2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

kramrunner

Indy 2018, w11/18
    M         01 03 50       7.16 + 8x hill sprints
    T          01 14 45       9.5 w/ 3wu + 2/1.5/1@6:00 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: 120/90/60s static
                00 35 56       4.4 w/ 1.3@6:30
    W        00 45 16        5.21
                00 42 43        5.21
    Th        -- -- --             URD
    F          00 47 45        5.69
    S          01 20 00       10 tm w/ 6E + 3@6:31 + 1E, 0.5%... bailed, felt rubbish
    S          01 33 19       11.27
                                      ====

An ok week. I tweaked my left calf on Tue evening and felt pretty garbage for the rest of the week thereafter. Experience, means I now know not to fight that feeling and listen when my body complains. Nipped it in the bud and finished off the week with rubbish that I was ok with given the circumstances.

Indy 2018, w12/18
    M        1 10 29      7.75 + 8x hill sprints
    T         1 25 04     11.0 w/ 3wu + 4x1.5@6:00 + 2cd, 0.5%, rec: 90s static
               0 33 17      3.84
    W        0 45 00      5.22
               0 41 38      5.20
    Th       1 30 42     10.59
    F         0 59 12       6.9
    S         2 32 22      21 w/ 2wu + 18@6:58 + 1cd, 0.5/1/0.5/0%
    S         1 01 58       7.22
                                   ====

Very happy with this week, with my highest mileage since March. I was also able to finally nail a threshold session again after a month of meh, and I got in a solid long run at what is supposed to be something in the region of 90% MP, though I'm nowhere near sure that is anywhere near possible as I still have loads of HR drift. I'm hoping that is mostly down to the relatively hot gym conditions resulting in rapid dehydration and that things will be much improved in the cooler outdoors. If I can keep consistent like this for the next 4 weeks, I'm hopeful of being able to have a go at something approaching 2:50, but I've no real interest in being aggressive right now... hopefully, I'll find reason to change this mindset, onwards!

BGS: Ahh... the running life, getting up at all hours, enduring constant aches and pains and then just end up being annoyed with yourself. It's all about consistency. You have to trust the process. Get this cycle in and run your marathon and then when you stack another cycle on top you'll see a real difference. A winter cycle in Atlanta may be just what you need! Also, realize that the vast majority of us have failed at a sub3 attempt before getting it done. All part of the process.

JT: You've put in a cracking cycle and although I can understand the desire not to blow up, I really think you'll have a shot at 2:50. Saying that, head out at 6:30-6:35 and bring it in via a neg split and that'll really put the cherry on this cycle. Taper madness right ahead!

JMAC: Things are really starting to come together now. The NYC course may bring you and JT closer together as I've heard it's worth an extra 1-2 mins. Absent something rotten from the gods, you're set to PR. Good luck in the 10 miler. As long as there are a few to run with, you'll have a great shot at sub60.

Weather: You're in great shape. All that humid running can't be too far off training at altitude. 80 as a down week, awesome!

Madison: Fast way to end the cycle. Enjoy the taper, you'll make mincemeat of that 3x1 session. Are you going for 2:39:59 or got a more aggressive A-goal?

Mikkey: I love how crazy we are, as soon as one as done, sign up for another. If you can avoid that damned injury bug, a fun spring lies ahead. You should msg. Megan, as I'm sure if the royals find out that you're running, they'll let her do it too.

Cal: You have a huge diesel engine. The first 10lbs will fall off easy and anything from another 5-10 will come off if you get a consistent 3 months in. Given your marathon experience, sub3 is on. Not easy, but very doable.

Sling: ha, more small race fun. You'll be close to sub3, but don't stress too much. Another cycle and you'll be nailed on.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - This past week for you was insane, well done! I feel like I say this every week, but your comeback has been so impressive. If you hit 2:50 in Indy that would be unbelievable given your injury.

JT - As Kram mentioned, the NYC course does take out a good 2 minutes compared to a completely flat course. I actually like that NYC isn't completely flat, as I don't think I run well on those types of courses, but I could do without the Queensboro bridge at mile 16 and the 5th Ave hill around mile 23. I keep telling myself one day I will run a completely flat course to see what I'm capable of, but we'll see. I would definitely give sub 2:50 a try on a flat course, but I'm probably going to follow the same advice Kram gave you: head out around 6:30 pace and go from there. I have faith I can negative split if I feel good given I did it last year at NYC.

BGS - Now that your log is public, it's pretty obvious why you feel like crap (besides what we've already talked about): you went from a consistent 150-160 miles per month to 237 in July and 307 in August. Of course you won't feel good! You should also add a graph of your weekly mileage so you can see how rapidly you increased. Did you expect you could ramp up mileage like this and feel the same? Trust me, just hold at your current mileage and trust the taper.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

BigGuySkinny

Actually it looks like this log starts with April so it's not telling the whole story.  My mileage was in the low 300s last fall leading up to that marathon and then in the 210-270 range winter/spring leading up to a 33 mile trail race in April.  After that race I intentionally backed everything down for a few months before ramping up for this cycle again.  But you make a valid point that I've ramped up the mileage fairly quickly which probably isn't making me feel any better.  And I'm not getting any younger...

finbad

Mikkey- good work getting right back in the marathon mindset. I think I may also book another for Spring time (Stirling is only a week after Boston) just so I can relax if first race day weather sucks. Having to throw all my early year fitness into a warm London this year was a bit gutting.

Sling - nice 5k result, looks like you could take a chunk more off too. I also agree about the Kinvara, a great shoe, I've some incredibly ugly green ones that I only get out for racing.

JT, weatherboy, JMac - all great weeks

Madison - looks on for fast times

BGS - that's a very decent week for being so down. Don't worry about everyone else's mileage. I don't think I'd ever run an 80 mile week until this year when it just sort of got easier. I was firmly in the 60-65 mile peak range when I first started aiming at sub 3. Not necessarily suggesting an lower mileage plan (if you've the time and lack of injuries then go for it) but I wouldn't be too surprised it's kicking you around.

Kram - hitting proper tempo pace is tough during marathon training and a great confidence booster, nice one.

My week -  bit lighter due to going camping on the islands off the west coast of Scotland with my daughter from Thursday to Sunday. I'd recommend the workout I did on Tuesday as a real tank-emptying experience - long warm up, 2 @ HM, 2 mins jog, 6x90s hard with 60s jogs, 2 @ 10k pace. started rocking and rolling in the last mile. Those are the ones that make you better (I hope).
          Monday, Sep 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 7.0 7:14 Lunch Run strava
          Mon 5.5 7:38 Afternoon Run strava
          Tue 13.5 6:56 Garscube, 2 miles, 6x90s, 2 miles strava
          Wed 6.8 8:04 Amber wind strava
          Wed 5.1 7:46 Downed trees strava
          Thu 5.2 7:08 Lunch Runners, 3 hills strava
          Fri 10.4 7:03 Island life strava
          Sat 8.1 7:08 Breezy Hebrides strava
          Sun 0.2 6:13 Turning tide at Saligo Bay strava
            61.8 7:16    

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

madisonrunner

I hit a pretty cool milestone today - 40,000 total miles run.  One of my long term goals is to hit 100,000 miles so it's neat to hit a big round number like that.

JMac - I do put a lot of notes in my log and I often refer back to them.  I've always figured only me would find them interesting, but I certainly can share more here, just not sure what is useful/interesting to others.

BGS - As others have said don't lose faith.  You are building a huge aerobic engine and a sub 3 will result eventually.  It may take a while though - it took me 3+ years and then after breaking 3 the first time it was another 8.5 years until I broke it a second time.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Madison - Wow your Pfitz cycle has gone perfect and congrats on the 10k TT and 40,000 total miles! With your running talent I’m sure that anything you post on here will be interesting/useful to us!

JMac - Things are really looking up for you now and the 10 mile race will be interesting (but I bet it’s a bad weather day 😜)  I’m looking forward to tracking you at NYC again! On a sadder note Flyrunnr (a poster who ran an awesome 2017 race at NYC) hasn’t been able to run much this year as he’s been dealing with Lyme Disease. Get well soon buddy.

Weatherboy - Fantastic week as always! What are your next goal races?

BGS - You need to chill out as your cycle is going great....you aren’t injured...you’ve hit high mileage weeks (which is what it’s all about with running a fast marathon)....and you’ve still got over 6 weeks to go, which gives you plenty of time for some faster paced runs.

Kram - I agree with JMac about your comeback and something in the 2:50s would be amazing! I’m sure you’ve got loads of treadmill data but maybe a tune up race might be good before Indy?

Megan?... What can I say, Harry was punching well above his weight as she’s fucking gorgeous!

Finbad - Very cool that you’re going to Boston....now that Cal is back he’ll calm everyone down if it’s going to be bad weather and a headwind 😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - Actually, the forecast looks really good! Upper 50's and sunny. No excuses from a weather perspective, only excuses will be from tired legs from training. Also appreciate the tracking you did last year, I was actually excited reading it going back after the fact. Also I didn't know that about Fly, that really sucks. I was wondering what happened to him, he put up a great effort last year going sub 3. Lyme disease is so scary, for the first time in my life this summer I found ticks on me that were clearly attached for over 36 hours and it terrified me for the weeks after.

Madison - We actually love race reports. They can get pretty crazy (I rib Mark over on the Sub 1:30 forum as his race reports often give details of the shape of pasta he ate the night before and what system his competitors use to tie their shoelaces), but it's always interesting to hear how other people's races went and what they learned from them. I think it's especially useful to hear from people like you that are so much faster than us normal folk.

Finbad - Your half is coming up. What's your PR, and what's the goal?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Mikkey:  My next official goal race is a Half in Orlando on Dec 1 so a little over 2 months until that one.  Once it cools off will start to fine tune an appropriate race goal.   Also would like to "officialy" go well under 17 minutes in the 5K in a few tune up races come October and November.  Might also target a tune up 10K at some point if I see one that fits.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

finbad

Finbad - Your half is coming up. What's your PR, and what's the goal?

PR was March this year (1:15:28) on a course that was nice and flat. That was pre-London so I'm not quite as fit now and a couple of kg heavier. I've never done this course before but it looks a bit lumpy. So, with all that sandbagging out of the way I'm going to aim for sub 1:17

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

SubDood

I haven’t posted here in a little while, but I’ve tried to keep up with everyone. Great to see all the activity here!

I think there are maybe 5 of us (?) on this thread, if I recall correctly, that are racing on October 7th, myself included. I hope all is going well for sling, BGS, Madison, Finbad, and anyone else I forgot that is also tapering. The last 2 - 2.5 weeks have been rough for me, but probably to be expected after 14 weeks of following this Pfitz plan almost to the letter. I have recently traveled for work, injured my hamstring, injured my lower back, got a sinus infection, and I’m currently a chaperone at a middle school camping trip that goes all week. I think that being around 200 twelve-year-olds in the woods is the toughest part of all this!

Anyhow, my injuries are healing, I’m getting in most of my runs, my recovery pace has gotten faster, and I still feel pretty good about my chances at a first-time sub-3 (although I’ve been thinking that since about 1996!). I did a 3x1 mile workout today (during a reprieve from chaperone duties), and it went well; I hit close to my goal pace — 6:03, 5:51, 5:59, with half-mile jog breaks. I think Madisonrunner had the same workout scheduled today, although I’m sure his pace was much, much faster!

10 days left of (mostly) easy running until Twin Cities. My race report may not include details on the shape of my pasta, but there will be details that I’m sure that I alone will care about!

slingrunner

Glad you are healing Subdood!  Like you, I'm enjoying the activity on the thread, although personally I find it difficult to respond to everything here. I hope most of us can make our goals next weekend.

I'm enjoying the taper, and the shorter runs that come with it.  Feeling mostly healthy.

At Calbears advice, I did attempt to do some downhill prep work 10 days out..  I wanted to do it earlier in the weeks, but major storms here Tuesday night.  Found a nice 1.2ish mile road stretch with 300 feet+ downhill that allowed me to run trails back up to the start and did that 3 times.  Going to take it easy for a few days before my last long run.

I've had really bad weather for my last 3 marathons, and 3 of my last 4 ultras, so I'm really hoping my luck will change.  10 day forecast shows low of 47 and high of 62, with occasional rain showers and 5-10mph of wind, which sounds pretty good to me!

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

madisonrunner

SubDood, glad to hear you are still on track even after battling through some challenges.  3x1 around 6:00 pace should give you some confidence to go after sub 3.  I did have the same 3x1 mile VO2max workout today.  It was probably the toughest workout of the cycle for me but I got it done - 5:15, 5:14, 5:09.

Now that I'm through all of the workouts I'm ready to set a goal:  2:36.

My plan will be to run the first half in 1:18, hit 20 at 1:59, and then hammer the last 10k.  If the weather ends up as perfect as predicted (43, cloudy, w/ 10 mph tailwind) I may be a bit more aggressive.

CalBears

At Calbears advice, I did attempt to do some downhill prep work 10 days out..  I wanted to do it earlier in the weeks, but major storms here Tuesday night.  Found a nice 1.2ish mile road stretch with 300 feet+ downhill that allowed me to run trails back up to the start and did that 3 times.  Going to take it easy for a few days before my last long run. 

slingrunner - ok, running downhill miles that close to the target race is kind of a little risky, but if you did it, all should be fine if you approach next few days wisely. If you you didn't run downhills for last 3-4 weeks, your quads probably will be sore starting tomorrow or (as in my case) the day after tomorrow. In my case it can last for 2-3 days (and even, after some really hard downhills - 4 days -  but probably not your case) but I am an old dude. SO... IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES run any fast stuff - wait until your legs (quads) not aching. That's the main thing. You will not gain anything if you try hard stuff, but you can easily do an unrecoverable damage. I hope you understand. You can run but if your quads hurt, run extremely slow miles - just enjoy the surroundings while running very slow.As soon as everything is fine, do whatever you wanted to do.

madisonrunner - 5:15, 5:14, 5:09. - wow! 3 miles in a row! Never in my life I ran that fast - only few times running steep downhills. Cannot relate. And if read it correctly last few days, you only broke sub 3 twice? If so - man... How did you get to the current level? How old are you?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

slingrunner

Thanks Cal.  Morning after my quads feel fine at the moment, but my left foot which has on and off plantar fasciitis is hurting more than it has recently (but not as bad as in previous years and I think I can run through it).  I think I still have enough time to recover.  No fast work remaining on my schedule, and I'm taking today off from running anyway, and just 5 easy miles Saturday.  I knew it was a bit of a calculated risk, but I do run on steep trails frequently, so it's not like it's totally new on my legs.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Madison - First, wow to that workout. But second, WOW to that weather. Low 40's and a tailwind? How much money do I have to spend to get that weather for my marathon? You dream about days like that. I hope it stays that way for you.

Sling/Sub - Good luck with the rest of the taper. Sounds like you guys are enjoying it. You're supposed to be going crazy!