2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

kramrunner

Toledo week 07/16
    M      01 19 09          9.3       tm w/ 8x hill (10%/9mph/15s)
    T       01 36 15        12.2         w/ 4wu + 2x5k@5:52 + 2x200@12.1mph + cd, 0.5%, rec: 180s static, HR: >170 @2.4, 1.2; <140s @50s, 60s
             00 37 25         3.65       recovery - legs felt like jelly
    W      00 33 37         4           easy
             01 09 45        7.58       easy
    Th    01 23 03         11          w/ 4wu + 6@6:58 + 1cd
            00 32 34         3.59       easy
    F      01 10 00         8.4         easy
    S      01 59 38        15.3        tm w/ 12 + 2/1k@6:15 + cd, 0.5%
    S     01 59 47         15.38       
                                   ====

Another week down. Happy overall with the workouts and being able to get my mileage up too. The Tuesday session was great. There's really nothing like long T pace repeats to toughen you up. Work intervened on Fri night meaning I made it to the gym late on Sat morning and got stuck on a tm in no mans land between the fans, hence a sweatfest and I'm not practicing for Boston. I had wanted to do 4-6 at something around M pace, but was hurting quickly and so I eased off to survive another day. I lost ~4% bodyweight during the session, so I certainly got some work in. Got a solid 15 miler in yesterday to finish of the week, onwards!

Lela: Good job staying flexible with your training schedule. That's a really solid 8mi effort on Sunday too. Start as you mean to continue!

Dopplebock: Welcome back. Gotta echo what's already been mentioned in that I think you're putting a lot of interval work in while trying to build mileage from a very low base. Be careful!

Paul: Great RR. Seems like you were in control all the way and made a good decision to drop down. I find it hard to get my head around all the elevation madness you ultra folks do, nevermind having to bake in 80+ all day. Hardcore!

Watson: Good job creeping your mileage up. Running in the heat sucks.

JT: You'll enjoy the martian as long as the weather cooperates. The running fit guys always do a good job putting on a solidly organized race. They've had a couple of really cold years lately, but I've done the full (1st hot day of year, 70F cooked me - https://www.strava.com/activities/358356462) and the half a bunch of times, a quasi-blizzard and it might have made it to 33F at the finish the last time around. The twisty neighbourhood stuff over the first 7 miles looks worse than it is, but you'll have to concentrate to make sure to hit the tangents as I bet it's easy to run the long way around in here. The other thing to note is that you'll be coming into the half races on the way back, at sub3 you might hit the 1:20-1:30 guys, which could really help.

Regarding my running: Last cycle I did the Daniels plan with a big Tue Q session and then another on Sat. Basically the Tue sessions (17-20mi) were killing me by the end of it so I want to change things up this time around. So my plan is to ease off on the Tue, basically keep the Q work the same and reduce the easy volume mile but double up that day to keep the volume about right. I also want to do more work at 90% marathon pace and the reduced Tue volume allows me to get work in at that pace on Thur. This should hit the fat/cardio boundary and be helpful. I'm also trying to do a few long runs at 90% pace too. Yes, I've been reading a bunch of Canova stuff.

Weatherboy: Great week and clear evidence that your legs have some life back in them. A couple more weeks like that and you should be in good shape for Boston... until 20mi at least Wink

Swim: There we go, almost time to ditch the training wheels! Are you going to keep up the aqua-jogging when you get back or is there anything else from your recovery that you plan on keeping/adding to your training from now on?

Finbad: Knocking out quality LRs like clockwork at the moment. Impressive!

Andres: Great work holding a solid week together with that cold. That mid-week MP workout looks real good and your plan to get another 2 in should put you in a good place to start that Spanish mini-taper.

TN: Awww man... tough to read. I hope that the heel drops get you right soon.

Matt: Good to see you plugging away. You're certainly in close to sub3 shape as your 10mi attests. A few more good weeks and make an appropriate sacrifice to the weather gods!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

weatherboy80

Kram: Huge week!

Dopple:  Welcome!  As my doubles I tend to do that more as a EZ/recovery just to keep the legs moving throughout the day.  I usually do them at least once or twice a week, but generally try to avoid them if I'm below about 65-70 miles per week.  It's also a way to break up our runs in the heat here (FL).

Paul: Nice looking week.

JT:  Agree with your sentiment on the 10K.  Think I was already there on a perfectly flat course in cooler conditions.  Mid 35 range sounds about right if I focused on that distance for a few weeks as well.  Good luck training for the Michigan attempt!

Lela:  Another solid week.  Couple of good workouts in there as well.  Looks like I picked the wrong time to visit western NY!

Andres:  Looks like we are both back to summer time runs again as well which I don't enjoy (especially in Feb), but it should prove useful for whatever we encounter come Boston.  As for a Boston PR attempt, agree that it could very well be done, but I've already sort of committed to pacing a friend trying to break 3 hours.  He is the same friend who I paced to a 1:21 HM in late November so he's in shape to go into the mid 2:50's (or even slightly lower) with good weather.  It will still require a solid race effort from me to maintain that pace for 26.2 and through the hills, but it takes the pressure of a bit especially in training come late March and when on our Italy trip.  Plus it will let me take in the Boston experience (hopefully) a bit more than if I was focused on a new PR attempt.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

DoppleBock

When I do 5x1 min = 5 x 1 minute .... it is not a workout that creates damage ... it is like a strider.   The goal is work of stride efficiency.  The 20 @ T is the only workout I will be doing the next couple of weeks that is a "Workout"

The goal of the rest of my mileage is to me slow and easy.  I just need to see if I can build up my stamina to the 50 mile race.  Because I am taking walk breaks it is easier than easy pace.  Currently I am doing a 6 run / 2 walk on most my runs.  Sometimes I will run a whole run without a walk break.

In my current fitness I have no right to be in this forum ... but I need a place to be accountable to keep working toward a fall sub 3.

I will do some training that you will view as "Risky" from time to time. 

Everyone is on their own fun ride

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

weatherboy - I used to be the king of doubles and triples - I ran 72 times in March once with a goal of running as many miles as possible.  It only included 4 days of singles.  The double as a recovery run if done slow enough is great.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Watson - Nice sensible build up and good effort quality runs in those humid conditions!

Andres - Great tempo and LR and if you keep that sort of training up then 6:30 should be doable! (a mate of mine added an extra MP mile onto his LR every week when he ran a 2:49 on 60mpw 😀)

The RA log is no hassle once set up...every time you log in just click on the downward arrow icon above Community (which shows the number of workouts you’ve done since last log in) and click save all.

Finbad - 80 miles with speedwork and a fast LR is pretty good!

Swim -Very promising Sunday run and looking forward to the comeback! LOL at you not bothering to log at less than 70mpw!

Weatherboy - That’s a great 10k time and you’re definitely on a roll so make the most of it and go for the PR at Boston! No offence to your buddy, but if he’s capable of running a 1:21 half then he doesn’t need you to hold his hand. 😜

JT - Another great week and that was an excellent fast finish Sunday LR! With an extra 6 weeks of training I reckon you’ll be running a big PR....and I love that pancake flat Martian Marathon course profile!....legit and fast 👍

Paul - Congrats on the 50 miler race! I think my ankles would snap at 15% grade on the TM!

Lela - Very impressive Tue workout and 8 mile TT during the LR and looking forward to your 4 mile race at the weekend! Good luck!

Matt - Good week and mileage and congrats on the 10 miler race!

Kram - Yeah that Tue session was fantastic and great job on another high mileage week!

TN - Damn really sorry to hear about the setback and hope you had a better week.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My week...

Mon - 9.5 @ 8:51

Tue - Off

Wed - 10.5 @ 7:11 (7 mile progression then 5x0.5 at 6 pace w/90 sec rec) TM

Thur - 5 @ 8:48

Fri - 15 @ 8:08

Sat - Off

Sun - 16 progression from 8:02 to 6:26. TM

Total - 56

My cutback week was a bit more than expected as I’ve got a couple of niggles...sciatica symptoms (which I had this time last year as well) and Achilles which I’m a bit more concerned about as I’ve never had any issues there previously. I’m fine to run once stretched and warmed up but my body feels like 90 years old when I get out of bed and my legs are generally achy in the evening. I’ll just have to play it by ear day to day.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

watsonc123

Dopple - play it by ear with the ramp up.  You could easily injure yourself.

Mikkey - good idea dropping back to a moderate week.  Easier said than done, but avoid injuring your Achilles as they never seem to fully recover.

Kram,  Lela, Paul, Andre, Finbad, Matt, JT, Paul, Weather, Swim and anyone I forgot - nice weeks.

Matt - your 10 miler looked nicely paced. To me, that would be a 3:02-3:05 equivalent full.

JT - it sounds disconcerting having your head so close to the ceiling when running on the mill.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

DoppleBock

This week will be the biggest risk to get ramped up.

I will make adjustments as I go ... The six attributes of getting injured or not for me

* Mileage

* Speed

* Stretching

* Nutrition / hydration

* Alcohol

* Vertical Feet

I am committing to the next 12 days of stretching, nutrition / hydration and no alcohol = pretending to be an athlete until my fitness test 3/4 = Point Bock 5 miler.  After the race will be beer, pizza and downhill skiing.  I will post my race time and it will be really embarrassing ... but a starting point.

Dopple - play it by ear with the ramp up.  You could easily injure yourself.

Kram: Great week, and thanks for explaining the rationale for those ~90% MP runs. Canova has certainly trained some great ones so looking into his training philosophy can't hurt. Also thanks for the good pointers on Martian; I agree the weather (as for any marathon) is the big unknown but hopefully it will be good.

Mikkey: Good quality even in your cutback week. I hope the Achilles and other niggles disappear. You seemed to have no problems with a monster workout yesterday so that is a good sign!

2:52:16 (2018)

watsonc123

My week was good.  I got in my aimed volume (2.5 miles / 4km above the previous week).  Ex cyclone Gita came through on Tuesday so I ended up shuffling my week.  It was going to be Tuesday intervals, Wednesday off, Thursday tempo, Friday easy.  But it became Tuesday off, Wednesday tempo, Thursday easy, Friday intervals.

The storm has the really good effect on dropping humidity a lot.  So running from Wednesday has been so much more pleasant.  It also reflected in the intervals being much better, and the tempo a little quicker than the week before.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 5.6 8:58 Evening Run strava
                      Wed 7.5 7:19 Evening Run- tempo 4.0km-11.0km strava
                      Thu 6.4 7:56 Lunch Run strava
                      Fri 8.9 7:35 Morning Run - Incl. 11 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
                      Sat 6.1 8:54 Morning Run strava
                      Sun 11.2 8:44 Morning Run - MLR strava
                        45.7 8:12    

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Swim5599

Watson good looking week

kram canovas great I’m just not good enough at Math to figure it all out ha

61 total

mon 6 7:55

tue 8 with strides 7:45

wed 9 with 3x200, 3x400, 3x200 at R effort (37,36,36, 77,76,75,36,36,35) with equal distance recoveries.  Done on an indoor track.  Definitely was over reaching a bit

thurs 7 7:57

fri 8 with strides 7:37 broke my 25 month no treadmill streak

sat 8 7:59

sun 15 7:25

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Watson - Good week and glad that you got some better running weather!

Swim - Promising stuff... and that is fantastic news that you broke your no treadmill streak! 

My week...

Mon - 5@ 8:34

Tue - 15 w/2x4 miles @ 6:26 then 2@ 6:18 then 1@ 6:11 (2min walk rec) TM

Wed - Off

Thur - 12@ 7:06 (progression run from 8:02 to 6:13) TM.   8.5@ 8:11 PM

Fri - Off

Sat - 4.5@ 7:54

Sun - 16 w/13.2@ 6:48

Total - 61

My Tue workout was (optimistically meant to be 3x4) but was too tired by the end of the 2nd set so just did what I could rather than bail completely. Very pleased with the Thur progression and I had a great run this morning as 1:30 pacer at my local half marathon and the pace felt surprisingly comfortable even though it was windy conditions. Looking at my HR and effort, I’d say I’m in about 2:57/58 marathon shape right now....so lots of work to be done in the next 8 weeks if I have a chance of drinking beer out of the Moose Mug this summer.

I’ve decided to give the London Big Half a miss next Sunday. Why? Because what is normally a straightforward 1 hour train journey to London will end up being nearly 3 hours due to engineering works which means multiple changes/shuttle buses and the same crap going back....and at my age I just can’t be dealing with all that shit. I’ve seen it, done it and got too many race t-shirts so it’s no big deal.

The achilles/sciatica issues are better than last week and I think manageable on less mileage so I’ll be focusing more on quality on the treadmill as that gives me less aggro than road miles.

Watson: Solid week and good that you got some less humid weather.

Swim: Nice speed on the indoor track! That no-treadmill streak is impressive; it might be offensive to Kram though 

Mikkey: Great week with some nice quality workouts and I'm glad you're niggles are feeling better. Sounds like a good call to skip the half. I'm sure you'll get in a good long run/workout in its place and won;t have to deal with all the BS of 6 hours travelling to and from.

My week: I got the same lower back pain I had a few months ago on Monday afternoon, during my last set of squats in my strength routine, and it is still lingering. It hurts to straighten all the way up and lean back, whereas bending and stretching the hamstrings/back gives relief. I sleep on my stomach primarily so sleep has not been great this week. I am able to run with it but did not do much fast running so as not to make it worse. I went to a chiropractor Friday and that seemed to help; will go back again tomorrow.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Feb 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                            Tue 10.1 8:18 Morning Run in the fog 499 strava
                            Wed 10.0 7:22 Morning Run: nice and warm (55 deg) 327 strava
                            Thu 8.5 8:14 Morning Run on TM 0 strava
                            Thu 5.4 8:20 Evening Run on TM 0 strava
                            Fri 8.2 8:31 Morning Run 529 strava
                            Sat 12.1 8:12 Morning Run 653 strava
                            Sun 20.1 7:31 Long run on TM 0 strava
                              74.4 7:58   2008  

2:52:16 (2018)

kramrunner

Toledo Week 08/16
                              M       01 23 28       9.38       +aborted hills as very slippery
                              T        01 15 52      12           w/ 6x1@5:49 + 2x200@12.1mph, rec 3x60s, 3x90s static
                              W      01 23 05       10           tm easy
                              Th     01 20 32       11            tm w/ 2wu + 8@6:53 + 1cd, 0.5/1%
                                       00 37 15        4.14        recovery
                              F       01 25 37       10.41       easy
                              S      02 27 29         21          tm w/ 2wu + 18@6:53 + 1cd, 0.5/5%
                              S      00 46 43        5.91        easy
                                                            ====

Solid week for me. I was supposed to double up Tue and today but life/work intervened and my left quad is a little tight now, so I'm chilling the rest of this Sunday.

JT: Good week. I can't believe that you sleep on your stomach. I would be completely paralyzed if I tried that... humans!

Mikkey: Good to hear that you are feeling better. Great job pacing the 1/2 today, but I got to disagree with your outlook. If you're strolling through a 1:30, then you're in sub 1:25 shape and hence closer to 2:50 and that precious MM than you're letting on. Keep up the good work!

Swim: You are very close to being right back at it. It's very promising to see that you're able to get through a variety of different paces in the workouts with no adverse reactions. I'm tempted to try a full Canova style cycle but I'll have to have a serious sit down to translate one of his plans to my paces.

Watson: Nice week. I hope you enjoy the break in humidity because I fear it's coming back.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

finbad

Watson - solid looking stuff

Swim - nice R effort, even if it is slightly over-reached

Mikkey - hard to face a full day of inconvenience to run a half. 3 good sessions in a week and still >60 miles is good going with 2 off days

JT - that sucks about the back, very impressed you still got that mileage in

Kram - I shouldn't become blasé about it, that's another great looking week.

my week

total 69 miles

Tue - 12 with 1x mile, 2x 800 & 4x 400

Sat - National 10k cross country (round about 38 and a half minutes) good enough for 131st in the senior male race

Sun - 17M @ 6:53

Kept it all fairly easy leading up to the race on Saturday afternoon. Conditions were perfect for the race, last year was a mud bath so ended up about 3 minutes quicker this year. Cross country is all relative so I'm mostly pleased that I finished ahead of a couple of club mates who are usually stronger than me and I also beat my nemesis (a young guy from a local club who has no idea he is my nemesis). Felt good on Sunday so just went with it.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k