2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Swim5599

Fin stellar result.

Mikkey wish you could have toed the line out there buddy.

Kipchoge is such an animal.  That guys on a whole other level.

81 this week

mon 10 7:45

tue 10 7:45

wed 11 with 3x600 (1:45,1:48,1:49) 3x400 (73,72,72) 3x200 (32,32,31)

thurs 10 7:51

fri 10 7:43

sat 10 7:30

sun 20 hilly as hell 7:30

pretty good week.  Wed was pretty damn good.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

finbad

Yeah, white vest and backwards cap for me today.

I was really impressed by Mo today.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Fin: Great race and congrats on the PR!

Mikkey: Smart decision to DNS; it looked like perfect weather for spectating and you'll be ready to fight another day.

Swim: You're quietly ramping up to some very impressive training.  That 600/400/200 workout is smoking.

I watched the race (recorded) this morning. Incredible how fast both the women and the men went out!  4:22 first mile for the men!  A bit more even pacing of that first half for the men might have brought Kipchoge closer to the WR, though it probably was still too hot for that. Kipchoge is so smooth, so confident. Watching Keitany in the last 400 m reminded me of Kirui in the last part of Boston; they were both reduced to a jog (though still probably running faster than my MP). I give Keitany credit for going for it though.

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Fin: Still amazed at your race and your time in conditions like that especially since you didn't have all that long to acclimate to the heat.  Congrats and enjoy the R&R for a bit!

Mikkey:  Sounds like a smart choice.  Plenty of races to look forward towards.  I'm sure you can pick it back up quickly!

Swim: Huge week!  Speedy workout as well.  Looks like things are coming around nicely.

Watched a bit of the London highlights late yesterday.  Kipchoge is a beast.  Might very well be one of the best marathoners ever.  Surprised how fast some of the times were in the heat.  Funny to see that the women's (deeper field I guess) times were nearly 20 minutes faster than Des at Boston!!

One week removed now from Boston for me.  Recovery is going fairly well all things considered, but certainly feel a bit beat up.  Left hamstring is quite tight and wonder if I changed up my gait running into the wind and rain a bit.  Certainly nothing major though.  Although, probably not recommended to try a go at 2 marathons like I did in just under 3 months at that kind of effort though Wink  Going to include some x-training for the next week mixed in with mostly reduced easy mileage before trying to run two 5K's in 2-3 weeks.  Want to try to at least go hard at one of them depending on how quickly the legs come around.  Also will depend of course on the heat here as well.  Really hoping to squeeze in some lower humidity days before summer arrives.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Apr 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 26.4 6:43 2018 Boston Marathon: Pacing Jon to a sub 3, course PB, and fairly close to hypothermia afterwards! strava
          Tue 2.2 8:13 EZ shakeout with a 20 mph tailwind 🤔 strava
          Wed 4.1 7:58 In the defrost cycle strava
          Thu 5.2 7:56 Still soaking up the warmth 😎 strava
          Fri 4.1 7:49 Morning Run strava
          Sat 20.1 3:16 Cycling in a hot & humid gym 😰 strava
          Sun 6.1 7:23 Ez + gentle strides strava

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Laura

Kudos Fin- stellar time alone regardless of conditions!

Mikkey- Sorry about the DNS, but sounds like right call. At least you got to spectate a helluva race?

Swim:Nice speed sesh and hilly long. 80 mile week like it's nothin!

JT: Agree I was watching the race while I was getting ready in the AM and was amazed at how fast they went out. Like you said though, give em credit for going for it!

Weather: Part of the difference (in my opinion) between the womens times in Boston/London is that heat is a condition more runners will gut it out in then the crap you guys had in Boston. The Africans don't even go out and run if it's sprinkling for an easy run from what I have heard. I'd say more pro's are better prepared for heat/humidity than they are wind/rain, especially those who live or regularly train in Africa. Had it been the London conditions in Boston- Des probably wouldn't have won (she is my idol so I say that with all the love). Glad recovery seems to be going well, hammy's take a beating on that course- I'm sure things will shake out soon for you with the easy mileage and cross training!

My Week was low key but good- slight mileage cut again (50) to give myself some room to breathe for the race. I did a workout wednesday night (15 minutes MP, 4 x 5 minutes HMP, 4 x 1 min 5k) which went really well and the confidence flowed into the weekend. Ran a 1:25 with pretty big negative split and took 3rd. SO CLOSE to a PR, but I'm happy with where I am at a little under 12 months PP. I feel more comfortable about Sub-3 at Buffalo, but have 5 weeks till the race and the next 3 to really grind out the miles!

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Weatherboy: Nice recovery week; hope the hamstring gets back to 100% soon. I had a similar phenomenon with my calf; the one I strained is now feeling pretty good but the last few days my other one is sore, probably from putting more burden on it while the other one was healing up. Good job with the cross training too; I sometimes try to do some stationary biking but after 10 minutes my arse is already sore and I give up on it!

Lela: Congrats on the half! Your races are on a good trajectory for a sub 3 and PR at Buffalo. Just keep doing what you're doing, it's working!

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Lela - Congrats on a very impressive 1:25 time and agree with JT, what you’re doing is obviously working so hopefully you’ll PR at Buffalo! I also liked the Wed workout which wasn’t too hardcore before a half.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Reglor

Hey guys, I think this is my first post in the RA forum, I was around some of the time back on RWOL forums (as Reglor, and 'Herbert Sitz' on Strava).  I've checked in every so often on RA, though, (and on Strava) and it's good to see so many familiar guys still going strong.  Not to mention many of you have improved a lot.

I haven't improved as much as some, but a little.  Still don't have my sub-3.  Last couple months I've started training using some of the ideas from Hadd, mostly just the 10 miler at constant heart rates.  This seems to be working really well for me.  I seem to remember hearing Hadd's name being thrown around a lot on RWOL Sub-3 forum a few years, and  I've been meaning to check in with you guys to see if anyone actually had success with it.  Or had any thoughts about it.  The way I'm doing it, it turns out to be quite similar to the rbbmoose plan that was also discussed long ago, but I'm not sure anyone actually did that either.

Anyway, sadly, the thing that finally prompted me to post here is an injury.  It's developed slowly with me barely even noticing, but I have some Achilles tendon pain that's become a problem in last week or so.  It's in both legs, most sore in the morning when I get out of a bed, a popping sound or two then.  It gets much better as I walk around.  I probably shouldn't have done my Hadd "workout" yesterday, but I did it anyway, deciding that I would cut it from 10 miles to "just" 6 miles.  Achilles pain/soreness subsided during warmup and I barely notice it at all during the workout.  Thought about extending it to 10, but wisely avoided that.  The pain seems to come back when I rest, especially if foot is extended, loosening calf muscles.  Pain goes away when I walk around or run.

This scares me a little bit; I had similar Achilles issue long ago and I remember it can be really hard to get rid of.  I'm wondering whether anyone has had similar experience and/or any thoughts/recommendations about what to do now.  I have marathon coming up in sex weeks, June 10.  My own thought is to take some time off, ice, roll, stretch, and see what happens.  I still have some night boots I used back 5-6 years ago when I had similar issues, not sure whether that's even advised, but it seems like it would keep it from getting worse overnight.

The injury comes after I've been doing a bit more mileage than usual, averaging maybe 65mpw for 2018.

One difference is I switched to often using lower drop shoes more last September, after having used mostly Hokas (~5mm drop) for many years.  Main shoe this year has been Topo Magnifly 2, a zero drop shoe.  I do put a little extra piece of insole into back part of the Magniflys, so actual drop is probably 2mm or so.

Hey guys, I think this is my first post in the RA forum, I was around some of the time back on RWOL forums (as Reglor, and 'Herbert Sitz' on Strava).  I've checked in every so often on RA, though, (and on Strava) and it's good to see so many familiar guys still going strong.  Not to mention many of you have improved a lot.

I haven't improved as much as some, but a little.  Still don't have my sub-3.  Last couple months I've started training using some of the ideas from Hadd, mostly just the 10 miler at constant heart rates.  This seems to be working really well for me.  I seem to remember hearing Hadd's name being thrown around a lot on RWOL Sub-3 forum a few years, and  I've been meaning to check in with you guys to see if anyone actually had success with it.  Or had any thoughts about it.  The way I'm doing it, it turns out to be quite similar to the rbbmoose plan that was also discussed long ago, but I'm not sure anyone actually did that either.

Anyway, sadly, the thing that finally prompted me to post here is an injury.  It's developed slowly with me barely even noticing, but I have some Achilles tendon pain that's become a problem in last week or so.  It's in both legs, most sore in the morning when I get out of a bed, a popping sound or two then.  It gets much better as I walk around.  I probably shouldn't have done my Hadd "workout" yesterday, but I did it anyway, deciding that I would cut it from 10 miles to "just" 6 miles.  Achilles pain/soreness subsided during warmup and I barely notice it at all during the workout.  Thought about extending it to 10, but wisely avoided that.  The pain seems to come back when I rest, especially if foot is extended, loosening calf muscles.  Pain goes away when I walk around or run.

This scares me a little bit; I had similar Achilles issue long ago and I remember it can be really hard to get rid of.  I'm wondering whether anyone has had similar experience and/or any thoughts/recommendations about what to do now.  I have marathon coming up in sex weeks, June 10.  My own thought is to take some time off, ice, roll, stretch, and see what happens.  I still have some night boots I used back 5-6 years ago when I had similar issues, not sure whether that's even advised, but it seems like it would keep it from getting worse overnight.

The injury comes after I've been doing a bit more mileage than usual, averaging maybe 65mpw for 2018.

One difference is I switched to often using lower drop shoes more last September, after having used mostly Hokas (~5mm drop) for many years.  Main shoe this year has been Topo Magnifly 2, a zero drop shoe.  I do put a little extra piece of insole into back part of the Magniflys, so actual drop is probably 2mm or so.

Reglor, Great to see you back.  I have not done Hadd but have thought about trying it in the past.  If you respond well to MP based miles then I believe it will be a good fit for you as he recommends a couple days a week of an hour at around this pace.  If MP based miles beat you up and/or wear you out, then I don't feel that it would be a good program for you.

For the Achilles, try running in some higher drop shoes for a while.  I would go with a pretty big drop as this will relieve pressure on the achilles.  I purposely keep a pair of high heels for when my achilles start to bark and doing my easy runs in them usually gets rid of the problem right away.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Swim5599

What you don’t want to do is tear it or worse rupture it.  I tore mine two years ago and it was a nightmare.   Higher drop shoes for sure and I’m talking 12 mm drop.  Wave inspires or riders.  My PT strengthened up my entire ankle to help out.  If you can get your hands on a wobble board that can help as well.  If it’s popping and swollen it’s trouble so be super careful with it.  When I tore mine the swelling was roughly the size of my fist.  It’s not something you want to play around with to be honest.

flyrunnr

What you don’t want to do is tear it or worse rupture it.  I tore mine two years ago and it was a nightmare.   Higher drop shoes for sure and I’m talking 12 mm drop.  Wave inspires or riders.  My PT strengthened up my entire ankle to help out.  If you can get your hands on a wobble board that can help as well.  If it’s popping and swollen it’s trouble so be super careful with it.  When I tore mine the swelling was roughly the size of my fist.  It’s not something you want to play around with to be honest.

I agree with dkggpeters and Swim on the higher drop shoes, and perhaps some heel inserts in your regular everyday shoes. It will take some stress off the achilles, and should show some results after several days of wearing them. I had PF for about two years, and bought some heel inserts from Jack Rabbit at NYC and started running 90-100 mile weeks and my PF went away. I attribute to the inserts in my everyday shoes and my easy running shoes, now I can lose the inserts and feel fine again.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Reglor

dkggpeters, Swim, flyrunnr, thanks for the advice.  I'm surprised you guys were running with Achilles issues, even with the higher drop shoes.  I'll try that.  However, it will be a balancing act because the main reason I've drifted to low drop shoes is my chronic metatarsalgia.  More pressure on forefoot from higher drop shoes might have an adverse effect on that.  I guess I'll have to play it by ear.

The whole Achilles issue kind of crept up on me.  A couple days ago was first time I recognized it as an actual "injury".  I did realize that my ankle was feeling somewhat tight/sore in the morning for last couple months.  It didn't seem alarming, though; I understood there was some stress but thought it was probably good stress that my body was handling and was getting stronger from.  Also, it could be that a few recent runs in a new shoe (Clayton 2) with a heel counter that irritated my Achilles were what precipitated the actual flare up.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a little spooked dealing with Achilles problem.  I may see if taking some time off improves things before I resume training.

Swim5599

76 this week.

Mon 10 7:50

tue 10 7:38

wed 12 with 5x1 T (5:51,5:40,5:46,5:47,5:31)

thurs 10 7:47

fri 10 7:40

sat 9 with 3x200 (34,33,33) 3x400 (72,72,71) 3x200 (33,34,33)

sun 15 hilly, windy, and sloggy

pretty solid.  Today was a bit rough.   I really struggle to find the correct effort level up here for threshold stuff.  So the paces yo yo more than I would like.  Back in Chicago I could almost lock in and day dream throughout threshold sessions

Laura

Reglor, I agree with the guys on higher drop shoes and also looking into some inserts. I'd find a place you trust to fit you for some though, don't waste your money on ones that aren't going to make a proper difference for you. I also agree with probably throwing some inserts in your every day shoes- as a female I can attest that I have to watch my work shoes in the office during training as it makes a big difference. I certainly feel it if I wear flats or heels too often without rotating in the opposite. I know you gentleman don't have as big of a difference in your work shoes (Maybe you do, I'm not judging! LOL) but work non-running shoes can impact your feet just as much if not more than running shoes since you spend so much time in them.

JT & Mikkey thanks for the support guys- I'm happy with the half and yes just trying to keep with what I've been doing and should bode well for Buffalo. Mikkey- I love that workout before a half, it makes you feel like you're doing work without draining you. In general I'm a big fan of workouts with multiple race paces in there though.

Swim: Great week and workouts, that isn't that much yo-yo-ing on the T work but I understand what you mean. What do you think the difference is?

My Week: Mixture of recovery from the half and building back for peak. Only 1 real workout but a solid long run. Though, weather finally nice enough for stroller miles which kind of counts as a workout especially into the wind. A few miles short on the week but no regrets- Hannahs' first birthday was yesterday and was pretty wiped from the 4AM 20 miler and throwing her party the day before so opted to take it easy and just enjoy our day with her without squeezing miles in.

Mon 5 Miles 8:15 avg Legs feeling pretty good from the half yesterday
                              Tues 7.2 miles + Strides 8:32 avg/5:25 avg Stroller miles with H + Strides to shake things out
                              Wed 11.5 Miles 6:53 avg  8 x 1 mile T w/90 Sec R (6:28, 27, 26, 23, 32, 24, 32, 24). Probably should have been a tad bit faster but happy considering HM 3 days prior.
                              Thurs 4 Miles 8:40 avg Stroller Miles with H
                              Fri 5.5 Miles + Strides 7:43 avg/5:14 avg Easy Progression 8:23 down to 6:45 + Strides
                              Sat 20 Miles 7:41 avg 4AM run 1st 6 8:47 down to 7:44, 7-18 were 7:20-30, 19- 7:15 20-7:07. Good Easy progression.
                              Sun - - Hannah's First Birthday
                              Total 53.9 Miles    

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

weatherboy80

Lela:  Another solid week and I think I forgot to give you a congrats on the HM so congrats!    Looking good coming into the stretch for Buffalo.

Swim:  Agree with others - that was a solid week and looks to me like the T stuff was amost spot on.  Even had enough to hammer the last mile!

Reglor: Welcome back and hopefully you can find some shoes that work.

First full week back after Boston so very pleased overall.  Pretty happy with the 5 X 1 K effort on Friday to see where the legs are at going into some season ending (locally) 5K's coming up in about a week.  Not sure if the fitness is quite there for a sub 17 effort (especially with the warmth we will have this week), but feel that it's at least close enough for low 17's.  Plus I'm coming in with some marathon rust.  Going to hurt either way since it has been several months since trying to race a short distance event.  Then I'm likely going to reset into some easy paced running after the 5K's as it's probably needed after 6-7 months of hard training.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Apr 23, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 29, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 6.2 8:09 Just a bit different weather than 7 days ago ... EZ mixed sfc strava
                                Mon 10.1 2:58 EZ spin strava
                                Tue 9.2 7:07 EZ w/ progression to ~MP strava
                                Wed 8.1 7:56 Morning Run strava
                                Wed 4.2 7:13 EZ Double strava
                                Thu 7.1 7:22 EZ + strides strava
                                Fri 2.0 7:41 Warm up strava
                                Fri 4.3 6:13 Knocking the rust off these marathon legs: 5 X 1K w/ 400m jog strava
                                Fri 2.1 7:59 Almost run over on the cooldown strava
                                Sat 7.1 7:13 Morning Run strava
                                Sun 11.2 7:03 ~7E + 20min uptempo + c/d strava

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)