2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Andres1045

Unfortunately I wasn’t in 2:55 shape when I ran NYC (1:26 tune up half the month before)....compared to earlier that year (1:23 half the month before a 2:51). I reckon for a 3 hour marathoner it’s about 2min slower assuming you don’t go out too fast. As Steve said it’s really only QB bridge and 5th Avenue. Also you’ve got the big vibe at NYC which counts for something compared to running a flat course with no atmosphere or crowd support.

Two minutes sounds about right, although I can't really say from experience since I wasn't in shape or ready to run a marathon two weeks ago. But I do believe the timing and the intensity of the hard parts to be a factor. Barcelona has about the same gain, yet almost all of it is in the first 10 miles, and it's all gradual. No one calls Barcelona a tough course.

Upcoming races: Boston

steve_

powered by plants

That's just my opinion Steve, that it's worth 3-4 minutes. It's based on all the people who have run it that I follow; they always run slower there than they do on flatter courses, and usually significantly slower. Mikey ran a 2:59 there off of a cycle that indicated 2:55 or better fitness (again, in my opinion), also the same for Flyrunner who did a 2.58 I think and was clearly in 2:55 or better shape.

Obviously it's just your opinion, but I'm trying to figure what that's based on.  3-4 minutes (for a 3 hour-ish marathon) is an enormous amount of time and I feel like people throw it around like nothing.  I don't know a single person who felt they had a strong race in NYC and ran 3-4 minutes slower than their fitness indicated.  I know plenty of folks (myself included) who get caught up in the crowds and excitement in Brooklyn and hobble home with a 10+ minute positive split, but that doesn't mean it's that much slower of a course. The majority of folks I know (and yes, it is skewed because I live here) have run their PRs at NYC and it's not like it's the only course they've done.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

Andres1045

Obviously it's just your opinion, but I'm trying to figure what that's based on.  3-4 minutes (for a 3 hour-ish marathon) is an enormous amount of time and I feel like people throw it around like nothing.  I don't know a single person who felt they had a strong race in NYC and ran 3-4 minutes slower than their fitness indicated.  I know plenty of folks (myself included) who get caught up in the crowds and excitement in Brooklyn and hobble home with a 10+ minute positive split, but that doesn't mean it's that much slower of a course. The majority of folks I know (and yes, it is skewed because I live here) have run their PRs at NYC and it's not like it's the only course they've done.

I had two friends run PRs there two weeks ago, when the week before their plan was to use it as a training run. One of the two had run a PR half the Sunday before. They decided to go for it because the weather was awesome.

Upcoming races: Boston

steve_

powered by plants

I had two friends run PRs there two weeks ago, when the week before their plan was to use it as a training run. One of the two had run a PR half the Sunday before. They decided to go for it because the weather was awesome.

I'm sure they're both kicking themselves for not signing up for Philly tomorrow and running 3-4 minutes faster.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

The typical NYC winning times (2:09-ish for men and 2:25-ish for women) are significantly slower than flat majors.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think it’s probably in the 2-3 minute range, although it depends how prepared you are for the bridges/hills. The entire disaster that is known as the start village doesn’t help though, especially when you have to stand around in the corral/bridge for 40 minutes before you start, but that probably cancels out with the crowd support.

All of this talk of getting near 2:30 is great, but let’s take this one step at a time. We need a few more guys going sub 2:40.

Who right now in this thread is signed up for Boston? Curious who else is going to join me on a perfect weather day in April.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

JMac: I'll be there god willing Smile  Don't exactly know where my fitness will be come Feb and Mar, but I'm hoping I continue my current trend and target something in the 2:40-2:45 (weather dependent) range.   We'll see what kind of HM I can throw down in a few weeks as a benchmark to kick off a Boston cycle.  Plus if we have a few more guys in that range here it might be fun/worthwhile to try and work together.  Just a thought, but we are a long way off at this point!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh yeah we are way off from that race (I need my foot to heal for one, and also to get off my ass and start running again after a whopping 6 total miles since my marathon), but it would be really cool if we got a few guys that have a great cycle and can shoot for something like low 2:40s (or even 2:39???).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

steve_