2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

finbad

Yuki Kawauchi is a legend, gone off like a total mentalist

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Jeez, this is brutal. You guys are hardcore.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Halfway...

IAM - 1:20:38

Strugglr - 1:22:53

Weatherboy - 1:28

Flyrunnr - 1:28:54

Andres - 1:30:47

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Great job guys!

Hang on Desi...

2:52:16 (2018)

finbad

Is Kirui going to get caught?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ugh looks like the wind is finally starting to get to some of these guys, IAM just put up a 23:39 5K. I feel so bad for everyone out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Way to go Desi! So glad she finally got a major victory.

And what a race by kawauchi!

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Another great Boston performance by IAM - 2:50:51 and Strugglr 2:57:07.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

finbad

Yeah, I took it away because I thought I'd jinxed things but that was a hell of a strong performance from IAM

Marky_Mark_17

Well done to all the Boston runners. Conditions looked pretty dire and it was crazy how many of the pros just flagged it altogether.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

And the final scoreboard...

Weatherboy - 2:57:27

Flyrunnr - 3:04:01

Andres - 3:22:01

So a non elite office worker won the race? That is brilliant and hilarious!

weatherboy80

Thanks guys for tracking. I’ll try and post more, but yesterday was certainly a memorable one and anyone who finished in that stuff gets a huge kudos in my book. Don’t think I have ever been so cold afterwards.  The headwinds with the gusts were the biggest killers though.  I did end up pacing my friend to his first ever sub3 but believe he was in shape to run around 2:50.  As for me I perhaps had a few more minutes in me especially in the last 3-4 miles when he began to struggle and I stayed along for a bit, but if I went out at anywhere near my Orlando Jan pace I would have been in trouble for sure!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

Weatherboy - you ran a great race for sure, your pacing was tight.

Really looking forward to hearing everyone's report. I didn't really get the measure of the weather report until I tuned in and saw it for real. Don't know if this will make any of you feel any better but it was a fantastic watch. I bet the two clowns that were commentating will be hating that Kawauchi won it since it took them til about 5k to get his name right and work out that he wasn't just some idiot running off the front.

On the flipside there is lots of talk here about potential for hottest London ever. Anyone got good sunny race advice (particularly for a milk-white cold weather dweller)?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

On the flipside there is lots of talk here about potential for hottest London ever. Anyone got good sunny race advice (particularly for a milk-white cold weather dweller)?

Wear a cap, grab a water bottle at every mile and adjust goal time. Luckily the second half will be more shaded. It was similar temps in 2011 and I was a good 5min off my goal time.

Andres1045

Thanks for tracking guys.

Weatherboy - incredible result there for both of you all.  I'm amazed.

Finbad - I agree with Mikkey.  In addition to drinking more, I'd pour water on your head each chance you get.  Also, in some races spectators give out cups of ice.  If you see that, grab it and stick some under your hat. 

Not really sure what happened out there yesterday.  I started out at around sub 3 pace.  I still think I'm in about 2:50-2:52 shape.  Running 6:40 or slower on the downhills felt super easy and controlled, yet I just had very little desire to be out there in those conditions from the beginning.  At around mile 5 or 6 I decided just pull it back.  I decided to dial things back to around the pace I do on most of my long runs - so a little faster than the upper end of easy.  I really didn't want to have to slog it in at the end (which, somehow I did anyway).  Again, things were super controlled and I felt fine.  The wind was bothersome, with most miles having some pockets of strong pushes against you.  The rain seemed to always be there.  I kept telling myself to just relax, and get through to mile 21.  Just take things easy until then.  I did, and got up the hills with really no problems.  I remember last year thinking they were mountains at that point (and the year before thinking they really weren't that bad).  This year I again didn't think they were much at all.  But then on the way back down to Boston, I just had nothing left.  I was on track to get a 3:05-3:10 finish, which I would have been more than happy with.  But my legs just totally gave up. I started shuffling at some point (maybe 3 miles to go?).  And then walk/running with 2 to go.  At the bar, after, we were talking about how many elites had quit.  I commented that had somebody told me while crossing mile marker 25 that they could put me in a car and have me in a hot shower in 10 minutes, I would have jumped all over it.  Sure, it's illogical now after you're done, but that's absolutely how I felt at the time.  The only thing that kept me going at all was knowing that was the quickest way to get off that f---ng course and to my bag.

I thought I held back early enough and by enough.  I obviously didn't.  Either I wasn't anywhere close to the shape that I thought I was in, or the cold was doing something else to me.  Maybe my muscles were working harder than I could realize trying to stay warm?  I dunno.  Either way, the finish will cause me to take a year off from Boston.  And that's fine.  I still love the experience, and I hope to be back. But this is the first marathon that sometime in the next 24 hours following the finish I haven't started to get a little excited about the next one, hoping to do better.  My wife, somewhat out of character, said that I could run another to re-qualify before the sign up in September.  I immediately said no.  I have zero desire to do that, and am truly fine taking a year off.  I guess I have NYC in November, but having to put in another training cycle (which will include August in Houston), to run another marathon sounds dreadful at the moment.

Upcoming races: Boston