2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all - just wanted to drop in to wish all the best to those running Boston next weekend.  Hope the weather comes through for all of you!

Thanks also to everyone for the Strava feedback on my result at Waterfront Half Marathon yesterday... crazy to think I wiped 1:36 off a PB I only set 3 weeks ago but it was a fast course and a near-perfect day.  Feeling lucky to have had a couple races where everything fell into place, because as we all know, sometimes it doesn't!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky Mark, congrats on the huge pr’s.  This is why we fo this stuff.  When things work out, there is no better feeling.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

finbad

Swim, solid racing

Marky, great racing.

my week

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Apr 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 3.0 7:22 Screwfix strava
        Tue 7.1 7:04 Lunch Runners 8, 4x2, 8 strava
        Tue 4.7 7:52 Chilly rain again strava
        Wed 5.0 8:05 Morning Run strava
        Wed 4.3 8:16 Afternoon Run strava
        Thu 14.2 6:39 Garscube session strava
        Fri 3.3 8:25 Morning Run strava
        Fri 5.2 8:05 Lunch Run strava
        Fri 1.8 8:09 Afternoon Run strava
        Sun 18.2 6:55 Last long, with Ian strava
          66.8 7:20    

winding back the miles a bit this week. Tested out the zoom fly shoes on Monday (feel quick but I'm not certain they'll be my marathon shoe). Tuesday lunch did 8 mins, 4x 2 min and 8 mins tempo which felt more controlled than any I've every done before, good signs. Thursday was my last midweek with a 5k section at 10k+10s, also good. Sunday long and steady, also good. Happy week. Just collecting little aches and pains and trying to stay sane now.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Quickly dropping in as well to wish all the Boston runners good luck next week. Luckily you are not running on Saturday with that forecast, otherwise I may actually think the race is cursed with warm weather. Otherwise, you guys have been putting in some seriously impressive training. I'll definitely be following Boston in this thread in one week!

I'll be popping back in here soon for good in a couple of months once I'm getting closer to training for NYC. For now, just continuing to do some building back from injury and running 5k/10ks while I'm at. I have a long road back and I'm in some serious mileage deficit for the year because of the injury (only at 296 YTD), but I'll keep at it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Happy Monday everyone!  Congrats to Mark and Swim for well executed races.  And good luck to all of us running 1 week from right now!  JT - also good luck to you first of all

Smile

Right now the Boston forecast could be anything from windy, cool, and rain to muggy, windy, and rain so luckily we are still 7 days out and things will continue to change.  Still leaning towards taking it a bit easier (especially with the swings in weather) than my Orlando race to enjoy the experience a bit more this time around.

Here is my latest week.  Encouraging to be able to hit my 3 X 2 workout on Saturday in pretty warm conditions, but thinking I ran them a bit too hard since I was pretty wiped from this one.  They were likely closer 10K race effort than a true tempo effort if I was being honest with myself.  This week will be a nice down week to get ready for the 26.2 on Monday so looking forward to the reduced volume a bit.  Plus I've got a few minor sore spots that need a bit of attention ...

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Apr 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Mon 12.1 7:39 A few more hills strava
            Mon 4.2 7:30 PM miles strava
            Tue 8.2 7:22 EZ + strides strava
            Wed 4.1 8:02 Warm up strava
            Wed 6.2 6:17 Running Jon's last Daniels mixed M/T workout strava
            Wed 2.0 7:43 Cool down strava
            Thu 8.0 7:43 Afternoon Run strava
            Fri 7.2 7:18 EZ + strides strava
            Sat 3.1 7:29 Warm up strava
            Sat 6.5 5:49 3 X 2 T (5:36,43,33,41,38,43) strava
            Sat 2.6 7:29 Cool down strava
            Sun 7.1 7:22 EZ sunrise miles strava
              71.3 7:18    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

jkim579

JT - you are correct, great memory!  It was hard to keep up with weekly posting so I switched to lurking mode, and then when RWOL shut down the forums that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  I've been peeking in here from time to help get ready for my own sub-3 attempt.

Great point jkim579. If I'm connecting the dots correctly, I remember you from the 3:10 group on the now extinct RWOL forums; it was great to have your knowledge and perspective as a doctor there and is here as well; please stick around!

I'm in the thick of taper-time fretting about the weather forecast. Temps look ok but it is predicted to be very windy in MI on the 14th; 20 mph with gusts up to >40 mph. I hope that settles down in the next week. Boston forecast is looking a bit windy as well, though not too bad. On the positive side the temps for Boston look good, though a sudden, 1-day (or even 4 hour) spike in temps on Patriot's Day can't be counted out yet...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Lela - Yes I’m just playing it by ear for now and think I’m on the mend after a short run today with no discomfort!

Swim - Great to see you racing again and an overall excellent week.

DKG - Looking at your Strava feed that was a good 1:30 half race the day after a 20 miler!

Marky - Very impressive racing!  But will you ever run another marathon again? 🙂

Weatherboy - Your training has been fantastic (even during your trip to Italy)...so it would be ridiculous if you decide to “take it a bit easier”. Go for it.

Finbad - Another great week and you’ve got nothing to worry about so enjoy your taper. Let me know if you want any tips regarding London. 🙂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey - funny, JMac was just asking me the same question over on another thread.  I will likely do another marathon but not in the foreseeable future.  I know that I've got improvement there, more so than over any other distance, but in hindsight I'd actually built up a lot of training fatigue and I'm still slightly scarred by the consequent ITB issues I had after my FM last year.  I'm still comparatively new to running (only 2.5 years) and at this stage I think I'll just focus on getting a few more miles in the legs consistently.

Hope that injury of yours is coming right!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky: Great half race and congrats on the new PR!  According to Uncle Jack that translates to a 2:39 marathon; I hope you'll give it another go at some point!

Finbad: Nice week and stay safe and sane in the taper. Really looking forward to seeing what you put down in London.

Weatherboy: Nice week and I agree with Mikkey; the way your training has been going, you should go for it at Boston!

Mikkey: Great to hear you had a pain free run; I hope you're out of the woods now.

Good luck to all the Boston runners.

The weather forecast for MI on Saturday morning is fluctuating so much it's driving me nuts. Looks like it will be warmer and windier than I would like, with a good chance of rain, as of right now. At least I won't have any hills to deal with!

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Thanks JT - good luck to you as well Smile

Current forecast for Boston looks rather interesting as well.  Looking pretty wet and breezy so just a matter of wind direction and timing of the heaviest rain right now.  Quite a big storm system in the area come Sunday/Monday.  So certainly glad I got in my sub 2:50 earlier this year Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Marky_Mark_17

JT - cheers and good luck for your marathon - will keep an eye out on Strava!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Laura

Checking in to say hi and seems like everyone is doing well and kicking ass per usual!

Thinking of everyone running Boston- try not to let the weather report get in your head too much, even if it doesn't feel like it there is still plenty of time...and either way sometimes the crappiest weather makes for the most epic of races. I will be out cheering at mile 25.5ish....if anyone is willing to share (could DM if you wanted), let me know bib # and then I can track you and have better chance of catching you when you run by!

For anyone who will be in Boston but not running the race and you wanna jump in some miles with me let me know. Our hotel is in Boston/Chelsea and I'm working on mapping out an 18 for Sunday morning...company welcome for even part of it!

Training last week for me was good, life just a bit busy right now so constantly in 'get shit done' mode going 100MPH. Had a solid 11 mile wave tempo last Tuesday, some steady state miles last Friday and then a crappy feeling(cold and windy) 20ish miler on Sunday (better now than on race day). This week will be big week (probably 65ish- highest in 2 years), but then racing a half next weekend so will drop a little bit next week for that.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - funny, JMac was just asking me the same question over on another thread.  I will likely do another marathon but not in the foreseeable future.  I know that I've got improvement there, more so than over any other distance, but in hindsight I'd actually built up a lot of training fatigue and I'm still slightly scarred by the consequent ITB issues I had after my FM last year.  I'm still comparatively new to running (only 2.5 years) and at this stage I think I'll just focus on getting a few more miles in the legs consistently.

Hope that injury of yours is coming right!

I forgot that you’d only been running for that amount of time, so the good news is that you’ll probably still see improvements for the rest of the year without making much changes in training! If you stay consistent and build then you’ll hopefully be PRing for the next 4/5 years and Sub 2:40 is definitely achievable in the future. I think your weight training background has been great for you in mostly avoiding injury and nailing those hilly races!

JT - Good luck and hope you have a great race on Saturday!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

tn_weather

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to all the Boston runners!  Go get em dissapoint, strugglr, weatherboy and everyone else!

Marky - Nice half!

dkgg - Good to see you in here.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to all the Boston runners!  Go get em dissapoint, strugglr, weatherboy and everyone else!

Umm, JTReeves is next up on Saturday. Try to keep up.