2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

Lurking again. Because Mikkey asked so nicely.

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

Swim/Weatherboy way to set the standard on great weeks.

Swim this power jargon, does that just replace the word pace ? Power sounds more badass 

Weatherboy great job on that 2x 5k very impressive.

I will try and get you back on my strava. I went through a trimming process when I wasnt running much

Biguyskinny sorry im out of touch with your cycle but you would want to be confident of your current fitness based off races and workouts in your cycle which im sure you are aware 

Jmac so much more drama than 1st appeared. This is why we love race reports !

Keitany wasnt in Vaporfly hallelujah !!!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Swim5599

I only posted my week so Mikkey can stop

whining

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

slingrunner

JMac-  Loved the race report...until the surprise ending!  You ran an awesome race and crushed your old time.  I think there is general agreement in this thread that a negative split is the more enjoyable finish in a marathon, and you probably could have helped your cause by running some of those earlier miles a tad slower, but if your goal was to put up the fastest time possible, I think you ran a near perfect marathon.

I'm guessing you missed my post from Saturday, but I just had the exact same problem just happen to me with my right foot, at the exact same time (one week out from my race).  I'm taking a lot of comfort that you got through it.  My foot also felt better as my last long run progressed, although it hurts today.  I taped mine up in kenesio tape...did you do wrap it at all for you race?

BTG- Don't give up hope with your 3hr.  Just go out there and see what happens.

I'm wrapping up my steroids now, but I'm afraid that my breathing might not get to normal for quite a bit from my month+ cold.  I have a temporary inhaler.  Hopefully MP will be OK, don't think I could do vo2 at the moment.  Weather for my race on Sunday is shaping up to be very good...nearly ideal, although the high at the end of the race is currently slated for only 39 and I have Raynaud's disease.  Hopefully if it is sunny I'll be OK; gloves don't really work for me. It's kind of stupid, but I'm trying to figure out how to effectively use and possibly remove arm warmers without it messing with my watch, especially if I go with two pairs of arm warmers (one to cover my hands as needed).  Even in mid30s, I think I'll want to be in a singlet.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Cal: Glad the foot is doing better. I expect you back at 110-120 miles this week 

Swim: Great looking week. What does 6:20 MP at 7000 ft translate to at sea level?  Do you plan to do any tune up race prior to CIM?  Looks to me like you are in sub 2:40 shape.

MT: That's interesting with your hip pain. It almost sounds a bit like the hip pain I had from my hernia, but that didn't stick around as long as yours and was nowhere near as severe. I hope your injury days are a thing of the past. Not sure if you do strength work but I swear by squats and deadlift for injury prevention.

JMac: Congrats again on an awesome race! Great report as well. Like Piwi said, no idea there were so many difficulties! Looking at your splits as the race progressed they were really locked in. I was amazed how you didn't lose much time at all on the big hills. Your time on a flat course would be right around what Uncle Jack's calculator equated your 10 mile time with (2:43), probably even faster. Run Erie with me next September; by then you'll be even fitter and you'll easily break 2:40 .

BGS: Take it easy this week and soak in the taper. I hope it helps get you in a positive mindset.  You've put in a great cycle and sub 3 is possible!  BTW, remind me what your race is?

Weatherboy: Great week. I think you should go out aggressively for the half and try to hold it. WIth that sub 17 5k you should have a lot of confidence to go for it.

Sling: I hope you get to full strength by this weekend. Just relax, no need to try to get in any VO2 workouts in the final week IMHO.

Me: First full week of running post-hernia surgery. Felt fine, only issue was feeling massively out off shape. I started my strength routine up again and was sore as hell for a few days after that. Definitely lost some muscle and probably gained some fat. More easy mileage for this week. I'm now thinking about maybe doing a spring marathon after all even though I said I wouldn't. Getting motivated with all the great racing going on here!

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Oct 29, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
            Tue 10.1 8:47 Morning Run 489 strava
            Wed 6.3 8:59 Morning Run 366 strava
            Thu 10.1 8:38 Morning Run 484 strava
            Sat 10.1 7:58 Morning Run 495 strava
            Sun 12.1 8:15 Morning Run 637 strava
              48.7 8:27   2471  

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Welcome back!

JMac - Great RR and a 90sec positive split sounds about right as the 2nd half is harder. Regarding the faster early miles I always have my Garmin set on average lap pace (1 mile) rather than current pace. Treat yourself to an easier marathon as that course is no joke!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

steve_

powered by plants

Mikkey, thanks for the heads up.  I had no idea that things moved over here.

I was squirrel on RWOL.  I'm running Harrisburg this Sunday looking for sub 2:55.

I look forward to catching up with y'all and wasting tons of time on here,

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

weatherboy80

Thanks JT!  One good thing about the Orlando half is that I should have some folks to latch onto no matter the pace.  Not certain how agressive pace wise I can be just yet though, but hoping that recent sub 17 including the steep climb at mile 2 idicates that I might be a touch faster on a flatter course.  BTW - nice job on building the milage back up!

Nice week Swim.

Hope you feel better Sling and good luck this weekend.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

BGS - I hope you're taking things very light this week given you feel overtrained. I wouldn't run more than 25 miles before the race.

Weather - I hate JD when I'm training with his schedules, but it really does work. I definitely need to take care of my body over the next month or so before building back up for Boston. I can't wait to see you race your next marathon, as I think you have the most fitness on this thread after Madison and you should have a good shot at sub 2:40. My favorite workouts to do while peaking for a half are the mixed T + I + R work. I don't think you've done any of that to date, right? Something like 4x1T + 4x1KI plus 4x400R. I always think that workout doesn't look difficult but it really beats the hell out of you.

Matt - I do think NYC calls for a positive split, so the fact that I hit a 90 second positive split doesn't really concern me. I just thought the entire final 8 miles was a miserable experience, even if I maybe gained 30 seconds in total time because of it. I guess I would say don't plan for a positive split is the better mantra, instead plan for an even split. But I think when you have positive split in your head, it just leads to more horrible 5 minute blow ups.

Gabby and Steve - Welcome back. Squirrel/Steve I barely crossed paths with you on the old RWOL, but I do remember you so welcome back. Also, for both, maybe a quick bio for those who don't know you?

Piwi - There were SO many Vaporlys (I never know if it's Vaporflys or Vaporflies) out on the course this Sunday. I would imagine 1/3 of the people around me were wearing the newest version. I'm still trying to hold back on buying. I know Skechers doesn't get a lot of love, but I'm going to try their new GoRun Razor 3. Looks like they made a lot of cushioning advancements and it's more of my type of shoe with a 4 MM drop.

Sling - I saw your post, just haven't had a real chance to respond. If you have exactly what I have (look up metatarsalgia), it's annoying but doable for your marathon. It really healed up during my taper week since I was running so little, and was more just an annoyance during the race than a hindrance. It's still bothering me today just walking around, so it's not like it really disappeared. Andres put these on to me, and I wore them in my work shoes, which helped with the pain significantly (https://www.amazon.com/Metatarsal-Felt-Foot-Pad-Pieces/dp/B01K8QDNEK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZD94ND7XYW3QWR7ESWBE)

JT - Thanks! Also, big thanks again for tracking. I've never run a marathon on another course so I'm just used to the punishing bridges and hills at this point. I actually think I wouldn't do well with a pancake flat course, but maybe something a bit more forgiving. I am trying to figure out my fall/winter marathon next year, but I think I'll do something later like Dec/Jan as I plan on taking a couple of big trips this summer which would ruin any real training I could do for a traditional fall marathon.

Mikkey - Boston up next, but (see my post to JT) looking for a Dec/Jan marathon for the next one. While I was running NYC, I swear to you that as I saw the Vaporlys out there, I thought about how well I could run in them plus at CIM based on your comment earlier! It's like a cheater's paradise, just throw a little EPO in there and you've hit the trifecta (j/k). I am seriously considering CIM though, or maybe Houston, because they line up well with my desire to not start heavy marathon training until September 1.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mt79

JMac - Nice race report.  I don't think running a marathon and going for a peak performance will ever feel good.  It's a hard event.

Squirrel - Remember the name from RWOL.  Welcome.

JTReeves - Glad your week back went smoothly.  I haven't done strength work since the marathon build up of 2015.  I was doing all the leg stuff.  I think it helped a lot on race day with quad fatigue.

weatherboy - How hot/humid is the Orlando race?  Did it slow you down last year?  I'm planning to run the 1/2 in Melbourne in early Feb if all goes well.  I was out running at the same time as that race a year ago and it was balmy.  I'm not too worried about it for a 1/2 before the sun really comes up, but a marathon would suck.  My Sunday/Monday runs this week were 10am starts and it has gotten kind of hot again.  The sun makes a huge difference, my pace is 30 seconds per mile slower than last week.   You seem to be rolling in the same heat, so maybe I just need to toughen up :-)

Swim - Nice week.  Pretty soon you will be doing a power warm up/cool down and power stretching.  This could be a branding opportunity.

BGS - You never know what will happen after the taper and loading up on fuel.  Good luck!

I forgot to post my last week.  Oct 28-Nov 3 - 63.1 Miles - 8:36 pace - 7 Easy runs

Status: Sore legs and some IT band type pain.  So far so good.

Plan for this week - 64+ miles 7 Easy runs

mt79

JMac - For the Daniel's plan, how do the Q sessions mileage limit work.  I have the 2nd edition of the book, and I think I will try a plan this year.  On the workout days, it says something like 1000,1200,or mile + 3,4,or 5 minutes easy recovery, limit of 8k or 6% of weekly miles.  Does that mean do 5x1 mile to get 8k or the mile repeats plus the 5 minute recoveries total 8k.  After reading your race report, I flipped through the book to the marathon training section and it looked super hard.  One of the early weeks, the Q1 was 20 miles with 16 at threshold and marathon pace and I was like, "nope".  Thankfully, I was looking at the elite plan.

CalBears

Mikkey - Boston up next, but (see my post to JT) looking for a Dec/Jan marathon for the next one. While I was running NYC, I swear to you that as I saw the Vaporlys out there, I thought about how well I could run in them plus at CIM based on your comment earlier! It's like a cheater's paradise, just throw a little EPO in there and you've hit the trifecta (j/k). I am seriously considering CIM though, or maybe Houston, because they line up well with my desire to not start heavy marathon training until September 1.

I find it interesting that quite a few people repeatedly, constantly, call CIM "a cheater" course, but none (none!) of those "quite a few" ran it. I find it really interesting.

It's like from my years in Soviet Union when some writer would write a book and Communist Party vindicated it - then a bunch of "very smart" people would say - "I didn't read the book but I strongly support the Communist Party view of it" Smile. The same is here - hey guys, come and run it - stop using gossips and rumors.

Nobody calls Boston a "cheater" course, though it's just maybe a tad more difficult - and I kind of have a right saying that - because I ran Boston 3 times and CIM 5 times. My Boston times are  2:50, 2:57 and 2:51. My CIM's times when for the same years I ran Boston - 2:53, 2:51, 2:48. And I ran CIM in a much better weather (Boston was warm for 2 out of 3 years I ran it), the PR year at CIM - I was in best shape of my life and had the best training cycle of all times, setting HM PR  4 weeks before CIM.

So, people, please come and run it - experience it firsthand, don't repeat others people nonsense - if  you think you will have easy downhill course, you are in for a big surprise Smile (I just do not wanna spoil it)  But what I can promise you is a great running weather, that's for sure - no Boston nonsense.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

How to delete my own post I wonder?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cyberic

How to delete my own post I wonder?

You can't.

Cyberic

I just ran a "cheeter course" marathon. A real one. I do think it gave me a 2 minutes or so edge, which I used to squeeze in my first sub-3. The course is point to point, with a net downhill, on a rail trail, so no steep hills. I don't think I could have done the sub-3 on a "normal" course. Many people ran good times there, but I also saw many good runners not manage the course well (too fast, too soon) and not do good. An easy course does not mean automatic PR, it seems.

Net downhill doesn't tell the whole story, either. I found Boston to be a hard course.

And about CIM, I heard it was not an easy course, for what that's worth.