2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Laura

Very exciting race reports from almost 50 miles to half marathons. Good to see all the posts from the long weekend.

I had a decent week ending with a 12 mile MP run on Sunday. This one was a bit mentally challenging because of the route I chose for myself. I started kind of in the middle of a 4 mile stretch of road and ran North for 2 miles, back South the full 4 miles, back North for 4 and then back 2 to where I started. This meant I passed my start / end / possible bail out point twice. I never stopped, but it was tempting to call 4 miles and 8 miles good enough and go home. Previous MP runs I had simply run out for half and then back so I had no choice but to keep going.

I give you credit, passing the start/stop point is something I avoid at all costs with tempo or MP workouts. Intervals it doesn't bug me (I use my neighborhood as a track a lot for speed workouts and leave a water bottle in my driveway). Something about those tempo and MP miles that I can't mentally hack it if I have an out! Though, I tend to use the treadmill as a crutch for this at times but I've gotten better about it.

Great week of training though and solid work on those MP miles, enjoy the cutback week!

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Parryhotter

Swim5599

It's so unfortunate that you've met so many obstacles in your quest to run faster. I can hardly imagine how frustrating it must be to work so hard and only to be detailed be an injury.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have better luck in the future, because at some point, you should run out of bad luck.

Swim5599

Swim5599

It's so unfortunate that you've met so many obstacles in your quest to run faster. I can hardly imagine how frustrating it must be to work so hard and only to be detailed be an injury.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have better luck in the future, because at some point, you should run out of bad luck.

Appreciate the kind words but I have actually been pretty lucky on the injury front.  The torn Achilles was only 17 days off.  The car accident was 26 days and the problem with that was that I couldn't cross train during that time because I couldn't take a deep breath.  This obviously has been the longest I have been away.  But the cycle I had for October of 2016 topped out at 125 miles and the Boston cycle topped at 130 miles and I was healthy that whole time.  I would not consider myself injury prone.  Unlucky ?  Yeah maybe a bit.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

mattw4jc

I give you credit, passing the start/stop point is something I avoid at all costs with tempo or MP workouts. Intervals it doesn't bug me (I use my neighborhood as a track a lot for speed workouts and leave a water bottle in my driveway). Something about those tempo and MP miles that I can't mentally hack it if I have an out! Though, I tend to use the treadmill as a crutch for this at times but I've gotten better about it.

Great week of training though and solid work on those MP miles, enjoy the cutback week!

Thanks Laura - I'm usually solo on these too which I think helps the mental side also. I use a local school's track for intervals. Definitely enjoying the cut-back week.

We got several inches of snow today - a rare occurrence for the Charlotte, NC area. I ran a nice, easy 6 in it. Instagram pics here.

Laura

Thanks Laura - I'm usually solo on these too which I think helps the mental side also. I use a local school's track for intervals. Definitely enjoying the cut-back week.

We got several inches of snow today - a rare occurrence for the Charlotte, NC area. I ran a nice, easy 6 in it. Instagram pics here.

Sounds like a good day off and easy run! Saw the IG, you are in Mooreseville. My SIL lives in Huntersville and other family in Mooresville right on the lake. I ran and won the Volition America half down there in 2016 (While secretly 6 weeks pregnant- whoops!)  Very pretty area and great for running from what I can tell!

{Strava}{IG}

mattw4jc

Sounds like a good day off and easy run! Saw the IG, you are in Mooreseville. My SIL lives in Huntersville and other family in Mooresville right on the lake. I ran and won the Volition America half down there in 2016 (While secretly 6 weeks pregnant- whoops!)  Very pretty area and great for running from what I can tell!

Nice on the win! That race had two bad weather years and then was no more. The organizer is going to try a similar course but in May this year. You should try the Huntersville Half in December. It is well organized. Not as flat as the Volition course, but a fun challenge. I say this having only ever been a pacer in that one though. Cash prizes for the winners.

cinnamon girl

Initial attempt at starting-  names dates places times on page 1 through Spring racing. Give more details if you want and I'll continue adding to the table. Only got a start. A lot of great stories here! Very cool. I love reading them all. I want to respond to so many posts but I've had a touch much gin tonight.

Weatherboy: ..  Town of Celebration? Congrats on getting to taper !!

My last week:

M: 35 min easy on TM
                T: 9 mi (7:48)
                W: off
                T: 15 mi (7:00)

F: 7 mi (8:13)
                S: AM: 6.25 mi (7:53) // PM: 4 mi easy on TM

S: 13 mi (7:13) hilly-ish (+700ft)

Laura

Nice on the win! That race had two bad weather years and then was no more. The organizer is going to try a similar course but in May this year. You should try the Huntersville Half in December. It is well organized. Not as flat as the Volition course, but a fun challenge. I say this having only ever been a pacer in that one though. Cash prizes for the winners.

Haha yeah the year I ran it was the weekend of Hurricane Matthew- first few miles weren't too bad but the few heading back from the golf course were into craptastic headwind and rain. There was a guy pacing and totally told me to tuck in with him since I was running solo- made a huge difference. I'll keep Huntersville half in mind, we may actually be down there in December this year visiting so could work out!

{Strava}{IG}

Laura

Initial attempt at starting-  names dates places times on page 1 through Spring racing. Give more details if you want and I'll continue adding to the table. Only got a start. A lot of great stories here! Very cool. I love reading them all. I want to respond to so many posts but I've had a touch much gin tonight.

My last week:

Thanks for gathering up all that info and putting it together- nice to see it laid out and who is racing when etc.

I didn't see, do you have a goal for Edinburgh?

{Strava}{IG}

weatherboy80

Cinnamon: Yes it's the Town of Celebration Marathon.  I'll try to post some tracking details sometime next week.  Already looking at the 9/10 day weather forecast and it's likely to be above normal as the pattern across the eastern US moderates quite a bit come early next week Sad  Too early to exactly say how much above normal, but I figured this cool trend (at least for us in the south) would be nearing an end.  It is what it is and I'll just adjust as necessary!

My last week:

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

cinnamon girl

Andres: belated congrats at Houston. Solid run! And I love that idea of running NYC with your dad on his 70th! I think you have a couple weeks left to register.

Mattw4jc: what marathon in March? If you want me to add you to page 1.

Paul: Happy Trails!

Lela: again, welcome! As far as Edinburgh, no clue. lol. As you say, consistency. All I want is a good consistent marathon training cycle I'm happy with for once, and then the race will work itself out. 9 months! I loved that age - so cute!

lagwagon: keep me posted on your fall plans - I'll add the fall stuff later. Hope your build back continues well.

finbad: train like a hippy! I like it. Kind of a good description of my approach too. I have ideas for what I want to do any given day but that can change at any moment based on all sorts of factors. London and Berlin! So they changed the Edinburgh course for 2018 ..

Swim: Ummm yeah! I'm glad you have someone to keep you in check! 

JMac: NYC! 

If anyone wants anything changed, updated or if I goofed or something re: page 1 let me know.

Doesn't make you smile when you read some of the intros .. saying we didn't get really serious about running until recently .. but have ran 20 or 30 marathons. lol.

Question - I ran a 432112344321 with 50% easy jog recoveries today. How hard of a workout do you consider this? It is 30 min of 'quality' but with 15 min of easy running too .. so I'm not sure. I thought this 'workout' was to fit well in base training. Maybe it's because I haven't done this volume of faster running in awhile  is why my legs are sore now. Paces didn't fall off at the end so I should just consider it a win .. hopefully I can walk in the morning.

Swim5599

Andres: belated congrats at Houston. Solid run! And I love that idea of running NYC with your dad on his 70th! I think you have a couple weeks left to register.

Paul: Happy Trails!

Lela: again, welcome! As far as Edinburgh, no clue. lol. As you say, consistency. All I want is a good consistent marathon training cycle I'm happy with for once, and then the race will work itself out. 9 months! I loved that age - so cute!

lagwagon: keep me posted on your fall plans - I'll add the fall stuff later. Hope your build back continues well.

finbad: train like a hippy! I like it. Kind of a good description of my approach too. I have ideas for what I want to do any given day but that can change at any moment based on all sorts of factors. London and Berlin! So they changed the Edinburgh course for 2018 ..

Swim: Ummm yeah! I'm glad you have someone to keep you in check! 

JMac: NYC! 

If anyone wants anything changed, updated or if I goofed or something re: page 1 let me know.

Doesn't make you smile when you read some of the intros .. saying we didn't get really serious about running until recently .. but have ran 20 or 30 marathons. lol.

Question - I ran a 432112344321 with 50% easy jog recoveries today. How hard of a workout do you consider this? It is 30 min of 'quality' but with 15 min of easy running too .. so I'm not sure. I thought this 'workout' was to fit well in base training. Maybe it's because I haven't done this volume of faster running in awhile  is why my legs are sore now. Paces didn't fall off at the end so I should just consider it a win .. hopefully I can walk in the morning.

Imo if your not a little knackered after a fartlek like that you didn’t run it correctly.  The key for me is keeping the recoveries honest. Not recovery shuffling.  They are big strength builders.  I like to do them

early to get a little fitness but I’ve also done some really big ones like 18x3 on 2 off.  Came out to be well over 9 miles at threshold pace.  So the 10x1 on 1 off isn’t to taxing but what you did def would be

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Mr MattM

I *love* these kinds of runs.  Way back when, I built a training program that relied heavily on pace variations.  I called it 'acceleration-based training' and my idea at the time was that I needed to train my body to be able to accelerate 'at will' through any distance.  I did a lot of ladders, revolving ladders, and in-out runs.  It worked pretty well.  I ran my 5k PR back then and improved through all distances.

As for your workout in particular, I think a lot depends on the pace/effort involved.  In my training, I'd push the effort to where the last minute of that 4 segment was very hard to hold... but doable.  It's a razor's edge kind of thing.  The soreness is likely from a combination of the effort involved... plus the pace changes.  Accelerating that many times in a run adds it's own training stress.

Sounds like a good run.  Definitely a win!

be curious; not judgmental

mattw4jc

Let's actually leave it the way you have it right now. I'm undecided between two that are the same weekend (Mar 17 & 18). I'll update when I'm registered.

Thanks!

cinnamon girl

Matt: will do.

Swim:  funny-  I ran 10 x 1 min on/off Tuesday.  Thanks for the input that I maybe did the workout right and should be a little beat up. Helps to know. I definitely kept recoveries honest which I intended. My first couple recoveries were 7:4x and remaining ones were in the 8s which isn't shuffling for me.

MrMatt: thanks. I definitely see how one can change up these runs for different workouts and targeting different race distances. I did manage to have my last four min and last 1 min segments to be the fastest. And it was tough to get the legs going at faster speeds for the shorter segments. I didn't do too well at that, except for the last minute. Maybe it's that last minute that did me in!