2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Swim5599

DKG lovely to see you back.

Mikkey ughh dude I’m sorry to hear it.  I had bursitis in my shoulder when I swam and that was annoying enough.  The hip

has to just be brutal.  I’ve had good luck with chiropractors and bursitis.  And not much lower when we get into

the marathon cycle.  We are working on some other things now that were neglected previously.  I basically with very few exceptions neglected anything quicker then the threshold gear for well over a year.  Interestingly enough he said whatever weekly mileage you run is more like 10-12 percent more due to the increased recovery time it takes up here.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Off and on for the last couple of years.  More off than on.  I ran two marathons if you want to call it that, and any other races I did was not very fast.  Every time I would get motivated ago something else would come up and got injured this time last year trying to extremely ramp the mileage.  Sometimes we never learn.

I am running the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati on May 6 and only shooting for a sub 3 and will go from there.  I had a lot of weight to lose and still have a bit more to lose but should be at close to fighting weight for the marathon.  In the fall I would like to give a sub 2:50 another crack.  We shall see as I turn 55 in September.  I am currently up to 73 mpw now and will probably cap at 80 this cycle and not go much over that this year.  I sure do notice that the intervals are a lot slower now but should get quite a bit quicker over the next 6 weeks.

I messengered Calbears a couple of days ago.  That is how I found out that everyone is here.  He is running but only 20 to 30 mpw.  Not sure if he will come back but you never now.  The racing bug is hard to get rid of.

Good work on the comeback and a Sub 2:50 at 55 would be an impressive achievement and might inspire Rovatti to come down from the peanut gallery and start some proper training again!  And tell Calbears to get over here even if he’s not running!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Weatherboy: Great 90+ mile week. That 10 @ 6:15 pace in your LR is quite impressive! Enjoy the time in Italy.

Dopple: Solid week and I'm impressed with your weight loss plan!

Marky: Congrats again on the smoking half. I've got to think you'll cut even more off your time if the upcoming course is flat!

Swim: Nice week; I like the gradual build approach you and your coach are taking. Should make for a great marathon at the end of the year and some great shorter distance race times along the way.

Lela: Great job on the 5 mile PR! That is an impressive time and shows you are in a good place for Buffalo. Also kudos for the hilly LR the day after the race. Long runs the day after a 5k-10k race can be tough.

Dkg: Welcome!

Piwi: Welcome back!

Mikkey: Sorry to hear about the bursitis. I hope it clears up soon. You've already gotten in many weeks of great training so cutting back these last few weeks should not be a problem.

I have a Garmin question. I recently got a Garmin 235 and I love it, but the wrist HR monitor seems to be off most of the time. Any tricks to getting more consistent and accurate data from it, or is the wrist-based HR monitor just inherently not that accurate?

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT, I have the 235 (and also the 230 with a HRM) and it’s accurate for me. All I can suggest is tightening the strap slightly.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Good work on the comeback and a Sub 2:50 at 55 would be an impressive achievement and might inspire Rovatti to come down from the peanut gallery and start some proper training again!  And tell Calbears to get over here even if he’s not running!

We can always resort to shaming Rovatti into submission.

I will let Calbears know that he is being summoned to participate in the discussions at least.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Andres1045

JT - I also have the 235.  I've used it near daily for about 2 years.  Prior to this, I had two other wrist/optical HR monitors: the mio link (6 months) and the scosche (1 year).  The mio just didn't work for me.  I'd estimate that about 40% of the time it gave me crap readings (so mainly it would be ok for some miles and crap for others).  The scosche worked extremely well, and I don't remember having any bad readings.

The 235 has worked almost as well as the scosche did for me--I've only had a handful of times in the past 2 years where it gave me a reading that I knew was off.  From what I can tell, this seems to be somewhat unique to each person, so it may be something that just doesn't work well for you.  So these three things I do might have no impact on your experience.  First, I always have it tight when I'm on a run.  I usually start with it kind of tight, and then even tighten it a bit more after this first mile.  When I'm done with the run and loosen it, there's always an imprint.  The second thing I do is I always wait for the heartbeat icon to stop flashing.  I take it that this means that the watch has got a "lock" on my HR.  But who knows, maybe this does nothing.  This usually takes a little longer than it takes to get a clear lock on the GPS signals so it's not really a big deal.  The final thing is that I make sure it's not touching my wrist bone during my run (but again, since it's so tight, it never drifts down there).

Hopefully those tips work for you, but unfortunately it seems like wrist based HRM are things that work for some people, and not for others.

Upcoming races: Boston

Laura

I have the FR 225, and occasionally have issues with the wrist HRM. It's really strange because I can't always pinpoint why it's off, and it will change mid run. I'll get back and look at HR graph and it will have me over 200 for the first 25 minutes or something and then finally adjust and say 140's for the rest. Like Andres said, I think keeping it tight is really helpful and I usually have less issues that way.

I also think the more you wear it, the more accurate it tends to be. Mid-run, I usually use HR for my easy and recovery stuff but take it with a grain of salt. If I'm running easy and it's telling me I'm 170+ I know it's being funky. Sometimes I'll also get the opposite where it'll tell me it's like 110. Basically, if it's way off I just say F it and go by easy effort. If it's seems slightly reasonable I'll obey and back off if it's only a little high because odds are I probably need to chill a bit.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Thanks a lot Mikkey, Andres, and Lela for sharing your thoughts/experiences with the wrist HRMs. It seems like the common theme from all of you is to make sure it is tight on the wrist. I wore it much tighter for my run today and it responded well; it gave readings I would expect for easy running, then rising when running uphill, dropping when running downhill, etc. I have to admit I am loving having this metric to look at while running!  In general this is a WAY better watch than my old FR 25. Glad that I made the upgrade.

Marky_Mark_17

JTReeves - hope the watch goes well for you. Wrist based HRs have sometimes gotten a bad rep and sometimes that has been deserved but I have nothing but positives for the FR235.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

finbad

Big week for me this time

Tuesday: happy with the effort level on this run

Thu: dropped back and did the group tempo segment at a steady effort

Fri PM: 3k PB - 09:47. This event is really low key and runs every month, going to try to do it more regularly

Sunday: Half Marathon PB - 1:15:29 for 8th overall

Obviously delighted with how the week went, I'll give brief race recap in the next post.

Time to take another look at the race predictors and pick a London goal. I'm open to ideas as I currently have a range of 2:43:20 (fetch everyone) to 2:37:23 (Daniels). I also have a 10 Mile race next weekend but am now thinking /I don't need it and may just go long and easy, any ideas?

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 9.5 7:44 Morning Run strava
                      Tue 19.0 6:59 Lunch runners 10x2 mins then 3,2,1 at marathon pace strava
                      Wed 5.9 8:28 Misty glasses strava
                      Wed 5.0 8:34 Stopped by the roz strava
                      Thu 7.3 7:10 Twenty minutes plus strides strava
                      Fri 5.7 7:47 Jury's breakfast strava
                      Fri 3.0 7:56 Warm up strava
                      Fri 1.8 5:18 3k on the green strava
                      Fri 2.9 8:08 Cool down strava
                      Sat 4.3 7:43 Squidgy track straights strava
                      Sun 2.0 7:41 Warm up strava
                      Sun 13.1 5:44 Balloch to Clydebank half strava
                      Sun 1.0 9:47 Cool down strava
                        80.5 7:18    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Balloch to Clydebank Half Marathon report

I'd raced 3k almost full effort on Friday then taken it easy in the lead in to this and the conditions were perfect (about 7-8°C and little wind).

Pretty small race with 4-500 people and it is quite local for me so really convenient.

From the gun the pace was madness with a short road segment at basically 5k pace to sort out the bunch before turning onto a river pathway. Was aiming for 5:50 miles and then reassess on the go, saw 5:34 for the first mile and managed to recalibrate from there. Worked with one guy taking turns up to 6 miles then kicked off on my own because I felt good, 6-9 basically on my own, took a gel for marathon practice and didn't spill it all over myself, 9-11 moved through from about 13th to 8th picking people of feeling great, realised that sub 1:15 was an outside possibility so emptied the tank in the final 5k and charged the finish. Bloody delighted.

only downside is that I now have a hefty blister on my right foot.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Swim5599

Fin that was absolutely crushed.  You have to be stoked.  With that half I would take a rip at 2:39 but keep it as even as you can.

72 this week with 3 Q sessions which was brand new for me.  Thrilled with the progresss this week.

Mon 10 7:45

Tue 8 with strides 7:45

Wed 13.1 with 10x2:00 at 5:35

Thurs 8 easy 7:51

Fri 10 with 15x200 s in 35 ish

sat 8 with strides 7:38

sun 15 with 8 at M effort 6:15 closed it down with 5:45

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Finbad - Wow, try to remember that week in your old age as that was amazing! The fact that you didn’t taper I’d say Sub 2:40 or better for London and would aim for between 1:19/1:20 first half and take it from there.  10 mile race or easy long run?  Maybe both and do an easy LR on the Tuesday?  Another option would be 3 w/u, race MP 1:19, 3 c/d and see how comfortable that feels.  Blisters? buy some Compeed plasters at Boots and you’ll be fine.

Swim - Huge progress and great speed!

Marky_Mark_17

Finbad -  saw your race on Strava and just dropped in to congratulate you.  Looks like you absolutely crushed it, super fast time and a quick finish in there as well.  Great stuff.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Finbad: Congrats on the half PR; that was an incredible performance. I agree totally with Mikkey; you should be targeting sub 2:40 at London for sure; go out at 79 or 80 min for the half and then bring it home strong. Awesome 3k race as well. Even more impressive you dropped those two races at the end of a big week of mileage!

Marky: I think you can put up a similar time in your upcoming half!

Swim: Great looking week with lots of Q. I hope you'll get to do some sea level short races this summer; you could put down a sick time in the 5k or 10k.

After these guys weeks I am embarrassed to post mine. Energy was not quite there for Wednesday's planned 5 x 1 mile so I bagged it after 3 reps. Looking forward to dropping the mileage a bit this week and then starting tapering more heavily for the final 2 weeks. Then the main challenge will be holding the line against weight gain; all this Easter candy is too much temptation. Damn those mini-eggs!

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                                Tue 10.1 8:12 Morning Run 508 strava
                                Wed 12.4 8:03 Afternoon Run w/ 3 x 1 mi (~6:03 avg) 633 strava
                                Thu 8.2 8:17 Afternoon Run 458 strava
                                Fri 13.2 8:13 MLR with hills 1431 strava
                                Sat 7.3 8:57 Trails in Sega Park 531 strava
                                Sun 20.0 8:13 Long run 1049 strava
                                  71.2 8:16   4610