2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

weatherboy80

Fin: Nice week and a solid cross country race!  Nice big fast  LR on the Sunday afterwards as well.

Kram:  As usual some nice big workouts in there, especially those 6 X 1's.   Nice big week overall.

JT: Solid week again.  You've had some nice consistent mileage and LR's lately.  Hope the niggles resolve themselves though.

Watson: Nice week - glad you at least got some lower humidity to run in!

Swim: Promising news on those workouts.  Good work overall.

MIkkey  Big week.  Still plenty of time to gain some fitness in the next 8 or so weeks.  You'll get there!

Pretty pleased overall that I got the volume back up into the mid 80's.  Hoping to keep it somewhere in this range until my 11 day Italy vacation in late March which will require a pretty substantial drop (with a few days off for travel and tours) about 3-4 weeks out from Boston, but still thinking I'll be able to maintain some decent fitness in this period (hope to try for daily 6-8 mile efforts).  Plus there will be lots of walking (and eating) so all will not be lost Wink

Heat and humidity have been at early summer levels for just about the last 2-3 weeks which has been a downer, especially for some of the longer efforts in the morning.  Looks like my area will shatter the all-time warmest Feb on record which seems more than fitting.  Either way starting to think of a bit of a reset (several weeks of EZ mileage) after Boston especially if the heat continues.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Feb 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description Link
    Mon 10.2 7:51 Warm and breezy Wetlands strava
    Mon 4.3 7:36 A few more EZ miles strava
    Tue 10.0 7:42 Overnight low of 75 😳 strava
    Wed 2.1 8:14 76 at 5AM? strava
    Wed 11.1 6:34 Looks like summer started early strava
    Wed 2.1 8:26 Morning Run strava
    Thu 9.6 7:46 Afternoon Run strava
    Fri 10.1 7:14 Summertime climbing strava
    Sat 5.1 7:24 EZ + strides strava
    Sun 20.2 7:15 Longest run since Celebration strava
      84.8 7:25    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

tn_weather

Hey everyone - sorry I have fallen off the wagon. It is difficult to keep up when injured and motivation is in the toilet and a million other things are pulling on my time.  Went to the Dr. on 2/19. I have some insertional achilles tendinosis. Really no big surprise and I probably have been dealing with some form of it for a long time.  Good news is there is no evidence of calcification which is what I was scared of.

The Plan

week 1 (this ends today)  boot during the day, night splint, ice, mobic

week 2 (starts tomorrow) boot during the day, night splint, ice, mobic, mild stretching, eccentric heel drops on level floor, can bike if no pain

week 3 - boot during the day, night splint, ice, stretching, heel drops, bike, up to 2 hrs in shoes during the day

So that is the plan. The soreness really increased in the boot on day 1 and 2 but it has calmed down nicely since. It is a bummer to hit another road block after achieving some semblance of fitness. Not sure when I'll be running again but hopefully I'll start to ride on Wednesday.

Lots of good training going on in here. I'll pop in and catch up from time to time.  Best of luck to all those who are Boston bound.

kramrunner

TN: Sucks to hear mate. Heal up and hopefully we'll see you around these parts again.

Finbad: Another great LR. You're really in a groove now, nocking these out like clockwork every week. CC race sounds like fun.

Weather: Great job getting your mileage back up. You'll certainly be in great shape by the time you head to Italy, whatever about afterwards Wink Such a beautiful country.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

watsonc123

JT, Finbad, Kram, Weather - all great weeks.

Weather - the heat and humidity looks rough.  I have experienced similar, but I am at the end of an abnormally warm summer.  I don't know if I could handle that all year round.  Also your Wednesday morning run was really good.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Andres1045

Watson - I'm glad to see the consistency.  What's your mid/longer term racing looking like for when it starts to cool off there?

Swim - Impressive week! Your basically already up to where I am mileage and quality wise, and I'm in the heart of marathon training!  It's amazing how quickly you're able to get back at it once you get the green light. Takes a lot of mental toughness.

Mikkey - The mileage is good.  That you did it on all singles, only 5 days of running and with no real long run is impressive.  I agree that it doesn't seem worth it to go up for that half.

JTReeves - sucks that you have the lingering issues, but couldn't be all that bad if you managed to pull of that week!

Kram - getting 26 in at sub 3 pace for the week is awesome.  Add in the other workouts and you've put together a killer week.  Remind me again, why didn't you opt to join us in Boston this year?

Finbad - that Sunday run after a hard race is super impressive.  Also sounds like a great racing/training scene you have there.  That's got to keep things fun.

Weatherboy - I didn't realize you were planning to get 6-8 mile efforts in most days while traveling.  I can't imagine you'd lose much at all.  Seems like your sub3 pacing gig at Boston will be an easy jog for you.

tn - I'm impressed you're sticking to it.  You've had an incredible amount of dumb luck with all these stupid injuries.  Heal up.

Lela - No real set plans in Spain.  We'll likely repeat a lot of the sights that we did last year with the kids.  Not too many of them seemed to have stuck as their re-telling of the trip seems to always revolve around the daily breakfast donuts we gave them, and the play structure on the beach. We'll try again to cram some culture down their throats.

My week:

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Feb 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Mon 8.2 8:11 Morning Run 137 (70%) strava
            Tue 11.2 6:59 9@~GMP. Just get through these 162 (83%) strava
            Wed 6.0 8:17 Morning Run 135 (69%) strava
            Thu 8.9 8:46 Chapultepec with Andy 137 (70%) strava
            Fri 6.9 7:52 Chapultepec with Thierry 148 (76%) strava
            Sat 20.0 7:24 KW Long Run in more slop 154 (79%) strava
            Sun 4.0 9:03 Morning Run 127 (65%) strava
              65.2 7:50      

I was quite happy with how things turned out.  The Tuesday marathon pace was harder than I would have liked, but the weather sucked.  Weather sucked again for the long run, but managed to get in a good effort. If I can stay in one piece, and stay consistent (minus the week in Spain), I think I'll line up in good shape.  The big question will be whether we get decent conditions.

Upcoming races: Boston

Laura

A day late on my usual roundup, internet down at work yesterday was more paralyzing than I'd care to admit (our office cannot function without, besides the obvious email/web access, printers, copiers, client information servers, all down).... I missed my normal monday morning coffee break catching up on this thread!

Watson: Calm after the storm lack of humidity is always a plus, probably one of my favorite times to run in the summer (being in NY I typically don't worry about humidity this time of year)

Swim: You seriously went 25 months without running on a treadmill? I don't want to say I'm jealous because I'm one of those weird people who doesn't mind the mill and uses it as a training tool- but at the same time....damn 25 months?!

Mikkey: 2 x4 is a monster let alone 3x4, kudos getting what you did in and at a great clip. Glad the achilles and sciatica seem to be behaving but sounds smart to take to mill for less aggravating surface for a bit on quality stuff.

JTReeves: I'm a stomach sleeper as well, and get reminded every time I see my chiro that it is basically the worst thing for our backs. I have pretty bad lordosis (curve lower spine) because of it. I can definitely tell when I've been bad about it as my hamstrings, and low back get crazy sore and need to spend a solid week trying to get it back to normal. Still a solid week of miles and Egain though, I'm jealous of your ability to get more gain on regular basis. Where our house is I have to go out of my way to drive to run to get anything more than 0-170 on a one hour run.

Kram: I still don't know how you do 200's on the mill, I'd feel like I was gonna splat on the wall...or that pace is so skewed with speed up/slow down time of the mill. Sometimes life happens when we need it with regards to a little more downtime, I know that usually happens to me and missing a few extra miles is not a huge deal in grand scheme of things and typically works out in your favor in long run.

finbad: kudos beating unsuspecting nemesis!

weather: unseasonable weather for the time of year is always hard because you're mentally not prepared for it and the unpredictability. Makes it hard to shift gears.

Andres: Haha, that's probably true of most kids remembering more about the food etc. from vacations. But still good to try and cram the culture in, you never know what will stick and hey at least YOU will also remember what you did. Parents have to enjoy the trips too! I'm already crossing my fingers for Boston weather this year- would love to see a great day for all you runners...and also because I'll be toting my 1 year old around at that time cheering!

Week 3 for Buffalo down and pretty happy with it, a few miles shorter than planned but as mentioned above not a big deal and probably for the best. Tuesday's workout was nice to get that short speed and legs moving but was a mental adjustment...it was 65 and humid AF...in upstate NY on a Feburary evening. Our weather ranged from 20 degrees to 70 degrees this week, definitely takes adjusting for runs when you don't know what you'll get.

I FINALLY got in a race, first one since November and probably the first since I've been in more semblance of shape since having Hannah. Random 4.4 (more like 4.3) mile distance, averaged 6:10 (rolling hill course). All 4 miles were really consistent (6:13, 6:11, 6:13, 6:14, 5:40 for the last .3) but waited too long to kick in, I think I should/could have run closer to 6 for the last mile and still cranked down to 5:40 for the rest. Either way, finally got out and on the line and was happy with a W. Running a 5 mile race in a few weeks which should be a PR. I plugged it into a few running calcs, my fitness is right around 3:00 right now and still have about 13 weeks till Buffalo so feeling good about getting back under 3 postpartum.

Mon 3.6 Miles 8:35 avg Short recovery run, got bit by a dog in my thigh about 1/4 mile from home (luckily didn't break skin)
              Tues 9.5 Total   1 up, 2 T (6:40), 8 x 400 (86 avg), 4 x 200 (42 avg) 1.2 down
              Wed 5 Miles 8:19 Avg Treadmill recovery
              Thurs 7 Miles 8:25 Avg Treadmill Rolling hills 0-4%
              Fri 3.6 + Strides 7:49 Avg Short on time so quickie w/ strides after
              Sat 9.5ish total   2.5 up, 4.34 mile race (6:10 avg), 2.7 miles down
              Sun 14.6 Miles 7:47 Avg  
              Total 53 Miles    

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

watsonc123

Lela - nice week and race.

Andre - not sure long term.  I will have two or four halfs this year being 18 March, maybe 1 July, one in October, and maybe November.  Will probably race a few 5ks end of the year too.  Right now looking forward to a 10 day taper, volume has by no stretch of the imagination been large, but I have ran more quality then I have previously.  I really don't know what time I can/should run on 18 March.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

mattw4jc

Funny that 25 months is a long time for not using a treadmill. Unless I just forgot about a usage, I'm pretty sure I haven't been on one for more than 5 years..

Hmm, out of curiosity I just did a Garmin Connect activity search on "Treadmill" and found a January 17, 2013 entry titled "Treadmill at YMCA" for 3 miles. Prior to that I have about a dozen entries during the 2010-2011 winter with the longest distance being 6.2 miles.

weatherboy80

Andres:  As for running while on vacation I can tell you that is the plan, but don't tell my wife that!  I'll try to sneak in the treadmill miles while I can, but not worry too much if I miss a day or two.  Been going pretty hard for a while now so a week or two of reduced volume shouldn't hurt me too much!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - Good week and I hope your back is feeling better.

Kram - Great quality and mileage and 12.1mph on a TM sounds scary!  Do you start the 200s once you reach that speed? 1k are the shortest intervals I’ve done on the TM.

Finbad - I’ve never done cross country but you obviously had a great race. Another fast LR and decent mileage....I hope you don’t mind waiting for me at London. 

Weatherboy - Another big week and the drop in mileage might be beneficial in Italy. Enjoy your trip and don’t stress about getting runs in...and the walking will definitely help maintain fitness!

TN - Best of luck with The Plan and please keep us posted on the progress!

Andres - Good looking week and impressive paces in not ideal weather conditions. It’s a shame you aren’t running Barcelona again!

Lela - Big congrats on your race and to be in 3 hour marathon shape 13 weeks out is a great position to be in....you seem to be smart at racing and training! I hope you’re ok after the dog bite.

Matt - I feel sorry for the folk who hate treadmills but have no choice because of the weather. It must be awful!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DoppleBock

In York, PA for work this week ... trying to still hit most my goals for this week

Last week highlights - I decided that I would stop doing treadmill vertical until my knee felt better.

This was week #2 / 13 for couch potato to 50 miler race.

*  Miles = 59.7

*  Days running = 5 (I worked until 9pm Wednesday and Sunday was a 7am to 7pm working and watching a volleyball tournament.

Workouts

*  20 minutes @T

* 10 x 1 minute faster (Strider) with a 2 minute jogging recovery

*  Mid-week long run 16

*  Weekend long run 20

The week  = Week # 3 / 13  goals

*  Miles 50+

*  10 x 1 minute faster

*  5 mile race

*  Long run > 12+ miles

The 5 mile race will be a tester to set my current fitness level

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Well I went away on my vacation, 3 nights Florida (Orlando, Cocoa Beach) 7 nights on cruise, 1 more night in Orlando. I ran ~7 miles (3 in Orlando, 2 in Cocoa Beach directly on the beach, and 2 on the cruise ship (Oasis of the Seas, 5 laps, one lap it about 670m). I also did two hot, sweaty (and difficult) 45-minute spin classes.

Leaving weight: 163.2

End weight: 169.2 (this past Tuesday).

However, I had a full slate of work meetings and lunches and dinners Tuesday, Wednesday, so...

Wed 2/28 weight: 172.6

Thu 3/1 weight: 174.4

Nothing really yesterday:

Fri 3/2 weight: 168.8 (yes I lost 5.6 lbs in one day Clowning around

So, I kind of started Pfitz's 12/up to 55 mile program. Did 8 on Tuesday, 9.5 Thursday. Both faster than I probably should have run (and faster than I would think I run). Doing the 25k part of the USATF 50k road champs this Sunday. Not really going to race, but will try to pick it up the last 10-15k (like MP). I'll be Zwifting (and maybe even biking outside) on the Pfitz off days. I'd really like to get exercise time == 12/85+ plan based on 8 min miles, but only run the up to 55 plan (starting next week).

My goal race might be the Run for the Red in the Poconos on 5/20. We'll see what that brings.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DCV - Wow you must really enjoy your food! I weighed 145 this morning and if I ever hit 150 I’d be mortified. 

I registered for another marathon today http://www.eastbournemarathon.co.uk

It’s 3 weeks after London on the 13th May and on a running track. I figured that if I never get bored on a treadmill then I wouldn’t get bored running 105.5 laps! There were 64 runners in the inaugural race last year and the winning time was 2:58. Being a rhythm runner I think I’ll dig it. I guess I’ll probably end up running a lot of it in lane 2 which would be 43k total and about the same distance as a road marathon.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

watsonc123

DCV - Wow you must really enjoy your food! I weighed 145 this morning and if I ever hit 150 I’d be mortified. 

I registered for another marathon today http://www.eastbournemarathon.co.uk

It’s 3 weeks after London on the 13th May and on a running track. I figured that if I never get bored on a treadmill then I wouldn’t get bored running 105.5 laps! There were 64 runners in the inaugural race last year and the winning time was 2:58. Being a rhythm runner I think I’ll dig it. I guess I’ll probably end up running a lot of it in lane 2 which would be 43k total and about the same distance as a road marathon.

Yeah god, 105.5 laps!  I hope they have a timing mat!  On RWOL, there was a guy Sam, who ran a marathon which was about 25-30 laps, and they had had a manual tag systems for counting laps!

watsonc123

My week was good, and continued my safe ramp up, it was 4km / 2.5 miles more than the previous week.  My knee was pretty good.  Monday was relatively cool (11 Celcisus / 52 Farenheit) which felt quite cool.  Tuesday intervals were ok, had a very slight throat infection which slightly affected it, also the first six intervals were too slow as I just didn't push the pace enough.  It was also my first intervals in the dark for a long time, which probably affected it too.

Thursday's tempo was pretty good, considering it was lunch time, and it was warm again.  Today's 20km was pretty good, and quite warm.  Two weeks to my half now.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 5.6 7:48 Evening Run strava
                                Tue 8.7 7:29 Evening Run - Incl. 12 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
                                Thu 7.6 7:20 Lunch Run - tempo 4.0km-12.0km strava
                                Fri 6.1 8:55 Morning Run strava
                                Sat 7.5 8:02 Afternoon Run strava
                                Sun 12.4 8:05 Warm Sunday Afternoon Run - MLR strava
                                  47.9 7:55