2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Laura

Good Morning! Thank you guys for support in training, tracking on race day and post race cheers - it's nice to have such a good group here to be able to chat with! I took this past week off (aside from a few walks) and went for first post-marathon run last night. a bit of bambi legs going on but no pain or discomfort and in general feeling really good a week out from a PR effort.

A bit more about the race itself - dew point was mid to upper 60's and it was warm from the get go.. My goal was first few around 7:00, mile 1 was the only time I hit that. I fell into a groove early on and just kind of went with it. I was chatting with other runners, found a nice big pack to run in (sub-3 guys mainly) and it worked out well. Rounded the half in a little over 1:29, and noticed how....controlled it felt. I admittedly was scared to push it too soon, so focused on trying to help keep the pack together and chat with some of the other guys. I took 3rd around 15 I think and noticed how much I was holding back. I started pulling away from group around 17-18 and took 2nd at 18 (a very big oh shit oh shit oh shit moment)....I was then running solo mostly and in the tough part of the course with no sun protection and not as much spectator support. Around 20ish I took the lead which was an even bigger oh F- moment. I had prepared for this race in a lot of ways, but this was not one of those scenarios. I stopped looking at my watch at that point and just focused on maintaining the effort and hopefully not getting passed. I knew I was running faster than the first half but didn't want the details. Took the last few rolling hills knowing I just needed to get to 25 and it was downhill/flat to the finish after that. The lead cyclist picked me up at 25 and really helped me push towards the finish. I had no idea of my time (he called in to the finish asking for a clock time at one point but I couldn't do the math to figure out where that would land me) and just tried to push (no idea where second place was behind me). Took the last few turns and finally saw the clock at 2:56:XX...and the RD moving half marathoners over, and then the tape. It was honestly a very surreal moment. I didn't even know they set off fireworks when I crossed until after when I saw a video. PR & a win....hard to top that. My last mile was a 6:20 and last 1/4 mile was right around 6 so definitely tells me there was more in there (good fuel for the future!).

Seems like everyone here still kicking ass with mileage even with the turning of summer season here. I think we're out of marathons for most of us for a few more months until fall if I'm remembering correctly? My goal is speed and power for summer/fall and go after a big half PR.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Lela - Great race report and huge congrats on 1st place!  It’s been very cool having you here and hope that you continue posting your training even though you’re switching to shorter distance training.

Finbad - Great racing and you don’t seem to have a weak distance that needs working on. I can see you going very low 2:40s at Berlin!

Swim - No hate from me regarding CIM as it’s not a joke course like St George. I just liked winding up Calbears

JT - I’m glad the calf is ok again!  Yes, my hip is 100% again and will be getting back to a regular running routine next week when I get back to UK. I’ve registered for a couple of races (in my sig line) but no marathon yet.

I’ll be registering for London marathon Good for Age again in August...but interesting to see that they’ve capped it to 3000 men/3000 women so it won’t be an automatic qualify. And the standard is harder....Sub 3 for young men of age 39 or under! I can use my 2:58 from last year which should be ok seeing as I only need a Sub 3:15....the advantage of being an old man!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim5599

Mikkey your going to have to tell me the best way for an American to even get into London.  I wanna run in 2020.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I entered I hope I get in. I'm not worried about hotel as I'm inviting myself to stay with Mikkey and his old lady.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

mattw4jc

Awesome job Lela! I'm sure that was quite the experience.

A week off was probably a good way to go. Take your time before the next round.

I suggest you update your picture here with that one of breaking the finish line tape. Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I entered I hope I get in. I'm not worried about hotel as I'm inviting myself to stay with Mikkey and his old lady.

Slammin has finally found the Runningahead Sub 3 thread!!!

I’ve always said that you are welcome to stay with me if you visit UK and run London marathon (the same for Flyrunnr and Swim)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ive entered the overseas ballot as well for London but sounds like less than 10% chance. Local tour company has only been allocated 25 entries and have over 150 wanting to go.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Lela - Great RR! To run that kind of time in that sort of dew point is probably one of the more impressive efforts I've seen in these forums. Just to really give some perspective, your time on an age equivalent basis is a 2:36. Take into account that oppressive dew point, I think you're the equivalent of 2:30 or so. That is unbelievable and really something you should be proud of. Honestly, I think if you put in a few more cycles, you have a serious chance at going for the OTQ B standard. The men on this forum are shit compared to that! You should definitely stick around, maybe we can all learn something from you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

finbad

Lela - that is a really cool race report. As JMac says it is next level stuff for this group. The added complexity of actually racing for the win is something I can't really fathom in a marathon.

On different topic - I think I'm going to meet Callum Hawkins tonight. Been told he's coming up to my club to announce something, all very mysterious. Fanboy report to follow.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

paul2432

Haven't posted here in a while (have been reading).  Just jumping in to say great report Lela and congrats!

Laura

Thanks all, I really appreciate it! Also - I'm not going anywhere, cant get rid of me that easily! Goal is to focus on short speed for summer and target 1-2 halves this fall to try and get my half time down to 1:20ish. Because, yes...targeting an OTQ B next year is on the radar. Definitely running Boston in April and then probably 2 fall marathons next year depending how close I can get to 2:45. This fall is speed and power focus though, and well...focusing on getting married in September (minor details LOL).

Right now lineup for next few months: July 4 5k (just to see what I can run post-marathon), July 20th Subaru Chase 4 Mile, August 4th Bergen 5k, Down the Aisle September 15th, Wineglass Half marathon September 30th. Beyond that not sure. If anyone has a late fall half in mind with a good course/decent field let me know - I've done Philly before and might consider that one

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Lela - Great RR! To run that kind of time in that sort of dew point is probably one of the more impressive efforts I've seen in these forums. Just to really give some perspective, your time on an age equivalent basis is a 2:36. Take into account that oppressive dew point, I think you're the equivalent of 2:30 or so. That is unbelievable and really something you should be proud of. Honestly, I think if you put in a few more cycles, you have a serious chance at going for the OTQ B standard. The men on this forum are shit compared to that! You should definitely stick around, maybe we can all learn something from you.

Where did you get that figure from?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/ageequivalent.cfm

I just put in age 30 female to male. I think it’s also pretty common to assume women are about 20 minutes slower than men in marathons around this level. Obviously elites are a bit closer than that, and slower runners are a bit more.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/ageequivalent.cfm

I just put in age 30 female to male. I think it’s also pretty common to assume women are about 20 minutes slower than men in marathons around this level. Obviously elites are a bit closer than that, and slower runners are a bit more.

You had confused me as an age equivalent time for a 30yo wouldn’t be any different. Yes 20 min is about standard, to win a Moose Mug it’s 2 hours + age for men and add 20min for women. That could be Lela’s next goal before the 2:45 attempt. 👍

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - If you want to talk about age/sex equivalent marathon times based on a 30yo male then CInnamongirl would be hard to beat....her last couple of marathons had an age equivalent time of 2:47...subtract 20min = 2:27.

This place is dead. So different to the vibe on RW forums.