2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Laura

Kick ass tomorrow JT!

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Andres1045

Yes, good luck tomorrow JT!

Lela - I'm bib 3413.  Most likely will be in a white singlet, with black shorts.  I might go buy myself a hat today.  I've never run in one, but might be nice if it's raining?  I guess if I don't like it, I can ditch it.

Good luck to everyone racing!  Sorry I've been missing.  I'll probably take some time off after Boston, but it looks like I'll be doing NYC.  So I should be back soon.

Upcoming races: Boston

flyrunnr

Kick ass JT!

Hey all!

I'm bib 3932, and in 1/4 for Boston.

Apologies for my departure from here as well...  work, kids, and increased mileage takes too much time, the usual suspects. Just a brief catch up, I've increased from 75 mpw to 100 mpw this cycle and survived, mostly because slow easy runs and huge amount of treadmill runs.  I had a groin/hip flexor strain injury a few weeks ago after stretching. Don't ever do it. But a huge drop in mileage and icing has me back running again.

I think the training increase was mentally and physically tough and I've been in zombie mode for weeks, but finally starting to feel fresh and excited about running in the rain/wind/cold. It's Boston! Curious to see what kind of shape I am in. I promise not to screw up and get hypothermia like I did in similar weather in 2015.

Andre - I'll consider running with ya. I'm going for a conservative first half and negative split.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes!  It looks like the weather tomorrow will be a mixed bag, but not as bad as it looked a week ago. The temperature will be about ideal (in my opinion) at 41 F (5 C) at the start and holding around there through the morning. On the windy side and likely to rain, but hopefully not too heavy. I'm happy I won't have to deal with heat. It looks like this weather will make its way to the Boston area by Monday.

I'm not seeing anything on the race website about runner tracking, and I don't yet have my bib since I will pick it up in the morning right before the race. But I will try to post something here after I'm done (or you can look at Strava).

2:52:16 (2018)

finbad

Good running JT.

I can't quite work out if the Boston forecast is good or bad, indifferent I guess. Good luck to all you lot on Monday too. Hopefully the rain holds, the tailwinds blow and temperature doesn't creep.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

mattw4jc

Yes, good luck tomorrow JT!

Lela - I'm bib 3413.  Most likely will be in a white singlet, with black shorts.  I might go buy myself a hat today.  I've never run in one, but might be nice if it's raining?  I guess if I don't like it, I can ditch it.

Good luck to everyone racing!  Sorry I've been missing.  I'll probably take some time off after Boston, but it looks like I'll be doing NYC.  So I should be back soon.

Yes, I have found a hat very helpful on rainy runs to keep drops out of my eyes. Lightweight and breathable is my preference.

weatherboy80

First of all - good luck JT!

Well folks the temps have trended downward and the winds and rain upwards come Monday 😟 Doesn't look like we get into the warm sector until most of us should be done.  Trick will be staying dry and warm pre-race and then running with a pack for position.  Looking at some pretty cold headwinds now!  Picked up a cap and arm sleeves for Monday as this Florida runner will be a bit chilly!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Hey all, just checking in here about my race. 3:02:14.  Not the time I was hoping for, but the conditions were pretty bad, with rain and strong winds the whole race. I was in good shape through about 16 but then we turned into the wind from 16-24 or so, and the wheels fell off. On the plus side, 7th overall and 1st old person (40+)   A character-building experience I guess...

Very excited to see how the Boston crew does and then the London crew. Good luck everyone!

Elite women's race at Boston should be great, and elite men's race at London should be epic. Think this will be the one where Kipchoge finally gets the WR, which he deserves.

2:52:16 (2018)

Swim5599

JT great effort.  Not much you can do about those nasty head winds except tuck in and hope.

For everyone Racing tomorrow, The race is phenomenal no matter the conditions.  Remember to keep your shoes dry at the AV and buy a poncho.  Helped me out greatly in 2015.

Really good week for me 75 total

mon 10 8:00

tue 10 7:41

wed 11.65 with 10x 2 on at 5:45 1 off.

thurs 8 with 10x60 sec hill reps mile effort.  Brutal

was absolutely gassed after these

fri 10 7:53

sat 8.35 7:56

sun 17 as 3E, 3M (6:20), 1E, 2T (5:58), 1E, 1 faster 5:44, 1E, 1 faster 5:29, 4E.  5:29 is squeezing it down pretty good up here

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

weatherboy80

JT: again a huge congrats for a stellar effort in bismal conditions!  Enjoy the recovery 😀

Swim: stellar week!

So who is already revising their goal pace for tomorrow?  I'd suggest racing for position especially early on.  Certainly glad I got my quicker marathon already out of the way this spring!

So I've got the the throw away clothes down (plus will wrap legs with a garbage bag, change shoes, and wear a poncho), but still wondering about the race especially with driving rain.  Current thinking is a set of tights with my short shorts over top to carry my gels then on top I've got a pair of arm sleeves, but was wondering about the layers from there?  I've got a dry fit running t-shirt and then was thinking another dry fit long shirt for a 2nd layer.  I wore that this morning a felt pretty good after about 5 min of being cold, but there was only some light snow falling so no rain.  Plus I've got the gloves and on top I've got a water resistant skull cap so should be good there.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

weatherboy80

finbad

Boston folk, cant wait to see how you go. All this talk of base layers etc doesn't sound like a fast day but hopefully you can stay warm and dry for as long as possible, find a pack and get moving. I'll be watching at work today.

With one week to go London is looking a bit warm and sunny, still, at least there has never been an instance of a Scottish marathoner going out too hard in hot conditions and paying for it later on....

Swim that week is seriously great

my week

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Apr 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 4.4 7:45 Afternoon Run strava
                          Tue 1.8 4:37 Morning Ride strava
                          Tue 12.9 7:06 Garscube- 4x 2k strava
                          Wed 8.9 7:27 Perturbator's theme strava
                          Thu 8.7 6:45 Lunch Runners, 30 minutes strava
                          Fri 3.4 8:48 Morning Run strava
                          Fri 3.8 8:14 Lunch Run strava
                          Fri 1.7 8:54 Afternoon Run strava
                          Sat 4.5 7:23 Nards strava
                          Sun 11.2 7:15 Guy incognito strava
                          Sun 4.4 8:04 New kit strava
                            65.7 7:23    

nothing special, tried to cut everything a wee bit short and not push the pace anywhere. Will do 3x6min efforts tomorrow the just short easy runs and lounging about in the sauna.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JT - Great results in those conditions and hope you have another marathon shot soon as you’re in great shape!

Swim - Another impressive week, keep up the good work!

Finbad - Pack your sun cream /visor and shades as it’s going to be hot in London this week! Luckily there’ll be 250ml bottles of water every mile from 3 onwards so enough to pour on the body as well. Really gutted for Callum Hawkins collapsing at the Commonwealth games yesterday and the spectators just stand gawping at him with one even taking a photo. Some people are unbelievable.

Good luck to the Boston runners today!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

tn_weather

JT - Sounds like some really tough conditions. Way to gut it out!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - Not much you can do about the weather, I'm sure you'll have more sympathy for the Boston guys than most.

Boston Runners - Best of luck! I ran in somewhat similar conditions yesterday and it's going to be tough out there. I was frozen after just 15 minutes of the rain. I'm worried about hypothermia for a lot of people out there. I think a lot of folks think a) 40s isn't that cold and b) we've all run in the rain before. While I think both of those are true, adding A and B together with 20+ mph headwinds makes things very difficult. Be smart out there guys!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)