2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Andres: Good luck tomorrow!  Just keep Guye Adola in your sights and you should get a PR!

2:52:16 (2018)

Andres1045

Thanks, everyone! I'm getting quite excited. Weather is perfect. Should find out here soon exactly where my fitness level is at. I wouldn't be surprised with anything within a rather large spectrum ranging from good to bad. I'm just hoping to execute as best I can to take advantage of the conditions.

Upcoming races: Boston

Ran a 1:08:51 10 mile race today. Garmin has 10.11 6:48 pace. Boo. Think it was a better race than 2 years ago when I did 1:07:52 on same course but that was 10.06 and 2bpm higher. That year I ran a 38:39 10k before it being to hot in Boston.

Right hamstring tightened up at end so couldn’t pick it up at end which was frustrating as I had a little gas left. My mileage last 6 weeks? 21,29,19,12,14,10 + race. So more Zwift and will decide if I want to do a May marathon.

Marky_Mark_17

Good luck Andres!! Hope it goes well, you've been nailing some good workouts on Strava lately.

Question for everyone - I'm going to Canada (Big White) on a snowboarding trip for a couple weeks. There is no TM in the place we're staying, so I'll be outdoors.  I've never run outdoors in those sorts of conditions, there will be snow on the ground although I'll run on the road where possible.  Looks like daytime temps generally around -5C / 23F.  I won't be running a heap of miles but keen to get a few runs in to maintain the fitness and enjoy running in different conditions.

The coldest temps I run in here are generally 35-40F / 2-5C.  I'm fine with a t-shirt, gloves and leggings in those conditions as I generally don't feel the cold much.  I suspect I'll probably be fine with a long-sleeve thermal, leggings, a beanie and gloves but keen to get the perspective of those who deal with that sort of weather a lot more than I do!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky: A lot depends on how windy it is. If it's -5 C with little to no wind, you are probably ok dressing as you wrote, but if its windy, you will probably need more. This morning the temp here was about 23 F, but it was very windy, and I wore sweatpants with short-length tights underneath, long sleeve T-shirt with a sweatshirt over it, gloves with mittens over them, hat and a scarf. I tend to dress warmer than others in cold weather but you may be similar coming from a more mild climate.

DCV: Nice job on the 10 mile, especially off that little mileage.

2:52:16 (2018)

watsonc123

I was not planning on participating in the 2018 sub 3 marathon thread, as I'm not running a marathon in 2018!  But a few from the 2017 thread suggest I participate, so here I am.

Quick intro

- 40 years old male.  Just turned 40, so old man PRs here we come!

- married, two girls aged 6 and 10

- I live in greater Wellington, New Zealand

- First name is Chris

Been running since 2011.  Been reasonably consistent apart from a few injuries, plus a few periods where life got in the way.

2015 and 2016 were very good training years.  Lots of 60-60 mile weeks, with a few 70-79 mile weeks.

I've ran around a dozen halfs.  My best time was 1:26:16, coming in September 2016.  In June 2015, I went sub 1:30 for the first time after several 1:31 races.

Have ran two marathons, the first in June 2015.  Paced poorly and ran 3:09, with a 1:30/1:39 split,  Could have managed 3:06 that day with better pacing.

Last October I ran my second marathon.  I'd had an moderately good 3 months training up to then, but had a left hip and left knee injury.  I was originally aiming for sub 3, but I ditched that aim due to the injury (and not quite enough volume) and ran 3:16.

2017 was a very disrupted training year.  Early in the year I spent a lot of time studying for a professional exam.  And since my marathon I've been super busy selling a house, settling a section to buy, sorting out a rental whilst we build.  The section we've bought settles 16 January, due to it being a large development, the timelines have been up in the air for a long time.  So planning has been a little difficult with regards to a hobby (running).  This 2018 year should be much easier as late January we sell our house and move into a rental, and then November/December (fingers crossed) we move into our house.  So it means I can get a September/October races as my 'A'  half marathon race for the year.

I only raced one half in 2017, being a 1:30:06 time, which I was pretty happy with, it would have been sub 1:30 but the pacer was off.  I ditched him with 4km to go, but couldn't quite catch-up 40 seconds.

The good news about my minimal training over the last 2 months is that my left knee is so much better.

My first race of the year will be a half maraton 18 March, Round The Vines in Wairarapa, New Zealand.  I don't know my aim right now, but I'm hoping to sneak sub 1:30.  And then later in the year, go for 1:25.

My week was pretty good.  Managed to do 4km (2.5 miles) more than the week before.  Tuesday intervals (just 5 * 400m) were pretty good, started a little slow but sped up.  Thursday's tempo (just 3km) were pretty comfortable.  Did the longest run since October today.  Both intervals, tempo, long run and total volume are just going to be slightly increased slowly over time (although Tuesday and Thursday were a repeat of the previous week).  Last year I just increased too quickly, so I won't repeat that.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 5.0 8:36 Evening Run strava
              Tue 4.9 7:45 Evening Run - Incl. 5 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
              Thu 5.0 7:51 Morning Run - tempo 4.0km-7.0km strava
              Fri 5.0 8:03 Morning Run strava
              Sat 5.0 7:46 Afternoon Run strava
              Sun 8.7 7:57 Evening Run strava
                33.6 8:00  

Cinnamon - thanks for starting the thread.

Mark - have a good holiday,

Andres - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

weatherboy80

Looks like Andres just crossed the line in 1:19:47!!  Congrats!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

Thanks for starting the new thread Cinnamon.

I'm Finlay, 38, from Glasgow in Scotland. One child (6)

I ran my first marathon about 10 years ago using the basic Runners World plan and got 3:13 with the obligatory 6 miles of suck at the end. I kept running off and on but didn't do another marathon until New York 2015 since it coincided with a visit to see a new niece in Manhattan. Trained hard, joined the Runners World forums where I met many of the names on here and should really have gone sub 3 but only got a slight PR after blowing up. Got back on my grind in 2017 and ran 2:54 then 2:48 5 weeks later. 2017 got me a PR at all distances then a couple of months of injury at the end. Aim for 2018 is London (goal TBD) and then Berlin. I'm basically happy with where my marathon time is so I'm going to be a bit of a hippy and just train by feel, try not to wear out and see how it goes.

Nice result today Andres.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Also, Mark running on a snowboarding holiday sounds like mentalism. Just make sure you're up for the first lift, stay out all day, don't get a concussion and chalk it up to great cross training.

my week

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Mon 4.7 8:10 Nuts strava
                    Tue 14.8 7:09 Club 5x 1200's strava
                    Wed 5.5 8:20 Lumber strava
                    Thu 3.5 8:27 Foggy head strava
                    Thu 5.7 7:40 Two bearded ladies strava
                    Fri 9.6 7:21 Cop shop trot strava
                    Sat 2.9 8:30 Pushing forward strava
                    Sun 20.0 6:40 Molotov of reckoning strava
                      66.7 7:23    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

First congrats to Andres for going for it in the HM this morning.  Still a great result!

Watson: Welcome back.  Nice week.

Mark: Enjoy your vacation!

Finbad: Nice to hear from you on here as well.  That was quite the LR this morning!!

So two weeks from today will be my race.  Fairly encouraged to get in my last fairly substantial LR/workout combo as I was able to hold onto sub 5:50 pace on my 2 mile repeats this morning, which is about the last time for a workout to be able to impact my fitness.  Also still got in close to 79 miles this week so kept the volume fairly decent all week, although its still a cut back from the 100 mile week 3 weeks ago.  Thinking about low to mid 60's for this week and cutting at least one double out.  Certainly no more runs over 13 miles though.  Have a mini workout planned mid week just for maintenance, but it is quite a bit reduced from what I've done recently.  The following week will be cut even more with a day off planned 2 days before the race.  Long range weather pattern already looks quite warm (which is typical for me) as a ridge looks to build over the SE US.  The entire east coast looks primed for a substantial warmup, but there is lots of time for the pattern to evolve. But oh what I would give to be able to race in conditions like I had this morning (mid 40's and dry)!

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Mon 6.2 7:51 Rainy AM Recovery strava
                      Mon 4.2 7:27 PM EZ strava
                      Tue 11.2 7:57 EZ + strides strava
                      Wed 3.0 8:20 Warm up strava
                      Wed 8.8 6:16 4 X 2 mi w/ Jon (@ ~GMP-15s) strava
                      Wed 2.2 8:12 Cool down strava
                      Thu 4.1 7:32 Foggy AM EZ strava
                      Thu 8.2 7:31 A reminder to not eat Mexican before a run strava
                      Fri 9.3 8:14 EZ, but humid bridge repeats strava
                      Sat 4.5 7:31 EZ + strides strava
                      Sun 17.1 7:11 3E + 3 X 2T (@5:48) + 6.5E + ~0.5T + c/d strava
                        78.8 7:32    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

iamdisappoint

cinnamon: Thanks for stepping up to do the thing. 

andres: Congrats on today! Very well-executed. We'll be seeing you in Boston, right?

joe: Keeping a Boston streak alive seems like the worst kind of plan, given the weather. .. and as I type that, I realize that I have a 4 year streak of that kind, with #5 coming up. Crap. 

NACN!!!: I will keep using your RWOL name, of course. I still get a smile every time I'm reminded of that sub3 on the 34th attempt. Still happy for you!

paul: Count me as an interested observer of your 2018. Your trail runs are very impressive to this roadie. Is Sean O'Brien affected by all of the mudslides? 

lela: Profile-wise we seem pretty similar - I don't think I got under 19 in the 5k until I had run 2:54 in the full. You must be pretty endurance-tilted as well. Cool to see moms coming back and running strong.

lagwagon: Re: opening up logs, is there a way to sync from garmin or strava? I'm in that here-because-RWOL-is-gone kind of way, so I don't know anything beyond the forums.

mikkey: I think if you told me that it'd be 68f for Boston this year, I'd take it. BTW, I just found out that I have to be in London for work the week after Boston, so I might try to stick around to watch.

weatherboy: "assuming good conditions" next to Boston, lol.

dcv: Why is 10.11 a "boo"? GPS error is ~2%, so it seems like your watch was very accurate. Comparing 10.11 to 10.06 seems like arguing with the error bars. Anyways, nice race! Seems like you're able to maintain decent running fitness with all of that cycling. 

marky: The bigger problem you might have is that the mountain roads tend to be skinny and people aren't expecting runners. Make sure your defenses are up. As for the cold, extremities are usually the hardest thing to get right. You might be able to get away with using your ski gloves.

finbad: Banger of a LR today. Nice to see you on the mend!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

iamdisappoint

40yr old Male, married, 2 daughters, living in MA (with regrets).

PRs: 17:12, 36:12, 1:18:51, 2:41:08

I had been chasing sub3 for my first couple of serious running years, got that in 2014, fought injuries for a couple of years, then have been doing well since early 2016. Finally ran a good Boston in 2016 (2:49, hot year #1), then another good one in 2017 (2:47 high). 

I started training by power (with a Stryd) after 2017 Boston, and ran 2:41 at Richmond this year. I'd like to get under 2:40 at Boston this year (if we get good weather, which we won't) or finish top 500 (which I've done the last two years in crap weather). I'm getting a bit tired of grinding to get 2-3 minute gains on the marathon, so I'm going to try to do more ultras going forward. I'm pretty slow but seem to be able to keep my shit together, so in theory longer races will play to my strengths.

I ran a "50" yesterday that ended up being shortened to 46.5 due to a part of the course being closed. I'll write that up separately. 

Otherwise, my 2018 looks like this:

Off the Beaten Track 50k (Feb), goal is to win (won last year, it's not competitive)
                          NYC HM (March), goal is to beat Strugglr, and go sub-1:17
                          Boston (April): 2:39 if the weather is good (tears), top 500 otherwise
                          Angeles Crest 100 (August): survive, be an official finisher (< 30 hours)

Cheers!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Cyberic

Hi, I'm Eric, from Montreal. I'm a French Canadian, so that explains the occasional weird English. Started running at 42 yo (summer 2012) to pass time during my son's soccer practices. Self coached, do not belong to a club. I ran 3 marathons in 12 months in September 2015 (Montreal), April 2016 (Boston) and September 2016 (Montreal again). Did 3:14, 3:18 and 3:13. Did not run a marathon in 2017, and am going to run one in October 2018.

I will most probably not go under 3 this year, so why am I writing this? Because I'll be lurking, I might ask a question here and there, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I do not handle speed work so well, but volume is ok, so I want to see how everybody is training to go sub 3, as I think I can do it maybe next year or the next. Ran about 2750 miles in 2015 and in 2016. In 2017 I ran 3100 (5000+ km). As of now, I ran 90 miles first week of January, and 68 miles this week.

Question for everyone - I'm going to Canada (Big White) on a snowboarding trip for a couple weeks. There is no TM in the place we're staying, so I'll be outdoors.  I've never run outdoors in those sorts of conditions, there will be snow on the ground although I'll run on the road where possible.  Looks like daytime temps generally around -5C / 23F.  I won't be running a heap of miles but keen to get a few runs in to maintain the fitness and enjoy running in different conditions.

The coldest temps I run in here are generally 35-40F / 2-5C.  I'm fine with a t-shirt, gloves and leggings in those conditions as I generally don't feel the cold much.  I suspect I'll probably be fine with a long-sleeve thermal, leggings, a beanie and gloves but keen to get the perspective of those who deal with that sort of weather a lot more than I do!

I might not be a very fast runner, but running in the cold I know very well. Since you handle the cold well, what I would recommand is keep your extremities warm: gloves and beenie hat. Your feet won't get cold unless it goes down to like 0*F and it is windy. Then you *might* feel the cold and the wind, but while running, I almost never have cold feet.

For the torso, my opinion is that you want to keep sweat at bay as much as possible. I avoid winter "jackets". I'd rather multi-layer with clothes that let sweat get out. If I get sweaty in the cold, then I will be very uncomfortable (read cold). And when it's really windy and I need a jacket, I wear a soft shell with some wind braking on top and in front, but mesh in the arm pits, and spandex under the arms and in the back. Gotta let the moisture get out.

Bottom line: most of the time I like that the wind actually goes through all my layers, but very slightly. That way I stay dry, and don't go cold after a few miles.

MTA: My RA log is public.

Marky_Mark_17

JTReeves, IAM, Cyberic - thanks for the tips everyone.  I do some running on semi-rural / rural roads with no footpaths so am used to keeping my wits about me on that front.  Definitely have the gloves and beanie covered and it sounds like the breathable Icebreaker thermals I wear snowboarding might do the trick, maybe with a softshell jacket on colder/windy days.

Finbad - we're travelling with our 10 month old daughter so I'll be up for the first lift whether I like it or not!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kramrunner

Bio

I'm a 36yr old Irish expat living in Michigan (aka Mark). I got into running around my 30th as a bucket list item and after a few years screwing around got serious about it in 2014, where I've been progressing from there. I was able to hit my main goal last year of running sub 2:50 at Illinois, but the rest of the year was a bit of a wash with a consistent set of annoying naggly injuries. I still managed to keep some consistent mileage going and got over 3k for the year again.

I've signed up for the Toledo marathon (04/22), with a half 4 weeks before and my goal there is uncertain. I'm building back-up right now, but I'm going to try and be careful re-introducing quality. I hope to be able to put in the work to go sub 2:45 with a longer term target of getting under 2:40. If I can stay healthy over the spring, then I'm going to push hard this autumn. Of course, I may hit my physical limit before that, but what the hell.

Goals for 2018: (A) Stay injury free, (B) Assault on 2:3x at...

2015    3:06:47   Twin Cities   2340 miles
                                2016    3:01:38   Bayshore     3260 miles
                                2017    2:49:26    Illinois         3052 miles

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)