2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I mean at this point I'm just trolling you Cal by pointing out anytime someone uses speed and improves. Mainly because just running easy mileage would make me quit marathon running immediately as I cannot imagine anything more boring.

Also I think age grading is skewed towards older people for a lot of reasons. Your 2:48 is probably worth about 2:35 for me. I have a long way to go, but now I have a fun goal to go after over the next 18 months 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I mean at this point I'm just trolling you Cal by pointing out anytime someone uses speed and improves. Mainly because just running easy mileage would make me quit marathon running immediately as I cannot imagine anything more boring.

Did you hear word "meditation"? Do you have family, kids? How much of your free time belongs to you? Though I have "similar" to your problem with quitting marathon - too much speed makes me quit training too - but for different reason Smile

And I am OK with trolling - do it all the time to my wife Smile

Also I think age grading is skewed towards older people for a lot of reasons. Your 2:48 is probably worth about 2:35 for me. I have a long way to go, but now I have a fun goal to go after over the next 18 months 

Ha... You think it's skewed? Ok... How many people of your age do you think ran 2:46? And now, how many people of 50 yo do you think ran 2:48? In my pretty populated area I can name them personally Smile So, you think it's still skewed?

Just checked Age Graded calculators - 2:48:35 at 50yo is 2:31:04 at your age. So, yes, train harder Smile That actually means, though you are faster than me in absolute numbers, AG time gives me such a leverage in trolling you young guns - even if you don't think so Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's skewed in the sense that it's not actually about physical ability but rather for the reasons you stated: there aren't a lot of guys running those times. Obviously there will be a huge pool of people running 2:46 at my age.

Guys who are 50 have a much more difficult time getting out there to train for 70+ MPW for many reasons: family, health, motivation when your times are declining, etc. There's no question on that. It's much easier for me as a 31 year old male with no children to train. However, for exactly those reasons, the AG times are skewed. Put another way, the difference between a 31 year old and 48 year old physically is not 2:48 vs 2:31 in your calculation. It's closer to 2:35 as I stated. The extra 4 minutes are those extraneous reasons that lead to a lower pool of people willing to train for world record times.

Look, I love that the AG times are going to give me a reason to keep running as I get older. But they're not exactly perfect science, and they're certainly not perfect science for guys like us who got started later in life in a distance that specifically benefits older groups. I don't think anyone who is 50 can look at their AG time of 2:31 and think "I could have run that when I was younger." Additionally, I bet you that you will find running a 2:55 much easier at 55 than you found running a 2:48 at 50.

Now that I've said all of this, I expect to incur the wrath of Mikkey and Piwi as well, although Cal called me out on my slow time compared to him so I had to get this out there 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I don't think anyone who is 50 can look at their AG time of 2:31 and think "I could have run that when I was younger." 

Getting older sucks... But one thing is advantageous to it is to know to never put your thoughts into some other person head - that's not how it works Smile But seriously man - that is exactly what I think when I look at 2:31 and thinking about me being 30 yo. It hurts actually when I think about it. But it hurts about quite a few things I did and didn't when I was in my 20s and 30s.

Additionally, I bet you that you will find running a 2:55 much easier at 55 than you found running a 2:48 at 50. 

My god JMac... This is so funny to hear from 31 yo. But just for a record - it was much harder for me to run 2:58 at 48 yo than 2:48 at 50. Does it prove anything?

It just so interesting to hear that the main reason for not so many 50 yo people running is family and kids. Though many will argue with that because for many if not for the most kids come in their 30s and by their 50s kids are out in the college (not my case - I have 4 yo in the house and so happy with that fact) and people suddenly have too much spare time. Don't you think it's strange those 50 yo don't go and train and run? Man... Your views will change with years but I am not telling you that - I found a hard way that younger guys do not like hear all that "old farts" stuff - they think their life is unique and will be different. And that's exactly what I thought when I was their age too. That's why I do not blame them... Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

steve_

powered by plants

Good discussion here.  Just to be clear, regarding my training and it's change over the past year or so.  I would never say that I was purely a mileage junkie that eschewed every form of workout.  I certainly did workouts.  Like Cal said, my good race wasn't solely because I started doing workouts, but because I already had thousands of miles in my legs from the past years.  I'm still going to run over 4000 miles this year which is an all-time high for a calendar year.

What changed? 1. Every long run included quality sections usually late on. 2 I did strides at least once a week. 3. Every Tuesday or Wednesday was a workout (fartlek, tempo, long interval). I didn't step on the track once.  I only did 400s twice; once in the middle of a 20 miler, once at the end.

I still think that MOST runners would benefit from adding more mileage before adding quality.  Remember folks, I was posting on RWOL in 2007 when I followed Pfitz to run 2:58.  I was running those crazy long tempos, those MP runs, those intervals.  I wish I had just started pounding out 90 mile weeks then, I'd have run 2:54 years ago.

Also, learning to fuel on the run during the marathon was the biggest factor.  I can't imagine running another marathon without a bottle for the middle 12 miles.  I ran Boston this year not eating or drinking anything but the rain.  Crazy to imagine doing that again.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

steve_

powered by plants

Man... Your views will change with years but I am not telling you that - I found a hard way that younger guys do not like hear all that "old farts" stuff - they think their life is unique and will be different. And that's exactly what I thought when I was their age too. That's why I do not blame them... Smile

remember saying "when I'm 40..."  It feels like yesterday.  Keep in mind, at 31, his life hasn't started to speed by the way it does for us now.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

finbad

Kram- what's your PF therapy look like? I'm doing heel dips, rolling calfs, hockey ball under the heel and rolling foot on a frozen water bottle a couple of times daily and using comfy shoes (nb 1800) for easy runs. I find I still have a few spare minutes each day so happy to incorporate anything else that might help 

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Don't you think it's strange those 50 yo don't go and train and run? Man... Your views will change with years but I am not telling you that - I found a hard way that younger guys do not like hear all that "old farts" stuff - they think their life is unique and will be different. And that's exactly what I thought when I was their age too. That's why I do not blame them... Smile

I didn't fully understand this, but in no way shape or form did I say anything about somehow my life will be different. If anything, I doubt that I will be running anything close to what you guys are running. I know you don't like to hear all the good mopey stuff or whatever, but the work that I've seen from Mikkey and Piwi over the last 2 years since I joined RWOL has inspired me more than anything some 25 year old brags about over on LRC.

I want to make this clear in no way was this a "young guy vs old guy discussion," it just came about because you specifically called me out by using an Age Graded time to claim that I need to run a 2:31 in order to be "even" with you, even if it was in jest.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Finbad - I forgot to mention to you, hangover runs are my favorite. Never raced before, but nothing cures a hangover faster for me than running and sweating it out. Of course I don't think that when I start the run, but it always works out.

steve_