2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Andres1045

Cinnamon - Sorry.  I can't offer you any help with that kind of a workout.  Do you program it in your watch, or was it something you had to keep track of in your head?  There's no way I'd be able to keep track even though it seems simple enough.  When I used to swim (I very rarely did, and I hated it), I remember losing track of what lap I was on after the second or third one.

Brad - Awesome that you made it under 3!  The back to back is a hard thing to do.  I had quite a few friends that had run CIM and struggled at Houston.

JMac - Hopefully I'll see you at NYC.  Signed up.  I know it's not guaranteed, but it seems like most other people I've heard of with non-NYRR qualifiers seem to get accepted every year.

So I was planning to run on Tuesday, but the forecast had a big cold front blowing in.  Didn't feel like running in big winds, rain and temps in the 30s, so I thought one more day would be fine.  That day I flew down to Mexico City for work and was going to run Wednesday morning.  I had a little nasal congestion, but didn't think much of it.  Woke up Wednesday with full on flu symptoms.  Felt about as bad as I have ever felt Wednesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon (started taking Tamiflu Wednesday afternoon when I got back home).  Woke up feeling much better this morning, but have no energy.  I think at best I'll be able to start running by Sunday.

It sucked getting the flu.  But I kind of have/had a smile on my face since it happened this week instead of last.

Upcoming races: Boston

watsonc123

Years ago, I did a few workouts of something like 20 * (1 minute on and 1 minute easy).  I remember being very sore for several days afterwards.  And then a few weeks later I had a good size PR in the half.  Although I hadn't been running that long so I was very much on the beginner-intermediate progression curve.

My week was good.  Added 4km over the last week, knee felt good, apart from a little sore at the end of this mornings run.  Also added 1km to Thursdays tempo.  This week will be a cut-back, as I'm moving this coming weekend.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Link
      Mon 5.0 8:27 Evening Run strava
      Tue 5.1 7:52 Morning Run - Incl. 5 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
      Thu 6.4 7:31 Lunch Run - tempo 4.0km-8.0km strava
      Fri 5.4 7:59 Morning Run strava
      Sat 5.0 7:56 Afternoon Run strava
      Sun 9.3 8:08 Morning Run strava
        36.2 7:59    

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

weatherboy80

Brad: Missed this - congrats on the sub 3!!

Andres: Hope your feeling better.  Stinks that you got sick, but that was good timing being after the HM.  All in all a recovery week won't do you much harm anyways.

Watson: Nice week.  Glad the knee felt better!

Cinnamon:  Thanks again for setting up the first page.

Well - one week to go for me Smile  As expected typical taper tantrums underway for me right now.  Every run feels pretty sluggish, even the EZ stuff and I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to maintain pace for 26.2 so I guess I'm doing things right. Hopefully Ill feel much better later this week after some more reduced mileage.  Have to remind myself that the hay is the barn and the training has been very strong.

Unfortunately, the weather looks very warm and humid (by marathon standards) as just about all forecasts have temps in the mid to upper 60's (creeping into the 70's by late race) with dew points creeping back over 60+ as well.  Looks like we will likely be out ahead of frontal system moving through the plains and Midwest coming Sat/Sun with winds out of the southeast which just screams above normal for us.  Already knowing this I'll have to back off on my goal pace a bit. Under ideal conditions I was hoping to go out at 6:18-6:22 pace, but thinking I'll have to adjust by at least 5-10s if those conditions verify.  I've run in worse conditions before and I'll have a few EZ runs this week with temps close to 80 so I'll be able to acclimate just a bit.  That's just the price of living and running here in the Florida.  Would have been great to race at anytime over the past 2-3 weeks though

Looks like my bib number has not been assigned just yet, but it should be in a few days.  Looks like racejoy is doing the live tracking.  Race is the Town of Celebration Marathon.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jan 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 7.2 7:52 Windy!! strava
        Mon 4.1 7:35 Afternoon miles strava
        Tue 9.2 7:40 EZ + 8 strides strava
        Wed 4.1 8:23 EZ warmup w/ James, Tyler, & Jon strava
        Wed 6.0 6:07 2 X (1T + 2M) strava
        Wed 1.9 8:34 Cool down w/ Tyler & Jon strava
        Thu 8.1 8:02 Afternoon Run strava
        Fri 7.2 7:33 Pre-Marathon sluggish feeling has arrived 🙄 strava
        Sat 5.1 6:56 Free heat acclimation 😉 (2E + 2@MP-5s + 1mod) strava
        Sun 12.1 7:59 Last EZ "LR" w/ Jen & Jon strava
          65.0 7:40    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

tn_weather

Holy cow this tread is on fire. I was hanging out with swim on the dead thread.

48 yo, married with 3 boys in the Memphis, TN area. I was once a runner. Now I mostly get injured.  Last race Sept 2016.

For example here is my latest week:

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
          Mon 8.0 8:23 A very tired 8 miles. All this winter weather makes for a long work week. 120 137 strava
          Tue 8.0 8:26 2 inches of wicked good powdah - wind chill -2F 127 141 strava
          Wed 8.0 7:45 Coldest morning since 1996 - Temp 4F - Wind chill 8 below - Opted for the mill 0 0 strava
          Thu 4.0 8:07 4 mile easy run 98 45 strava
          Fri 9.7 7:19 9.5 mile steady run - work to home - jacked up right calf 131 127 strava
          Sun 5.3 7:53 Bailed on a 12 mile run due to sore right calf 110 78 strava
            43.0 7:58                                                                                    ^   528  

^

^

^                                                                                         Note-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just about ready to hit 50 mpw and another injury. Hopefully this one is minor compared with the last one (heel fracture) but we'll see.

Iam - Nice race!

weatherboy - Good luck next weekend!

cinnamon - Thanks for getting this thread going - and it is going!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cinnamon - Page 1 is looking good and thanks for going beyond the call of duty and including other races as well! 

Lela - Those PRs are very impressive, especially the half/full on only 49mpw and looking forward to seeing how you progress with the higher mileage!

IAM - Great RRs and big congrats on 1st place. I don’t know how you manage to recover so quickly and keep knocking out fast high mileage! That’s great if you’re in London for the marathon and give me a shout if you want to meet up post race.

DCV - Nice 10 miler race on mostly cycle miles! I was kind of interested in the Vaporfly’s...until I saw the price. DW would kill me if I spent that much on a pair of shoes.

Andres - Hope you’re feeling better and I’m very impressed at how quickly you got into Sub 1:20 shape! Hopefully the Boston weather will be good and you go Sub 2:50. 

Parryhotter - Nice marathon debut!

Weatherboy - That’s normal on feeling sluggish....you’ve put in a great training cycle so you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Cyberic - I think I managed to transfer my 2018 training onto the RA log, (although 3rd/4th January runs are missing for some reason)

My last couple of weeks....

Mon - 11@ 8:10 TM

Tue - 16@ 7:56

Wed - 10@ 8:06 TM

Thur - 12@ 9:34

Fri - 10 w/5k@ 6:26 TM

Sat - 11@ 8:23

Sun - 18@ 7:53

Total - 88

Mon - 15@ 7:58 TM

Tue - 10@ 9:30

Wed - 15@ 7:30 TM

Thur - 10@ 9:28

Fri - 12@ 7:43 w/4x2 miles@ 6:20 (3min rec) TM

Sat - 11@ 8:51

Sun - 20@ 7:20 w/last 5@ 6:30 TM

Total - 93

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cyberic

Mikkey- I see better in a log than with a HTML table posted weekly. Thanks. You're quite the high mileage runner.

Your 2017 entries were entered manually?

MTA: So you often do fast long runs like the one you did today, with the fast finish? I see the 18 miler from last week was not run the same way.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I see better in a log than with a HTML table posted weekly. Thanks. You're quite the high mileage runner.

Your 2017 entries were entered manually?

I’ve been using the RA log manually off and on since about 2011. I’m not a consistently high mileage runner and just have the odd burst of enthusiasm for a few months every year. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cyberic

I’ve been using the RA log manually off and on since about 2011. I’m not a consistently high mileage runner and just have the odd burst of enthusiasm for a few months every year. 

Like a few months before Boston?

MTA: I just checked your signature, and that made me remember your introduction. London, not Boston

This thread is indeed rolling! Hard to keep up with everything but I will try.

Cinnamon: That workout (432112344321) looks pretty tough. 30 minutes of hard running, probably faster than LT pace, maybe 10k pace on average?  I could see how that would leave you sore.

Andres:  That's great you started on the Tamiflu right away. Apparently it is a worse-than-normal strain of flu this year so you are lucky to get over it so quickly. And that is great timing, if you are going to get it, to get it after your goal race is done.

Watson: Nice week and good luck with the move.

Weatherboy: The hay is indeed in the barn and for you it is some pretty high quality hay, so just relax and get lots of sleep this week. I did check acuweather for Orlando next Sunday and was disappointed with what I saw... hoping it will not end up being as warm/humid as predicted. That said, you are in such shape that you can still drop a fast time even in that kind of weather.

TN: Solid week.  I hope that calf soreness is nothing major. Looks like you had even colder temps down in TN midweek than we had up in CT!

Mikkey: Great couple of big mileage weeks there!  Looks like you mean business for London this year.

Parryhotter and Brad: Congrats on the great races/PRs!

My week went well. I probably overdid a hard 6 x 1 mile session on the mill, since I have felt fairly tired since it. I meant to put some quality in today's LR but was not up to it, so just made it a bit on the hilly side but at an easy pace. I'll take it a bit easy this week anyway as I have a half I'd like to go for a PR in on Sunday.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                    Tue 10.2 8:27 Morning Run 506 strava
                    Wed 13.6 7:19 TM: 6 x 1 mi @ 10.1 mph (5:56), 0.25-0.5 mi recovery 0 strava
                    Thu 8.0 8:34 Evening Run on TM 0 strava
                    Fri 14.2 8:15 MLR 684 strava
                    Sat 6.2 8:30 Afternoon Run on TM 0 strava
                    Sun 20.2 7:57 Long run 1649 strava
                      72.4 8:05   2839  

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

TN: maybe the calf thing is just soreness from jacked up biomechanics from running in those temps/conditions. Massage it and stuff. Your soleus and gastroc might be stuck together (?)

Weatherboy: I like your attitude going in to this. If you can't go for time, go for placement. Run as physically and mentally as strong as you can, given the conditions of the day.   You're going to do great! Never know who's going to show up but looks like you should be targeting top 3! Post your bib/tracking when you find out!

Andres: cool you signed up for NYC!

JTReeves: i guess i did 8k at 8k pace. So I guess I should be satisfied. 6 x 1 mi on TM - I'm one who thinks it feels harder to run fast on TM. I feel it's easier running faster on the roads / track. Have a great time at your half this coming weekend!

I'm glad people are liking page 1.

M: 45 min easy on TM
                      T: AM: 7.3 mi with 10 x 1 min on / off  PM: 40 min easy on TM
                      W: 8 mi easy on TM
                      T: 13 mi with 432112344321 with 50% 'float-ish' time recoveries

F: 45 min (8:22)
                      S: AM: 30 min (7:40). then a lot of marching, PM: 45 min (7:55)
                      S: 19 mi (7:34)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Like a few months before Boston?

MTA: I just checked your signature, and that made me remember your introduction. London, not Boston

Yeah London is always the week after Boston and Jan to April is when I’m most focused! Re the long run, I sometimes do a couple each week, one endurance and one with a bit of quality as I’ve never been keen on doing doubles.

Cinnamon - Marching? 

finbad

Cinnamon - new Edinburgh route looks more tourist friendly at the start, should be good. Depending on circumstances I might make it through to spectate (speaking of which, IAM & Mikkey would be cool to meet post London if you're available).

The lunch runners club I go to sometimes does lots of sessions similar to the one you described (8x 3mins, 5x 5min, 864321 etc) and I always feel it the day after. I think anything less than 5 minutes makes you creep into interval pace rather than tempo. I do like these workouts though.

Weatherboy - really looking forward to seeing you race.

my week was wall to wall snow and ice so all my foot and ankle stabilising muscles are aching.

Threw my Sunday long run plan in the bin and went for a big yomp around in the snow and a pub lunch yesterday. Back to more serious business this week.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Laura

Watsonc123 nice week, glad the knee held up! Good luck with the upcoming move.

Weatherboy you're smart to be thinking about adjusting pace as necessary. Not ideal, but better than being too stubborn to adjust and paying the price. The training and miles are there, and being accustom to that type of weather will help too. But yes, probably would have been nicer to have the race when you guys were in that cold snap!

tn_weather what seems to be the issue with the calf? My calves are chronically tight so I have to spend a good amount of time working on them each week. Rolling stretching, compression, drills etc. Is it your actual large calf muscle (gastroc) or one of the deeper muscles (i.e. Soleus which is my one I have to keep an eye on)

Mikkey sick mileage, kudos to you getting all that in!

Andres- Definitely glad you didn't have the flu for the race, but still sucks you had to deal with it at all. I'm sure traveling home wasn't comfortable by any means. Do you have to go to MC for work often?

Cinnamon great week as well, love the two fartlek runs. How are you feeling after the 4321 workout? Solid 19 miler too!

I had a good week, first 50 mile week since pre-baby so that was nice. We had a huge party/work event Saturday so I'm glad I moved my long to Saturday so I wouldn't have to do it Sunday. It was our first overnight without our daughter, so we definitely had a few more manhattans...needless to say 2 slow recovery miles with the dog on Sunday was about all that was going to happen. Another 50+ week this coming week and then will take a recovery week. Official Buffalo Training will start after that!

Mon 5.0 8:23 Easy Treadmill miles 0-2% inclines 
                            Tues 10.0 7:11  3 x 1.5 T (6:35avg) + 4 x 400 (5:58avg)
                            Wed 5.0 8:25 Snowy recovery miles
                            Thurs 5.0 8:33 Snowy/icy miles
                            Fri 8.0 6:59  6 x 1k (5:58 avg)
                            Sat 15.0 8:10 Easy Treadmill long 0-4% inclines
                            Sun 2.0 9:34 Evening Recovery slog with my dog
                            Total 50    

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

mattw4jc

We had a snowy few days here in the Charlotte area last week. I had to move a couple of things around, mainly the 800s in hopes to not run them on ice. The track still had a couple of icy spots in lane 1, so I think I was doing 810s or so as I went around.

This was a cut back week on Pfitzinger's plan, but breaking 60 doesn't necessarily seem so. I did have two days and two half days off work, so I think the rest time was in sufficient quantity. I'm feeling okay, but this week is a bigger week with 7 tempo and a 22 long run later in the week.

Date Distance Pace Comment  
                              Mon Jan 15 3.12 8:37 Easy three for a streak  strava 
                              Tue Jan 16 9.02 8:49 Morning Run  strava 
                              Wed Jan 17 6.00 8:29 Office is closed! Six in the snow.  strava 
                              Thu Jan 18 10.50 8:51 Icy sidewalks and snowy trails  strava 
                              Fri Jan 19 6.06 8:03 Afternoon Run  strava 
                              Sat Jan 20 9.50 7:37 Six by eight hundred  strava 
                              Sun Jan 21 16.04 7:45 Long Not So Slow Distance  strava 
                              Summary: 60.24 8:14 Bike commute: 26 miles  

Mikkey - yes they are rather $$$, but I will only wear them in races and... I guess I'm lucky my wife doesn't do the bills? Wink

My week. (It's only 20.x miles of running so no I didn't run 158+ miles). I'm toying with a May marathon (Long Island or Run for the Red), but yesterday's 12 made me question if I really want to train for it. Closed that run in 7:41.

Also, dealing with some left peroneal tendonitis, something, something that makes me really sore after longer runs (i..e today). Also, I think my calves are pretty much non-functional when running which could be a big reason why I've slowed. Maybe I should do something about that.

I also put in the for NYC Marathon lottery (because I'm slow). If there was a marathon I'd want to be my last it would actually be NYC since it was my first).

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Mon 20.1 2:53 0:57 4wk FTP Booster Week 1 Day 2 - HIT 45sec #1 111 (63%) 347 strava
                                Tue 20.1 3:09 1:03 4wk FTP Booster Week 1 Day 3 - Tempo into Sprints 114 (65%) 951 strava
                                Wed 3.1 8:15 0:25 3 mi - 6.2 to 7.9 every 90sec 118 (67%) 0 strava
                                Wed 16.5 2:48 0:46 Watopia - Trying to stay in Z2 116 (66%) 465 strava
                                Thu 17.8 2:53 0:51 4wk FTP Booster Week 1 Day 5 - 40/20's #1 109 (62%) 508 strava
                                Thu 2.0 8:07 0:16 Morning Run 129 (73%) 0 strava
                                Fri 20.6 2:55 1:00 4wk FTP Booster Week 1 Day 6 - Tempo with accelerations #1 115 (65%) 757 strava
                                Sat 3.5 8:13 0:28 Morning Run 135 (77%) 49 strava
                                Sat 23.2 2:43 1:03 4wk FTP Booster Week 1 Day 7 - Sweet Spot 12 118 (67%) 606 strava
                                Sun 12.0 8:24 1:40 Morning Run 0 (0%) 49 strava
                                Sun 19.7 2:45 0:54 4wk FTP Booster Week 2 Day 1 - HIT 80% FTP #2 121 (69%) 603 strava
                                  158.6 3:35 9:28     4335