2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

finbad

BGS - I quite like doubles as it fits in with run commuting but to be honest I think in the situation you describe combining your miles would be ok as long as you keep it easy. I tend not to worry too much about going off-piste from a plan.

Weatherboy - Nice tempo pace. Little bit of easier weather training and <1:15 for the half seems like the obvious target.

JMac - good luck with the hamstring, sorry no tips.

JT - good easy week, nice balance of slower paces and long long run.

Sling - I say don't do the trail run then run sub 19 for the 5k. Just make sure you get up to race pace reasonably quickly, very little room to make up time in a 5k.

Calbears - Glad to see you back. Your endurance is massive so I guess the only question is pace

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Finbad - I just started run commuting (although only one or two days a week) and I love it. It makes my life so much easier. My commute is 30 minutes a day, but it's in crowded and often miserable subway rides, so I'll take running any day of the week.

JT - I cut the cord a few years ago so that won't be an option for me. Looks like I'll have to find a bootleg version online.

Sling - Normally that would be fine, but not sure why you're running 2 all out races within a few days of each other during your taper. Prioritize the marathon. Also, mid 60s and rain is perfect for a 5K (and honestly not horrible for a marathon). You don't really get impacted by heat in a 5K until it goes above 80.

Mikkey - Where are you, one of the loves of your life has returned to the thread and you're MIA.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Calbears is back...Oink Oink!  It sounds like you had a stressful time last year with the lack of work and having to put your running passion on hold. Yes, nobody really cares about Moose Mugs, Sub 3 marathons etc, but it’s important to use and our well being! I assumed that you had some long term injury as the last post I remember was you deciding to DNS at CIM in 2016?

Not sure if I’m the one to give advice as I have trouble figuring out my own fitness level!  But, we’re the same age and both started runnning in our 40’s so.....the sooner you get down to your old race weight the better! You like the high mileage, but be careful not to overdo it in the next 3 months....I didn’t run much in the latter part of last year and then really ramped up my mileage in Jan/Feb and felt invincible for 6 weeks....then the niggles started and eventually I couldn’t run and had to DNS London for the first time which sucked. When you’ve aleady run Sub 3 marathons the idea of training for something slower than that time is unthinkable and a motivation killer...but I’d say be realistic about CIM and see how things pan out nearer the time. You’ve always been a solid marathon racer and you know the course so I’m not saying it won’t happen! And the good news is that Swim is also running CIM which means you’ll be able to give him a pep talk at the start line! 😀. Bottom line is that you’ll definitely get it back...and if you don’t get injured then Spring next year will be good times for you!

I agree with JT... we’ve had some cool new runners join us this year and we’ve just about kept the thread alive! A lot of the crew from the old 2:50/3:00 threads have accounts here, but don’t post regularly...maybe your reappearance will bring them back!

Me non PC?  I’m glad I’m not young and starting out in life as it will soon become a crime to make a joke or have an opinion about anything...because someone on Twitter world will always be offended and outraged. 😡

Anyway, welcome back! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

iamdisappoint

My question for Mikkey and for whoever is willing to chime in - can I run sub 3 on Dec 2nd?

Again, sorry for rude intervention - hopefully I didn't offend anybody.

Anyone can run a sub3 on one of the big downhill courses, duh

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You are an evil douchebag!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Ha-ha.... I know one even bigger than CIM downhill course that happened to be very popular among noobs and general masses (is registration still open?) which plenty of people consider as a tough course. Running sub 3 there I would say even easier than plenty of other courses. Too bad it's crazy expensive and weather is a bitch. But hey, at least you can brag about running it.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Thanks for kind words everybody! But you guys killing the whole purpose of coming back to the forums - I expected some people to have at least some common sense. I am actually shocked. I understand you guys are all nice people, but let's just think. Let's just forget that I ran plenty of sub 3s and all that "you are the legend" bul***it (it's hilarious even to hear that). Back in old days we used to have that service - people would ask if they can run sub 3 based on certain training. And most of the feedback was honest. But based on the responses I've heard so far it seems to be OK for a person who ran whole whopping 420 miles during year 2018 (it's 14 miles per week avg, btw), didn't run single mile for the whole last 3 months, 25 pounds over his optimal race weight from 2 years ago - it seems to be totally OK to answer - yes, you can definitely run sub 3 if you train hard for the next 72 days. Are you serious? Wow, I should check this thread - maybe there is some new trend I missed Smile It's amazing - it's like 100% opposite of what I expected to hear. Now I will feel like a loser even if I run 3:01 Smile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for kind words everybody! But you guys killing the whole purpose of coming back to the forums - I expected some people to have at least some common sense. I am actually shocked. I understand you guys are all nice people, but let's just think. Let's just forget that I ran plenty of sub 3s and all that "you are the legend" bul***it (it's hilarious even to hear that). Back in old days we used to have that service - people would ask if they can run sub 3 based on certain training. And most of the feedback was honest. But based on the responses I've heard so far it seems to be OK for a person who ran whole whopping 420 miles during year 2018 (it's 14 miles per week avg, btw), didn't run single mile for the whole last 3 months, 25 pounds over his optimal race weight from 2 years ago - it seems to be totally OK to answer - yes, you can definitely run sub 3 if you train hard for the next 72 days. Are you serious? Wow, I should check this thread - maybe there is some new trend I missed Smile It's amazing - it's like 100% opposite of what I expected to hear. Now I will feel like a loser even if I run 3:01 Smile

Nah, we just think running a sub 3 is easy these days, not like in the old days when marathons were uphill the entire way and you had to run with your shoes on the wrong feet.

Also, I only said you are a legend because Mikkey couldn't stop talking about you for the last year, like you were some long lost lover who did things with him that no new lover could replicate.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Back in old days we used to have that service - people would ask if they can run sub 3 based on certain training. And most of the feedback was honest. 

Run 10mi in am, 10mi at lunch, 10mi in evening --> 30mi/day and 210mi/wk.   In your mind and in your heart lives Steve Prefontaine.  BOOOM!!...you are now Superman Kipchogski.   Sub3 is easy.

(...maybe Nils is lurking too?)

CalBears

Nah, we just think running a sub 3 is easy these days, not like in the old days when marathons were uphill the entire way and you had to run with your shoes on the wrong feet.

Also, I only said you are a legend because Mikkey couldn't stop talking about you for the last year, like you were some long lost lover who did things with him that no new lover could replicate.

Yeah, running nowdays is much easier - especially when you use some magic Nike sneakers (right Dan?)

JMac - unfortunately, I've never met Mikkey, I was almost going to run London at one point but never pulled the trigger. I guess Mikkey just liked direct unsophisticated thoughts I was providing but he forgets that it's natural for me as I am a non-native English speaker (started to speak English at the age of 33).

Andres1045

But based on the responses I've heard so far it seems to be OK for a person who ran whole whopping 420 miles during year 2018 (it's 14 miles per week avg, btw), didn't run single mile for the whole last 3 months, 25 pounds over his optimal race weight from 2 years ago - it seems to be totally OK to answer - yes, you can definitely run sub 3 if you train hard for the next 72 days. Are you serious? Wow, I should check this thread - maybe there is some new trend I missed Smile It's amazing - it's like 100% opposite of what I expected to hear. Now I will feel like a loser even if I run 3:01 Smile

Nobody said that.

But regardless, it was a stupid question to ask. You're fat, old and depressed. It's unlikely you'll finish the marathon at all, much less under 4 hours.

That better?

I get that being being too encouraging or optimistic can cause some problems.  But being an ass while claiming that you're just honest doesn't always do much good either.

I agree with everything that Mikkey said, except the part of training for something other than a sub 3 being a motivation killer.  And that's only because I don't want to believe it as I'm training for a marathon that I know I won't reach sub 3 in.

Upcoming races: Boston

Callsbear start a crossfit program right away and sub 3 is a lock 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

slingrunner

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I'll slip the race tonight.  I was considering it because I enjoy these local free trail races, and pfitz says run a 5-6 mile race this weekend, which is what the total mileage of these two races would be.

I was keenly aware during my 10K 2 weeks ago in mid60s humid that the weather was affecting me immediately... unless my fitness is worse than I thought.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

2018 (it's 14 miles per week avg, btw), didn't run single mile for the whole last 3 months, 25 pounds over his optimal race weight from 2 years ago - it seems to be totally OK to answer - yes, you can definitely run sub 3 if you train hard for the next 72 days. Are you serious? 

Calbears: Sorry, I did not realize you are still carrying all that extra tonnage, I thought you had increased to that during your hiatus but had since returned to normal weight. Therefore I have to change my assessment to a much more negative one!  Increasing your fitness to sub 3 levels in 3 months would be very tough, but doable, if you were at racing weight (especially with a gravity-aided, non-WR eligible course like CIM ) but if you simultaneously need to shed 25 lbs of Crisco, that's a tall order. Just get back into training, increase mileage, run CIM for fun, not time, and by end of the year you could be at your previous weight and ready to start a serious marathon cycle in 2019.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nobody said that.

But regardless, it was a stupid question to ask. You're fat, old and depressed. It's unlikely you'll finish the marathon at all, much less under 4 hours.

That better?

That made me laugh!

On the subject of stupid....I’ve registered for 3 marathons in the space of 4 weeks next Spring....Brighton (14th April) London (28th April) and that crazy 105 laps  (Eastbourne Trackstar) on the track again on 11th May.

Lots to look forward to in 2019!