2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My point was more around Piwi’s point that the best marathon runners in the world drop the sport once they can’t win anymore, which leads to skewing in the AG times, that’s all. Kipchoge isn’t going to keep running into his 50s. And by slight bias I really meant just that: just a couple of minutes. I didn’t say it was completely useless. I was just saying that specifically because Cal decided to use it to put me in my place. Cal - we’re not competing in times on this board, no need to bring in your time vs mine when we’re debating training techniques to put me down. I’m leaving it at that, I was just defending myself, and I’m not talking about age grading anymore before I find a swarm of 50 year olds attacking me at my next race.

Mikkey - no doubt you could have run sub 2:35 and probably sub 2:30 with your talent and dedication. I think that’s a theme on this board: a lot of guys started running too late in life. Luckily I started in my late 20’s, which is giving me a shot at getting some good numbers, but even that is too late. I personally don’t think I’ll get to a moose mug (even 2:33 in the coming years seems impossible), but I bet most of the guys in this forum had a shot at sub 2:30 if they stuck with running in high school and college, especially the higher mileage guys. We can’t really think about what could have been though imo, just go out there and run the best time you can. For the record, you’re in better shape than me, not denying that .

Piwi - What have you tried for your calf problems? I think you said you roll it, but what about compression socks? Any strengthening/stretching exercises (I personally think stretching is useless but I know a lot of people like it). I feel like there has to be something we can do to help you out, even if it’s always going to be a tender spot. Also, is it always the same leg, or do both calves act up?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - forgot to add, remember when you said this board was dead? It ain’t dead anymore.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - You are 31yo and ran 2:46 at NYC....which deserves a golf clap.

I want to see Sub 2:40 at Boston and then Sub 2:35 at CIM from you next year....and no excuses.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I did just order a pair of Vaporflys, so that's gotta be worth like 3 minutes right??

In all seriousness I'm not sure how I'll like them given the high heel to toe drop, but seems most guys like me who run in low drop shoes said they didn't notice a difference.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m patiently waiting for Cal to say that he bought the 4% shoes...it’s just a matter of time.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

The "I could've run a 2:30 at 30" argument is about as legitimate as a "I could've gotten a PhD from Stanford if I spent a little more time on my homework instead of partying with friends" argument. Both are bullshit and only look at raw ability, which is somewhat worthless. What you manage to do with that ability at the right moment matters a lot more. Like finding a way to run awesome marathon times at 50+.

The Steve - makes sense what you're saying about not giving up a season. I get frustrated having to pass on a fun race because I need to slog through a 20miler. Regarding finding a half, I'm sure you know this, but I find the level of runners helps a lot too, in addition to course and weather. That's why I like Houston. I generally have 30 or so runners finishing within a minute of me. And the first 8 miles are filled with sub elite women running the full aiming for an Olympic trials qualifier. Passing and being passed helps keep the intensity high.

JMac- find a way to add in some pre race espressos with those shoes and you will be good to go for sub 2:35 .

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The "I could've run a 2:30 at 30" argument is about as legitimate as a "I could've gotten a PhD from Stanford if I spent a little more time on my homework instead of partying with friends" argument. Both are bullshit and only look at raw ability, which is somewhat worthless. What you manage to do with that ability at the right moment matters a lot more. Like finding a way to run awesome marathon times at 50+.

Seriously???  Maybe you’ll think differently when you get older when the body takes more time to heal. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you hit 50. 👍

Andres1045

Seriously???  Maybe you’ll think differently when you get older when the body takes more time to heal. You’ll know what I’m talking about when you hit 50. 👍

Seriously. No matter how awesome of a runner you are, you wouldn't have run a 2:30 at 30 without putting some amount of dedication or effort in to it. You probably would've needed a level equivalent to what you do now. You didn't.

I put significantly less time in to this than most (probably because I'm not ancient like you guys), but even the level I put in now would've been impossible with where my priorities were in my late 20s. Dedicating the time to this became a lot easier when my lifestyle changed and I had 3 kids under 3 at home.

And by the way, if I'm running sub 3:30s in 10years I'll be shocked. Feel free to read what I said as an insult, but it's not.

Andres1045

Another way of thinking about it: what if a 30yo tennis player came on here and said, I'm not a runner, but if I wanted to be, I'd run a 2:30 marathon. Even if you believed him, wouldn't you think that's kind of a worthless point of view?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Seriously. No matter how awesome of a runner you are, you wouldn't have run a 2:30 at 30 without putting some amount of dedication or effort in to it. You probably would've needed a level equivalent to what you do now. You didn't.

I put significantly less time in to this than most (probably because I'm not ancient like you guys), but even the level I put in now would've been impossible with where my priorities were in my late 20s. Dedicating the time to this became a lot easier when my lifestyle changed and I had 3 kids under 3 at home.

And by the way, if I'm running sub 3:30s in 10years I'll be shocked. Feel free to read what I said as an insult, but it's not.

If I was dedicated to running at a young age I’m pretty sure I’d have a Sub2:30 marathon. next year and I’m done¿

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyway Andres, I hope you can still join Piwi and myself at Brighton marathon next a

April.👍

Andres1045

I hope so too. And once you get your 2:49 there, you'll at least one more year to beat Cal's PR. You won't quit!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I hope so too. And once you get your 2:49 there, you'll at least one more year to beat Cal's PR. You won't quit!

I keep dreaming..,and I KNOW that I can run 2:49 next year if everything is perfect. 👍

CalBears

I keep dreaming..,and I KNOW that I can run 2:49 next year if everything is perfect. 👍

And it still will be a minute shy... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

weatherboy80

Good discussion guys!  I'll have to go back and read a bit more since I skipped through the last 2-3 pages due to time, but I wanted to  respond to JMac on getting up to the mid 80's (or higher) with Daniels.  It is hard to see since sometimes I break a LR into multiple runs on strava (e.g. warm up, Q, cool down) so it looks like more doubles than I really run in a typical week.  For most of the late summer (and even going back through my last marathon cycle) I would get up to 80-90 miles with just 1 or 2 double per week.  Think though last week (86 miles total) I ran 2 doubles (one on Monday and another on Thus) which were both the day (or two) after a Q day.  Even for this week (2+ weeks out from my goal race) I'm still on target to hit 75-80 with only one double.

For example, a recent week around 80 or so typically looks like this:

Monday: AM 8-10 EZ, Monday PM 4-5 EZ

Tuesday: 10-12 EZ + strides

Wed: AM Q1 with lots of warm up and cool down miles.  This day can be up to 16+ miles during marathon training.  Sometimes I'll add an optional 4-5 PM EZ for another double.

Thurs:  10-12 EZ

Friday: 8-12 EZ + strides

Sat: AM Q2 14-16 - LR with some mixture of tempo)

Sun 5-7 Recovery (although I often swap Sat/Sun)

I think at least 70-75 of my miles comes from single run efforts. The bread and butter mileage has been the consistent 10-12+ mile EZ (sometime sluggish) efforts to build up the volume mostly on a Tues or Thursday.  I've tried to run that distance pretty much all summer on those days if I look back through my log.  And every once and a while I get carried away and sneak in a progression or some other semi-quality day, but whose counting Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)