and upper body weights/core.

Su - 10 miles averaging 8:28, progressing down from 9:30s at the start to 7:30s at the end. Followed with leg strengthwork and then 2350 yards of swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - First, I love the BOTT acronym. We need more of that! Now, a bit more selfishly - Why do you think that people aren’t successful with him if the goal is “ambitious?” I was able to progress from 3:12 to 2:46 with him, so obviously I have a lot of faith in what he does, but always interested in hearing the other side. I’ve always read this criticism on LR and I’m obviously worried if at some point I’ll experience that his plan doesn’t work. I do agree on the watering down part though: I don’t necessarily water down the T distance, but I definitely up my rest to a 5:1 ratio. For example, I did 8E + 4T + 3T yesterday, and I took 4:40 of rest after the 4T instead of the prescribed 4:00 because I wanted to get close to the 5 to 1 ratio.

BOTT

Balls on the table Finbad 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "