2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

slingrunner

JMac- I think I'm about 2:58-2:59 shape, with the downhill nature of the course giving me maybe 2 more minutes.  2:55 fitness seems unlikely.  I haven't run a marathon since last fall, but last spring I crushed my 2017 ultra times, so maybe I can work magic. Current plan is to go out fairly aggressively and hit half at at least 1:27-1:28 (most of downhill is in 1st half).  Given the deteriorating conditions and late hills, I expect to lose a minute in the last 3 miles alone.   I have arranged for support along the course, and I may bail at mile 17 or mile 21 and try to run Baystate on 10/21 or Philly marathon in November if under 3 isn't in the cards.  If the temperature swings just 5 degrees cooler, I like my chances, but it hasn't budged in the last 2 days.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

SubDood

I caught a nasty cold from those nasty middle school kids I was with last week. It’s now 5 days until the marathon, and I’m wondering if I’ll be able to race. Weather looks ok - low 40’s, decent chance of rain, 10-15 mph headwinds for the latter part of the race. But if I don’t start feeling a lot better real soon, I’m thinking about DNS’g and signing up for a marathon on October 21, two weeks later than planned, and making my sub 3 attempt then.

Question for this group: I’ve tapered for 2.5 weeks already; if I decide to delay my race by 2 weeks, what advice for how to train?  I’m thinking of just repeating the last 2 taper weeks again, but I’m open to other ideas. My taper so far has been lighter on mileage than the plan (Pfitz 18/85) called for due to injuries and travel, so that may factor into this as well. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.

madisonrunner

JMac - nice 10 miler, should give you a ton of confidence.  Pfitz actually recommends a slight positive split to run your fastest marathon so  you could consider going out in 1:23-1:24.  If you feel great you can negative split and be closer to 2:45.  If you just feel okay/normal then a 1-2 minute positive split still gets you sub 2:50.

BGS - I run to/from work and agree that the cars turning right are the worst.  I was actually hit by a car while running in college this way.  I always make eye contact with the driver before crossing, or go around behind.  It amazes me how people don't look for pedestrians.  I'll have on a reflective vest, a flashing white light in the front and 2 flashing red lights on my back and still won't be seen.  I've knocked on many windows and given a wave just to let people know I am there.  If I go behind a car I'll give two quick knocks on the trunk so that the driver knows there's a pedestrian.

SubDood - I'd just do the marathon as a long run (potentially stopping at 20-22) and then repeat the taper, making sure to include some VO2max work.

Sling: Hope the weather (and your cold) get better. It's good you have some other race options later on.

Sub: Sorry to hear about the cold; seems a common problem on here lately! As with Sling it is good you have options for another race if this one is a DNS due to the cold. As far as training for the extra 2 weeks if you opt for a later race, I would probably roughly follow the 2 taper weeks again, but maybe put in a fairly substantial hard workout at the beginning of it, maybe a long run with some Q in it. Of course that may be difficult if your cold is still bad at the end of the week. Here's hoping you have a fast recovery.

BGS: Hope the hamstring/hip gets better. That is scary regarding the traffic! Glad that you came out ok. I would have to adjust if I ran where there was traffic since I am just not used to it. My morning runs during the week I usually don't encounter a single car; nobody wants to drive on the narrow dirt roads I run on.

Weather: Those are just insane temps you are dealing with!  Hopefully winter will bring some relief for you down in FL. Great week BTW.

Finbad: Nearly an 80 mile week and a good month at 300; good signs for your Boston race next spring.

JMac: That sounds a like a good strategy for your race, though I would say if you feel good you could crank it down maybe a bit sooner than 20 miles. It really depends how you feel during the race.

My cold has turned pretty nasty the last 2 days. I hope this is the worst of it. I took the last 2 days off of running. Probably need to force my arse out tomorrow morning or I'll start losing fitness.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - Belated congrats on Sunday, great pacing and a huge confidence booster!  As for NYC, you don’t need any advice because you’re a smart guy and ran it perfectly last year. Btw, squirrel is Steve Bonica on Strava (he ran a 62:59)

SubDood - Sorry to hear about the cold, not sure if another 20+ miler is going to be beneficial when you aren’t feeling good.

Cal - Nice basebuilding week! The weight will come off and you’ve got plenty of time before CIM so no need to stress!

JT - Damn! Fingers crossed the cold will be cleared up by end of next week. 👍

Finbad - Great week and good luck with the half!

Hey to everyone else. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey: Great job on that workout today; looks like you mean business!  I want to give that workout a try at some point.  [4 x (1 mi easy, 2 mi hard)] for those not on strava.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Great job on that workout today; looks like you mean business!  I want to give that workout a try at some point.  [4 x (1 mi easy, 2 mi hard)] for those not on strava.

Thanks JT, but please don’t look at my workouts and think that I know what I’m doing Smile

Are you feeling better today and ready to marathon?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sling - Looks like upper 60's for your race, low 60's DP. Not horrific racing conditions, but not great. I wouldn't bank too much time in the front half, but something around 1:28 seems reasonable.

Colds - Everyone is getting sick! I'll take mine now to get over with please.

Madison - I'm looking to hold around 6:25 pace for the first half of the race. I do have to deal with the Verazzano Bridge for the first mile, which takes a good 30 seconds off your time, but I think I'll be in great shape if I can get through the half between 1:23-1:24. I have negative split this course before so I won't be panicking if I come through at 1:25 though.

JT - there's a bridge around mile 19.5 that is a decent uphill, so I'm not picking mile 20 as that magical point that most people do, but rather because it has a significant "checkpoint" that you need to get through before figuring out if you're really okay. Early next week looks pretty warm, but that usually means a cooler period is coming for the weekend! Fingers crossed.

Mikkey - You have about three hundred marathons planned in spring 2019. Any plans for the winter in terms of shorter races?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Thanks JT, but please don’t look at my workouts and think that I know what I’m doing Smile

Are you feeling better today and ready to marathon?

Mikkey: I'm producing mucous by the gallon but do feel better than a couple days ago. Not ready to marathon now but in a week's time I should be good to go.

JMac:  I've been checking accu-weather regularly and you're right, warm early next week but then cooling down. The forecast for Hartford the morning of the 13th has a low of about 50-52. I'd like about 10 deg colder than that but I'd still take it. And looks like it really cools off after that so you should at least not have heat to deal with by the time of NYC.

Sub and Sling: Hope you guys are feeling better, whatever you are planning to do this weekend.

Madison: All systems go?

madisonrunner

FYI to all that the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% flyknit were released today.  I bought 2 pairs from Fleet Feet online.  They are likely to sell out quickly.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - You have about three hundred marathons planned in spring 2019. Any plans for the winter in terms of shorter races?

I’ve registered for the Brooks Brighton 10k on 18th November. It’s our biggest 10k race each year, but funnily enough I’ve only run it once. This is a last ditch attempt to run a decent race this year and would be very happy with a Sub 38. I’m going to try and find my inner Marky Mark and kick ass every training run. 😀

I’ve registered for the Brooks Brighton 10k on 18th November. It’s our biggest 10k race each year, but funnily enough I’ve only run it once. This is a last ditch attempt to run a decent race this year and would be very happy with a Sub 38. I’m going to try and find my inner Marky Mark and kick ass every training run. 😀

So all runs will be under 7 min pace now?  

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sub 6:45. When he's really run down the day after a race, I've seen 7:10.

Sub 38 is definitely achievable. You've already started mile repeats, which are pretty key for 10K. Can't wait to see some VO2 max thrown in there too, 1K repeats FTW

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes, but don’t tell Calbears.

Mikkey you may as well take down your 5 k PB enroute to sub 38 and kill 2 birds with one stone 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "