2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Swim5599

Fin that’s a crazy fast 10k. Well done

Weather great looking weeks.  How you run any kind of quality in those kinds of humid conditions is amazing to me. I’m arguably the worst warm weather runner ever.

Subdood I love those pfitz plans my only gripe is when they throw that LT in 2 days after the MP LR.  I predictably failed regularly.  They get ya ready.  By the time the longer MP runs come in your ready to eat steal.

JMAC great result as well.  Yeah I’m on Strava.  Sean Kennedy is my name.  Mikkey don’t go getting credit cards under my name now ha ga

75 this week with 2 good quality sessions

mon 10 7:37

tue 11.5 with 3xK at 5k effort (3:25,3:21,3:16)

3x300 at mile (52,51,52)

3x150 (25,25,  then did a 200 31.4)

wed 10 7:31

thurs 10 7:28

fri 11.25 with 5x200 at Mile effort (33,33,32,33,33)

5x35-40 sec hills at 4:45 pace ish

5x200 (32,32,32,33,31.4)

sat 15 7:11

sun 7.25 7:28

overall really pleases with where things are

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

SubDood - The Pfitz ‘Advanced Marathoning’ was one of the first running books I bought.....but never followed any of the plans. A former poster Calbears (he’s a similar age to us) did very well on a Pfitz half marathon plan which I think he used for the full, but can’t remember the exact plan.

Swim - With my Irish accent I could easily steal your identity and no-one would bat an eyelid. 😜.  Really cool to see your training for the mile and how much work that goes into a short distance. A Wednesday evening race?

My training has been so pathetic I’ll not bother posting it...highlight was going to London for the weekend and seeing the Foo Fighters. My 10k race next month should be a lot of fun.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Subdood: That was a nice race report; I enjoyed reading it. It's strange they gave the Grandmaster award to the guy who finished behind you, but I'm glad it worked out and the error was corrected in the end. It's cool that you have a friendly rivalry now with the guy. Do you expect him there this year, and if so, who has the edge this time around?

Swim: Nice week, what is the target for your mile race?

Mikkey: Foo Fighters, always liked them but never saw them in concert; I bet it was a good one! Everlong is a great tune.

A decent week for me. I had some stomach issues during my 3 x 2 mi session, which made the last rep challenging to put it mildly. I had a nice trail run with my son yesterday; hopefully that will be a regular thing over the summer. The main challenge is getting him out of bed on a Saturday morning . Starting to get somewhat used to the warm humid weather, though the worst of it is certainly yet to come.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jun 18, 2018 thru Sunday, Jun 24, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Tue 10.1 8:25 Morning Run 507 strava
        Wed 13.3 7:21 3 x 2 mi (12:16, 12:17, 12:27), 0.5 mi recovery 575 strava
        Thu 10.1 8:29 Morning Run 507 strava
        Fri 11.1 8:33 Morning Run with hills 1215 strava
        Sat 6.0 9:27 Trail run with Matthew 493 strava
        Sun 20.0 7:35 Long run: 14 easy + 3 @ 6:26 + 3 easy 782 strava
          70.6 8:06   4079  

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Swim - Nice week. Where you getting these workouts from? Sounds like stuff I used to do in track in high school. Are you coming up with them on your own, have a coach, or other?

JT - Your runs are breaking the magic 80 barrier with those 11 mile runs! Also yeah we've been so lucky with weather so far this summer, June has been beautiful, but it looks the humidity is returning Thursday and will be here to stay. Of course, my first quality workout is this Sunday and it's predicted high of 90 with dew points in the upper 60s.

Me - All easy mileage this week, just trying to increase both easy runs and long run distances before officially starting marathon training this Sunday. Also going to try run commuting this week for the first time. I realized it's pretty stupid to take the subway home and then go run around in the park when I can just run home and save myself the subway fare and the time.

Weekly Summary

​

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Tue 9.9 7:50 Time to up the easy run distance strava
          Wed 9.9 7:50 Evening Run strava
          Fri 9.8 7:49 Evening Run strava
          Sat 17.8 7:57 Afternoon Run strava
          Sun 5.9 8:19 Evening Run strava
            53.3 7:55  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Swim5599

Mikkey I’m the best looking Irishman on earth so stealing my identity would be damn near impossible

JMac.  Looks like a nice recovery week.  Yes I work with a coach. He’s a pro up here in flag

JT also a nice looking week.  The 3x2 is one of my favorite WOs.  As for the mile goal I think anywhere from 4:50 to 5:10.  It rolls a bit but if I can get out in a comfy 72 I think I could close in 70.  But we ll see.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

watsonc123

Finbad - that's a sharp 5k.

JT, Weather, Mikkey and Swim - thanks for your wishes re my dad.  He starts chemo on Thursday.  He has a good chance as it is definitely one of the ''better" cancers (large B cell lymphoma).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Foo Fighters, always liked them but never saw them in concert; I bet it was a good one! Everlong is a great tune.

I’ve seen them 10+ times live now...but never really been a huge fan of the band. The first self titled album way back in 1995 which Dave Grohl wrote and played all the instruments himself was amazing. All the other albums are ok with some good tunes.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I’ve seen them 10+ times live now...but never really been a huge fan of the band. 

Does...not...compute

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JT: Even though I think I'm in decent enough shape to go for a true sub 17 5K, don't think it will happen this summer without traveling to a better climate.  Humidity just kills my chances for decent speed.  Fall will hopefully present some better opportunities for some PR attempts at the 5k and HM (hopefully).  That's a blazing fast hometown 5K!!  Solid week and a nice big LR in there as well.

Swim: Thanks for the comments on the quality in the warm/humid conditions.  Think I'm fairly well adapted, but it never gets totally easy either.  Really have to stay on top of my hydration in between runs as it is really easy to get behind.  Feel like my fitness is a bit better than it was at this point last year so that's encouraging to see even with the heat.  BTW,  yet another solid week with those 2Q days!

Subdood: Congrats on the race!

JMAC: Nice week.

My week: Came up just a bit in mileage this week with 2 decent quality sessions with the first being a 4 X 1200 meter bridge/hill workout on Wednesday with some abbreviated hill sprints on the cooldown and then on Saturday used a small local 5K to run a few miles at uptempo (or just under six flat) pace towards the tail end of a 14 mile MLR effort.  Porbably close to a true tempo with the heat anyways.  Have a 4th of July 5K that I'm sort of trageting for my next true hard effort, that includes some more bridge repeats.

eekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Link
                    Mon 8.3 7:10 Sticky EZ progression strava
                    Mon 6.2 7:10 Afternoon heat therapy 🌞 strava
                    Tue 11.5 7:37 EZ + strides strava
                    Wed 2.3 8:23 Fun run warm up strava
                    Wed 3.1 5:37 4 X EG Bridge repeats strava
                    Wed 3.5 7:44 Cool down + hill sprints strava
                    Wed 4.3 7:10 Hot afternoon miles strava
                    Thu 10.1 7:47 EZ @ Viera Wetlands strava
                    Fri 8.1 7:19 Soupy + strides strava
                    Sat 14.2 7:28 8E + 20min @ uptempo + 3E strava
                    Sun 6.1 7:38 Too much painting yesterday 😂 strava
                      77.7 7:26    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

SubDood

Swim – I hope the Pfitz plan gets me ready to eat steel, but I’d settle for a fast marathon. I agree, the LT run 2 days after the Long MP run is tough – having it occur at the end of week 2 seems almost counter-productive. Good luck on the mile race! Those workouts look like fun.

Mikkey – The Pfitz ‘Advanced Marathoning’ book seems to be the one used by a lot of RA posters. After the last 6 years of training, I’m probably overdue to give it a try. If it’s tough, that’s probably a good thing, as long as I can keep the injuries at bay.

JTReeves – My friendly rival is not signed up this year for some reason, which kinda sucks. We always place pretty close to each other at various distances, and it’s part of the fun. Part of the explanation for them handing him the award in 2015 was that he was fairly well-known to the race organizers – he holds the grandmaster course record he set in 2012. Also, he looks over 50 since he is closer to (if not older than) 60, whereas it’s not as obvious with me. I’ve had a slight advantage in the most recent races since I’m still on an improvement curve (I hope I’m still on it!) and I suspect age is having more of an impact on him than me right now. But he has run MANY sub 3-hour marathons in his running career, something I have yet to do. BTW -- You are very lucky to go trail running with your son! My son is a very solid baseball player, but easily the slowest runner on his team. He would laugh if I woke him up to go running – and then go right back to sleep.

JMac – Run commuting is something I’ve thought about doing for years, but have never attempted. I have clothes hanging in my office at work in case I ever decide to do it. With this Pfitz plan, there are a number of 14 and 15 mile mid-week runs coming up soon, and this is about the distance from home to work for me. I’d have to figure out some logistics, but I should really try to make it happen at some point this summer.

Weatherboy – Thanks for the congrats. The race link I posted was actually from the 2015 race, but I won the GM (over 50) division in 2017 and hope to repeat this year. Maybe they’ll recognize me if I win this time! (In 2016, I arrived 4 minutes after the race started, and since it is gun-timed, I had no chance. My rival won it easily.)

Re: Foo Fighters – Echoing JT’s comment, Everlong is a great song. It was getting a lot of air play around the time I met my wife, so I have that association when I hear it. There is also an acoustic version of it that I have on a playlist; it just about brings me to tears each time.

I ran my Long Run on Sunday (yesterday) on the same hilly trail course I’ll be racing in a couple weeks. 16 miles. Great workout, but I’m feeling it today. I ran 67 miles per week the last 2 weeks, and it feels manageable, so that’s something.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I forgot the joys of marathon training in the summer. For my very first workout of this cycle, the high is now at 97 degrees, zero clouds, with a dew point of 71. I can't even run in the morning because of some triathalon taking up the entire park, soooo it looks like I'll be doing marathon pace work at a TDP of 160 once it cools down to a nice 89 degrees at 6 PM. Weatherboy - I have no idea how you train in conditions like this all the time. Just going to throw any hope of pace out the window and go by "effort," whatever that means in these conditions.

Andres1045

I forgot the joys of marathon training in the summer. For my very first workout of this cycle, the high is now at 97 degrees, zero clouds, with a dew point of 71. I can't even run in the morning because of some triathalon taking up the entire park, soooo it looks like I'll be doing marathon pace work at a TDP of 160 once it cools down to a nice 89 degrees at 6 PM. Weatherboy - I have no idea how you train in conditions like this all the time. Just going to throw any hope of pace out the window and go by "effort," whatever that means in these conditions.

High humidity and high temps are already difficult enough.  Add in full sun, and that's simply ridiculous.  I'm not sure what the workout is, but the problem is that the effort required to hold whatever pace you start at increases exponentially the longer you're out there.  So if your MP is around 6:30, and you wanted to do 8@MP in 7-7:15, assuming that would feel similar to MP in the first mile, it'll feel like HMP by mile 4 and 5k effort or faster at the end even if you keep it in that range or even slow down some. I can't imagine JD would want you out there running any of his workouts (even adjusted for pace) in those kinds of conditions. I'd just take it easy, or find a treadmill to do it on (and I know, treadmills suck...I agree).

Also, don't look at Weatherboy.  That dude's a freak.  And he's well acclimated to that kind of weather.  I may have this wrong, but while he did some 11am runs in full sun, I think most of his actual quality is quite early in the morning when the sun is not out or lower.  But again, he's a freak.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good point and certainly something I've found in the heat. I think my current MP is around 6:40 or so, and was thinking of doing something in the 7:05 range for this workout. The problem is that 7:05 is a joke when you first start and then, as you said, gets exponentially impossible. The problem is the damn humidity, I can do it in 90 degree heat, but 70+ degree dew point will destroy me.

The MP workout is supposed to be two different blocks of 6 miles at MP. Maybe I'll do the first one and see how it goes. If it's absolutely horrific out there, I'll just back out of the last 6 and do them at easy pace.

Thanks for the advice.

weatherboy80

Andres is pretty much spot on.  No way can I get away doing quality types of runs in the peak heat.  So far this summer I have done most of my running right around sunrise or just after, although sometimes the humidity can make it feel a bit worse.  I do occasionally sneak out for an extremely hot afternoon run as well.  When I do run in the daytime it is usually along the Atlantic ocean where there is a sea-breeze.  If I had to run in places like Orlando or even Houston it would make it that much tougher.  The other thing is that we usually have prolonged periods of heat & some humidity year round with the occasional chilly or downright cold outbreaks from time to time.  For example, take a look at my January marathon where the temps were in the mid 70's with dp's probably in the upper 60's or so ...

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac: Is your hard workout going to be on Sunday?  I hope not; it looks like it will be absolutely awful then, at least where I am a bit north of you. High of 99 and DP getting to 75 by midday. My long run will be a disgusting sweat-fest, even in the early morning.

2:52:16 (2018)