2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Is it a go for Sunday?  That 5k you had recently shows you have good fitness!

I picked up my bib yesterday, but dropped my motorbike on the way home and banged my knee and shoulder which is a bit sore! I’ll do a short run tomorrow and see how I feel.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flyrunnr

I picked up my bib yesterday, but dropped my motorbike on the way home and banged my knee and shoulder which is a bit sore! I’ll do a short run tomorrow and see how I feel.

Your marathon taper needs to include keeping the motorbike in the garage until after the marathon. Seriously, I hope you're okay. That sucks.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Your marathon taper needs to include keeping the motorbike in the garage until after the marathon. Seriously, I hope you're okay. That sucks.

You're supposed to get phantom injuries during tapers, not real ones!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Fingers crossed Mikkey, been cool to see you out there.

Lela - pretty good week for a bad week I'd say. Smart to know when to stick to the plan and when to bail.

Fin- How you feeling for London (aside from the forecast)?

Pretty good, I've bought a hat and sunsceen and am feeling fit. My initial plan had been 6:05 pace then see if I could turn it down a bit in the final 5k, revised that to 6:15 and will drop it again if I start getting to hot. Bit frustrating but at least it'll be nice weather for my FIRST BEER OF THE YEAR after the race.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

JT: Hope the calve comes back around,  Not a terrible time to shut down and recover anyways!

Mikkey: Hope you are good to go this weekend.  Sometimes a scare like that can help take the pressure off anyways Wink

Fin:  Good luck - you're in great shape no matter the conditions.  Still take the heat over what we faced on Monday, but I'm accustomed to lots of warm weather running.

Lela: solid looking week even with the slight setback.  Thanks for coming out to Boston last week!

Joe/Iam/Struggler: Congrats on some great times on Monday!

Andres: Perhaps the effort was too easy in that you didn't produce enough heat and therefore some of the muscles locked up in the cold?  I think that was starting to happen to me when I slowed my pace about mile 22-23 to stay with and encourage my buddy.  Noticed I was getting cold and tight so had to quicken the pace just a bit to ensure I finished myself.  Could be similar to what happened to so many elites?  Either way, in no way was Monday an assesment of current fitness!

BTW, here was my week pre-Boston.  HIghlight was certainly the BAA 5K which I would say was just a fun run, where I easily progressed into the upper 5's even with all the zig zagging I did around all the folks that didn't seed themselves correctly.  Weather was ideal (although a slight headwind at times) and it would have been a day to potentially run a PR 5K if I would have known just how bad the weather was going to be on Monday.  In retrospect, don't think it would have hurt me all that much anyways.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Apr 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Mon 12.0 7:35 Swampy 90E strava
            Tue 8.1 7:04 EZ last workout (w/ 3 X 1 T’ish) strava
            Wed 8.1 7:58 Morning Run strava
            Thu 7.2 7:07 Beautiful out: EZ + strides strava
            Fri 4.1 7:44 About 30 deg warmer than Monday! strava
            Sat 3.1 6:13 BAA 5K fun run strava
            Sat 1.1 7:16 Morning Run strava
            Sun 2.7 7:39 EZ shakeout with some frozen precipitation 😳 strava
              46.4 7:24    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey: I hope your knee/shoulder are ok after the motorbike incident! I guess you embody a rare combination of marathon runner and biker dude!  Good luck Sunday if you do go for it.

Fin: That sounds like a good plan for the race. I see that London has the same kind of late start (10AM for the masses) as Boston. Not a problem for cool weather conditions but certainly annoying when it is going to be hot. I remember at last year's Boston wishing they could move the start to 6AM to avoid the heat. Good luck, you are in great shape and even with the warm conditions I think you will get a big PR.

Weatherboy: You probably could have gone for it in the 5k but it was hard to know the magnitude of what Monday would end up being at that point. You'll be able to go after that 5k PR this summer and I certainly think you will be able to get sub 17.

I was reading an article on the elite women's race for London and sounds like Keitany and Dibaba may go for the WR. Not sure if the weather will allow that but it should be a great race to watch. And on the men's side Kenny B. is indicating he is in good form and will go for it. He is unpredictable but if he is on, it could be an epic race between him and Kipchoge, who does not seem to have off days.

2:52:16 (2018)

flyrunnr

Mikkey/Fin - Good luck on Sunday! I feel for you guys, it will be a scorcher, reminds me of Boston last year.  I'm glad you are talking about adjusting your goals... Iwill share that my buddy that was in sub-2:35 shape relaxed his goal 5+ minutes last year in Boston to sub-2:40 and he finished in 2:39:54 with a smile and and said he felt pretty good. I think a 5 minute adjustment will save you 10 minutes in the end if you don't adjust. It's a hard lesson to learn, but just look back at the results from all the sub-3 attempts last year.

Good luck to anyone else running London!!

JTR - It's so hard to bet against Kipchoge. He has won almost every marathon that he has started and looked comfortable doing it. I've been a Bekele fan, but his second half fades and DNFs are numerous lately.

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Andres1045

Looks like Fin and Mikkey are out on the course battling some extreme conditions. I show 86F and sunny. Fin crossed the half in 1:22:26.  Mikkey in 1:38.

Get it done, guys!

Upcoming races: Boston

Andres1045

Finbad in at 2:47:00. Amazing considering the heat.

flyrunnr

I watched the race online. Kipchoge is with the GOAT!

Great job Fin! Amazing time, especially with the heat!

It looked like Mikkey didn't start, so not sure where you got the half split Andres. Maybe a Mikkey imposter?

finbad

Jeez, that was tough today. I thought I had held enough back to finish strong but actually it was damage limitation for the last 10. Very pleased not to have blown up but was too scared to go hard first the final 5 as the calfs started twinging and threatening to cramp. Thanks for monitoring.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If I had run the first half in 1:38 I’d have jumped into the Thames and drowned myself!

DNS for me, but I went up to spectate and it was a great experience.

Finbad - Big congrats and great time in that heat!  Did you have a white vest and back to front white cap?

JT - We need more marathon biker dudes/dudettes on this thread Smile

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

Finbad, that's an incredible result in 86 degrees. I'm amazed .

No clue who I was tracking then. I already deleted the app. Sorry for the confusion. Mikkey, get better. I may need to come run London with you next year since I'm taking a year off from Boston.

Mikkey bummer but good to save yourself for when you are 100 %. I notice Mo wore arm warmers ? Dont they heat you up ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey bummer but good to save yourself for when you are 100 %. I notice Mo wore arm warmers ? Dont they heat you up ?

Thanks, but it was no big disappointment as I hadn’t been able to train properly for the last 6+ weeks and running today would have set me back further.

Mo running in arm warmers? I have no idea!

Andres - Yep that would be cool if you do London next year as I think the course would suit you!