2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Andres1045

JT - I guess it depends on the cold symptoms you have, but most of mine are primarily sinus congestion.  For that, I like running outside every day or at least getting a significant amount of time outside (super easy if I have to).  But that's because I'm often dealing with mild weather that's got a good amount of humidity.  Probably doesn't do the same if it's super cold and dry like what you probably get.  Also probably not great for you if it's in your lungs.

Regarding your race, I'm all for getting a smart race in, but be careful about setting the bar too low. You've been killing your workouts.  Your paces were about as fast as mine, and you managed to often get in 8+ miles in as opposed to 6 or less.  I think you're easily in shape for 1:20 or 1:21.  It'll be hard to get there though if you're limiting your mindset to a 1:23.

RE: morning runs.  Just to be clear, my alarm goes off at 4:30, that's not when I start my run! I like to chill a bit with coffee in bed before I eventually make my way out the door.  I usually start my run at 5:20.  And Lela, funny you mention the winter thing.  I was thinking this morning that there's no way I could do that if it was below freezing every morning.  In the summer though it's a huge help not having the sun up yet for almost the entire run.

Upcoming races: Boston

I will say not training for Boston in dead-winter is a plus I haven't experience in pretty much 12 years (I did start to train for Boston 2007 but enter the darkness known as overtraining). I don't think I've gotten out of bed before 6am in a long time. (And damn it's still dark until 630ish where I live poo). Being a Pfitz high mileage guy, those 2-a-week MLRs getting up at 5am where never fun! 

Though I have been strolling into work around 930am recently.

Did a Zwift double yesterday. Racing/hard efforts in Zwift really hurt (and sweat factory). I could feel the mornings workout in my quads. I would almost think a 40minute running race is easier than a 40 minute Zwift race.

This mornings run/zwift combo were so meh.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey:  And um, I meant to ask .. so how can you just nail a long run with significant MP at the end without having been running much! You suck!  Nice!

I’ve been spraying my legs with magnesium oil everyday this year. I think that must be it!

Lela - I liked the Fri/Sat speed/long run combo which I sometimes like doing....and a bit of 4% incline on the treadmill is tough even at 8 pace!

JT - Your training has been very impressive and I’d say run the first 10 miles at between 6:15/6:20 pace and if you still feel good then drop the hammer for the last 5k!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

joescott

pulling out of the influenza and sinus infection ditch.  more or less starting over.  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

weatherboy80

Sorry folks no bib just yet to post, but you can track on the Racejoy (mobile app).  Last name is "Dreher" and the race is the Town of Celebration Marathon.   Looks like my bib will be assigned on Friday if I had to guess.  That's what you get with a smaller race!  Weather might be a notch better than I posted about earlier this week with temps in the low to mid 60's to start, but the dew point looks to be a few degrees lower than earlier forecasted.  Still nowhere near ideal for a marathon, but I've dealt with worse here for sure.  Key will be finding the right adjusted pace early and sticking to a plan while hitting and dumping fluids often.  Course is somewhat of a double loop with a few exceptions near the half point so I'll likely have a few HM runners to pace with early on, but I'm guessing on the back half there won't be many folks to go with and I may end up running into slower HM's finishing up their race.  I've been told they try to clear the course (with bikes etc ...) for some of the faster FM runners though.

JT:  You're ready for a good HM.  Agree with Andres that you are in better shape than you indicate, but it really depends on the cold symptoms.  Either way looking at a solid PR!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Thanks for the votes of confidence Andres, Mikkey and Weatherboy. Rest assured that if I do run the race I will run my arse off and won't hold anything back!  The question is whether I get rid of this cold by then. Fingers crossed.

Weatherboy: Just looked at your marathon's website and looks like a beautiful course and a great race in general. A good venue for you to run a massive PR!

2:52:16 (2018)

kramrunner

Toledo week 3/16 
                M     00 09 00         1             tm sore foot
                        01 00 00       16.85        bike(u) w/ 7x 0.15@16 >100rpm
                T      00 30 00        7.25         bike(s)
                        00 36 27       10.0          bike(u)
                W    00 45 12        13.0         bike(u) w/ 4x moderate (14@90rpm)
                        00 49 31       13.0          bike(s) w/ 4x moderate (14@90rpm)
                Th    00 30 00        3.0          v. easy 9min no-go, 10min sore first mile ok once warmed up
                        00 45 18        12.25      bike(u) easy
                F      -- -- --              URD      life
                S      01 06 51        8.27        easy
                S      01 18 27        9.44        easy
                                              ====

When I posted last week I was all ready to get going. I had stepped in a snow covered pothole on my Sunday run but no real pain at the time or later that evening made me think that I'd gotten away with it... alas. Hence, I spent as much time as I could take trying to get some cardio in on the gym bikes, while my foot/ankle sorted themselves out. Luckily it was only a minor sprain, with most of the energy dumped into annoying my foot rather than the ankle ligaments. So, hopefully this is the week when 2018 starts. Had my first Q session this morn, felt pretty rubbish, but a good starting point.

I also binned 4 pairs of Sayonara 2s with 3500 miles on them this week. Out with them as I need another injury related thing like a hole in the head and talk of stress fractures has made me right paranoid. Bought a pair of NB Zante as they were on sale at RW to add to the rotation.

Dan: Congrats on the win and on getting guaranteed entry. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Mikey: Great week. You're really piling on the mileage. That Moose had better go into hiding at this rate. Top workout this morn too.

Weatherboy: Focus on what you can control. Regardless of the conditions and the resulting time, you've clearly made a significant jump this cycle and have something to build on come autumn to go well into the 2:40s.

JT: You sneaky sandbagger Wink

Swim: Great to read the rebuild is going to plan. I'd also say that you should try a longer race come summer too. Not necessarily to PR, but a hard run at whatever your fitness allows at the time. I suspect a successful HM for example will do wonders for your post injury confidence.

Paul: Solid week. How does tapering for a 100k compare to a marathon?

Andres: Ohhh, I hear you on those early morning thoughts. You just have to decide to do and then after a few weeks/months you get used to it. I've never come around to especially liking it, particularly in the winter... hence my tm love!

Lela: Nice job getting your mileage back up. I have to run in the morning as I find it far to easy to wiff on an evening session. Also, how do you find sleeping afterwards? I never sleep as good with an evening workout. I think it's half due to an excited nervous system etc., and half due to not being able to re-hydrate properly.

DCV: You'll surely have killer cardio if you can get the leg strength back up to put in the running mileage again.

Matt: Solid week. Seems like you are getting right into the teeth of your plan. Have fun!

Finbad: Fooking winter!

Cinnamon: Cheers for getting all our races up. Things are really getting exciting around here as spring season is in full session. Really nice mix of paces during the week.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

watsonc123

I find evening runs really good.  Although they are intense, then sleeping can be an issue.  Right now it almost all morning runs due to the very warm summer we are having.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

weatherboy80

Looks like I am Bib #163 for my race on Sunday.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

watsonc123

Typo previous post - IF they are intense...

Weather - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Run-in-HK

Is this the formal refuge for ex-RWOL forums? I saw there is a Strava group as well, but can’t see how active that is. I used to be active on the sub 2:45 thread; ran my last marathon (2:38) in 2015; got a stress fracture in my foot; retired for the 2nd time from running; and went cold turkey from running. I even bought a roadbike!

However recently decided on the comeback, and have just logged 1000km (625m) of easy running since I started recording distance again in November 2017. Entered the Amsterdam marathon to finally get that Moose mug in October 2018 (2:40 needed). The bike is gathering dust.

Hope to catch up w some familiar names and share training, as and when it becomes more interesting than just easy running.

Swim5599

Is this the formal refuge for ex-RWOL forums? I saw there is a Strava group as well, but can’t see how active that is. I used to be active on the sub 2:45 thread; ran my last marathon (2:38) in 2015; got a stress fracture in my foot; retired for the 2nd time from running; and went cold turkey from running. I even bought a roadbike!

However recently decided on the comeback, and have just logged 1000km (625m) of easy running since I started recording distance again in November 2017. Entered the Amsterdam marathon to finally get that Moose mug in October 2018 (2:40 needed). The bike is gathering dust.

Hope to catch up w some familiar names and share training, as and when it becomes more interesting than just easy running.

This guy is super legit.  Welcome back brother l.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

tn_weather

run-in-hk - You found us! Awesome. Good to see you on the comeback trail. My bike is gathering dust as well. lol

paul2432

Paul: Solid week. How does tapering for a 100k compare to a marathon?

Kram - For me marathon tapering is much more of a precision exercise.  For the 100K I don't really care about getting that last 1% of performance so I cut back enough so I feel fresh, but otherwise run more or less my regular routine.

Run-in-HK

Thanks for the welcome. I hope the comeback sticks; but I should be on another 65-75m week. It is all just slowish base building w the occasional fartlek so far. I just do a lot of shorter runs (3-4 doubles) just to get my mind and body ready for higher mileage later on. I also had my fair share of glute/hamstrung stuff, which I blamed on historic overuse; but strangely enough this goes away the more I run. I am looking forward to get into the Canova type madness again, once I have sufficient base and start a formal marathon cycle.