2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave: Since you're a reading runner here are another couple books I read a while ago that I liked. Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn and a follow up to that by the same author, The Way of the Runner. The author spent about 6 months living in Kenya at a training camp in Iten, and mingled/ran with a lot of big names. It was very interesting to see what the culture and training was like. The second book was about him living in Japan and learning about the ekiden racing tradition, and running with an ekiden team. The contrast between Japanese and Kenyan running culture is striking, as is the ekiden system and how important it is in Japan.

Thanks - I've read both.  Preferred the second, just because I was less familiar with Japanese running culture than Kenyan.

And thanks for the compliments on the cat insta.   It amuses me.  I get a bit annoyed at the absurd running instagrams with carefully cultured comments and photoshopped/filtered images of narcissistic runners.  You know the type - just the perfect picture combined with an "inspiring" comment.  So I decided to do a running instagram, but where all the pictures are either of my defective cats or the destruction they have wrought.     I have an odd sense of humor.

Finbad - sorry about the back - core isn't supposed to work that way....

Steve - sorry about the ick.

Jeebus, lot of injuries/illness going around - stay healthy, guys.

11.5 miles for me today, including 4 hill repeats (~2:00 up, 1:30 recovery, 30 second downhill stride, 1:00 recovery).  Workout is supposed to be 6-8, but coach kept me to 4.  I suspect this was mainly because I was the only one that showed up for the workout this morning, and he was sick and wanted to go home.  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.  Swimming ended up not so recovery since I decided to hammer a bit on the last 100 yards and set a new PR (1:33:39)  [yes, I know slow, but fast for me]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Finbad: How's the back doing?

MT79: How's the running going? Did you run your 5k/10k time trial yet?

Weather: Great LR today, a solid JD type of workout!

Me: Last full week for 2018 and I'm pretty happy with it. The first 2 runs were in MI and as usual were faster than my typical easy pace; something about MI that makes me run faster; probably the lack of hills. After today's run my calf finally feels close to normal. Hopefully I can start to do some quality in the next week.

2978 miles for the year as of today. No way I will do a 22 miler tomorrow so I'll be short of 3000 but not too concerned about that.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Dec 24, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 30, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
      Mon 8.1 7:22 Morning Run 74 strava
      Tue 10.1 7:36 Lunch Run 86 strava
      Fri 14.0 8:07 Lunch Run 712 strava
      Sat 7.3 9:28 Trails in Sega Park 517 strava
      Sun 15.3 8:16 Morning Run 805 strava
        54.8 8:08   2194  

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

First off Happy New Year and congrats to everyone on getting through 2018 Smile

Most importantly hope everyone heals up!

Thanks JT on the kudos for my run!  Our heat is back in full force to close out the year so it was extremely tough.  Looks like you are building back your mileage nicely.  Glad the calf is feeling somewhat normal again.

JMac:  Really hoping that this break has helped your issue?

Steve: Nothing wrong with a cutback here and there.  Nice week.

Fin:  Ugh, sucks on the back Sad  Agree on the core work though.  I've been trying to hit something core related most days of the week even if it is for 10-15 minutes most nights.

Darkwave:  Sounds like a great run!

Overall, very happy with my last week to round out the month and year.  Had a nice speedy session of 1200's on the track on Wednesday for my first Q day and then had a very soupy mixed LR this morning with 6 threshold miles (2 X 2T up front and then another 2T towards the end) and got in 20 total.  Also added some easy to moderate hill work on two different days. Scheduled a slight cutback week (prescribed by Daniels every 3-4) for this upcoming week.  Looks like I'll round out 2018 with about 3,850 miles which is by far my biggest year yet!

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Dec 24, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 30, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 12.4 7:17 Christmas Eve EZ bridge/hill repeats strava
        Mon 5.1 7:27 Trying to work off the cookies 🍪 😎 strava
        Tue 8.7 7:21 Merry Christmas!! strava
        Wed 10.3 7:51 A bit too much Christmas cheer strava
        Thu 5.1 8:00 Warm up strava
        Thu 6.5 5:59 6 X 1200 + 2 X 200 strava
        Thu 3.1 8:02 Cool down strava
        Fri 10.3 7:48 Summer hills strava
        Sat 5.2 7:22 Fog + strides strava
        Sun 20.3 7:22 2E + 2X2T + 60min E + 2T + 4.8E strava
          87.0 7:26    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JTReeves - solid end to a solid year - glad to read the good news about the calf.  I wonder if you also run faster in Michigan because you're on vacation from work (presumably) and so more rested/relaxed?

Weather - solid week for you as well.  Your Wednesday title amused me.  1200s looked solid - your progression downwards was gorgeous, and something I try to emulate.

My week:49 miles of running and 24 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 9 "miles" of pool-running. Foam-rolling at night.

T: 11 miles, including three mile repeats in 6:30, 6:23, 6:14, with 2:00 jogged recovery between each. Followed with leg strengthwork and recovery swimming. (yes, there was a gym open on Christmas day). Foam-rolling at night.

W: 7 miles very easy (9:34), yoga, and then another 5 miles very easy (8:55), followed by drills and strides. Foam-rolling at night.

Th: Upper body weights/core and 9 "miles" of pool-running. Foam-rolling at night.

F: 11.5 miles, including four longer hill repeats (2:00 uphill, 1:30 jog, 30 second downhill stride, 1:00 jog) and four short uphill reps (70 seconds uphill, 2:30 jog). Followed with leg strengthwork and recovery swimming. Foam-rolling at night.

Sa: 10.5 miles very easy (8:52), drills+strides, yoga, and then another 4 very easy (8:50). Foam-rolling at night.

Su: Upper body weights/core and 6 "miles" of pool-running. Foam-rolling at night.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Swim5599

Hope the beat up guys heal up quickly

weather pretty sick week brother

JT glad the calf is cooperating.  Nice to catch That early.

i actually don’t really know how many miles I ran this year, but so thrilled with how the year ended up.

A little more substance this week

mon 6 with strides 8:15

tue 6 with strides

wed 10 with 30 min at Mp power (6:25)

thurs 6 8:18

fri 10 with 30 min at Mp power (6:26)

sat 6 8:13

sun 15 as 11 easy then 8x1:00 on at 5k power (5:18) 2:00 off

a little stuck in the mud during the short tempos this week but the fartlek was pretty much crushed

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

steve_

powered by plants

Happy New Year everyone.  Weatherboy, that long run is ridiculous.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though.

Feeling a lot better, but this stupid cold is certainly lingering in our house.  Hit my wife a lot harder than me.  Even one of my cats has a cold.  Good times.

My week:

M- 11 easy (too fast)

T- 12 (failed workout.  Supposed to be 4 x 2000, 1000, 500 at MP, HMP, faster than HMP.  Made it just past halfway, but it obviously wasn't working for me.  Jogged the rest of the mileage just to complete the day)

W- 3 jog

T- 4 jog

F- off

S- 11 easy

S- 11 easy

52 for the week.  4234 for the year (not including today).  Biggest year ever, definitely my most consistent.  Averaged 81+ mpw but only cracked 100 2 times.  6 days off total.  Just over 600 hours.  Just a reminder to everyone that the Strava total mileage that you see on your dashboard is wrong and doesn't count the first week of the year.  If you look at your "training log" screen from Jan 1-7, you'll see that it's mislabeled as "Dec 1-7".  Apparently tech support there knows this and hasn't been able to correct it.  One more reason to maintain an excel log as backup.

I'll see how I feel this week before deciding about next Saturday's 10k. I'll probably race, but we'll see.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

finbad

Hi All, back is still knacked, cant run but trying to be sanguine and just wait it out.

I suspect that my problem was doing core stuff straight after I got back from a 2 hour run when the muscles were already fatigued. Once I was pretty tired during plank I think I dropped my hips down a bit too much to stretch out and injured something. I'm mostly posting this up here so stop anyone else doing something daft like that. See you next year.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey everyone. PTT is still going strong, and I actually have an infection in my same foot due to a cut, so I'm really down and out on training. I think this PTT is not going to be a minor injury as others have alluded to.

Big week for Weather, he's out there just killing it week after week. Glad to see JT out there strong again.

You guys that put up 3K+ in my miles are amazing, but Steve: 4K+ is absurd! Well done.

Swim, glad to see that you're posting again regularly. You had a great year.

DW - will be good to have you throughout 2019 on this thread.

More importantly, who is our thread leader for 2019? I'm taking over the sub 1:30 thread so I can't handle two threads at once. I nominate Weather since he's the most consistent guy out there, but I also like JT due to his overall enthusiasm and good nature. No idea who has run this thread recently so if either of you have, you get a hiatus, sort of like completing jury duty.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Happy new year to everybody here.

JMac- hope your injury turns out to be not as big a deal as you thought.  How is your foot? I'm still wearing inserts, but I haven't had any pain in weeks, however I can still feel to the touch it's stiffer

Steve- That's some serious dedication with your mileage.  Not sure where you find the inspiration.  What's the plan for 2019?

JT- Also an impressive yearly total.  I'd probably be tempted to grind out a 22 miler if I was in your position.   Glad you are feeling healthier.'

Darkwave- As I alluded to earlier, I found your CIM race report inspiring.  Trying to pick up the pieces from my crushing last marathon, so it's good to read about success.

Weather- That's some serious mileage there all run at a good pace.  You must be feeling strong these days.

Me- Just maintaining a base here.  Taking advantage of time off from work to get a high mileage week in (mid60s) and lots of painful sessions to try to rid my calves of knots.  My regular paces are fine, but I'm 10 lbs over race weight now so my speed is a bit off.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Weather: That's a great week, as usual from you. And an outstanding year as well. Huge PRs in the full, the half and 5k. I think there are big things in store for you in 2019, if you continue doing what you're doing you should be able to get a sub 2:40.

I was thinking who has been most consistent and most improved on the thread this year, and I think it goes to Weather for both. Basically year round he got in big weeks with a lot of high quality stuff, and very little down time or injury. Also a huge PR in the marathon and the shorter distances as well.

Certainly a lot of other break-through races by others this year: JMacs 2:46 at NYC (which is equivalent to 2:42 on a flat course, right Steve ), Finbad's 2:47 at London, Madison's 2:37, and the CIM crew (PRs for Swim 2:46 and Darkwave 2:57, and from nothing to 3:02 for Cal in 3 months). Also though Mark is mostly posting on the 1:30 thread, his recent 16:02 for 5000m was outstanding. That guy has some serious wheels.

Darkwave: Nice week, great that you are getting back to some quality already after CIM. Not sure how your year was overall since you joined here later in the year, but getting a marathon PR and breaking 3 makes for a great year IMO. As far as your comment on me being more relaxed in MI; that is definitely true as I am always off work when there, but I've been off work here the last several days and still the pace is much slower here. Who knows, something magic in the air over there....

Swim: As JMac said great to have you posting here and it was an excellent year for you as well with the marathon PR. Nice quality and speed in your week.

Steve: 4200+ miles for the year; that's hard to imagine! Do you typically get around 4000+/year? It definitely seems like the marathon, or maybe even ultras should be your sweet spot given your high mileage tendency. I know you mentioned something about focusing on shorter stuff, but hopefully you'll give the 'thon some more tries. Sub 2:50 should be possible especially on massive mileage like that.

Finbad: Hope that heals up quickly. You've given me the impetus to stop doing planks, though not much impetus was needed anyway for that.

JMac: Sorry to hear about the PTT. I looked up what it said about that in the Noakes Running Injuries book, and it was not very instructive. Just said that the treatment is the same as for PFPS (runner's knee), Achilles tendinosis, and plantar fasciitis. Also that the cause is thought to be due to excessive ankle pronation. I hope you figure out how to get rid of it quickly. Since you were mostly coming off of some down time, it seems like it was due to all the quality in that last week, rather than being something due to cumulative wear from your last cycle. So in that regard maybe it will be quicker to heal.

Sling: Nice job getting the mileage back up. Be careful not to bugger up your calf like I did, it lingers for quite a while.

As far as the thread leader for next year, I agree Weather would be excellent, as would Mikkey or Darkwave. If none of those 3 is willing to do it then I would.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

As far as the thread leader for next year, I agree Weather would be excellent, as would Mikkey or Darkwave. If none of those 3 is willing to do it then I would.

Go for it JT as you tick all the boxes and would be a great thread leader!  I’ll probably join Rovatti in the peanut gallery this year and heckle post as and when I feel the urge. My RA training log is public and most of you can see what I’m doing on Strava anyway (not a lot)

Steve - Wow, that is ridiculous mileage for 2018...and it wasn’t all jogging either!

Happy New Year y’all.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

steve_