2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

CalBears

Yeah...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

finbad

JMac: I'll be there god willing Smile  Don't exactly know where my fitness will be come Feb and Mar, but I'm hoping I continue my current trend and target something in the 2:40-2:45 (weather dependent) range.   We'll see what kind of HM I can throw down in a few weeks as a benchmark to kick off a Boston cycle.  Plus if we have a few more guys in that range here it might be fun/worthwhile to try and work together.  Just a thought, but we are a long way off at this point!

Ill be there too and if I can pull together a plausible Jan-Mar I'm game for attempting 2:40. Weatherboy will be too, he's just playing it cool.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

finbad

Steve- I decide to just go and get some orthotics and they've worked like a charm. Thanks man.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

kramrunner

v02 block: w1/6
          M     00 44 30        5.22
          T      00 56 51        6.26
          W     00 55 53        6        tm w/ 3wu + v02 work + 1cd, 0.5%   as 200/200/200/800/600/800/400/200/200    6,8s@5:27pace, 2/4s@5:00pace
          Th    -- -- --             URD  laziness
          F      00 57 01        6.65
          S      01 19 21       10.48
          S      00 10 31        1.33 wu
                  00 17 35         5k    PR, 3rd AO - 5:39/mile
                   00 16 44        1.94 cd
                                         ====

Felt back to normal this week, so I brought forward my planned v02 block and began this week. Some 400/800 work mid-week felt fine to start things off and then I jumped into a flat 5k this morn for a new PR, which was a given as my old one was soft. 17:32 gives me a good launch point to start the block and my hope is to be able to challenge sub17 in 4-6 weeks.

Finbad: Good to hear you've found a solution to the PF nonsense.

Madison: Wow, coming off that injury, your performance is getting better and better. I hope you've been able to look at the letsrun thread from earlier, so you can see what it takes. You should be able to have a really good go at it, fingers crossed!

Weather: Yup, some of the performances over there really ram home what is possible. While I can get envision getting down to those paces, I'm pretty certain my ankles etc., wouldn't be up to the volume required. I do like to look at that thread though as seeing real people (jobs/family etc) execute some stuff that's just out of reach is great motivation... much like the old rwol sub250 thread when I was aiming for sub3 years back.

Great to have lots of debate around here as we all mentally prepare to be awed (age graded, of course) by Cal and then ready ourselves for 2019. Count me in for the 2:40 talk or the aim for some something with proper blow-up potential!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Madison: Agree with Kram; the fact you had a fracture and only started back running in April makes your recent races even more impressive. And bodes well for big improvements next year.

Kram: Congrats on the PR! It will be exciting to see your speed training and where you end up with it 5k-10k-wise. Great way to start towards your spring marathon cycle.

More easy running this week for me, ramping mileage up bit by bit. HR is starting to creep down to normal range, and hopefully I can get back to some quality soon.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Nov 12, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 18, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
            Tue 5.2 8:37 Morning Run on TM 0 strava
            Wed 8.3 8:12 Morning Run 558 strava
            Thu 10.1 8:36 Morning Run 610 strava
            Fri 12.3 8:09 Morning Run on TM w/ 1 fast mile 0 strava
            Sat 10.1 8:16 Morning Run 616 strava
            Sun 16.1 8:09 Long run 1002 strava
              62.1 8:18   2786  

2:52:16 (2018)

slingrunner

Was out of town this weekend, but was watching my local race (Philly marathon).  Did anybody else see that the woman that set a course record and won had a pacer with her for at least many of the last few miles?  The pacer didn't have a noticeable bib.  Thoughts on that?  She beat the 2nd place woman by something like 25 minutes I think.  The coverage of the Philly marathon always has me embarrassed to have it as my local race.  The men's finish was pretty close, but they didn't even mention who won the race as he finished or after (I think they last said who the top two were at mile 25).  All they seemed to care about was that it was a course record.

I am running Boston, and probably wearing vaporfly.  Certainly not running any 2:40.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Kram awesome job on that 5k thats speedy for sure.

Mikey congrats on your sub 38 10k on strava. You have a good jump on me now !

Cal sorry about all that fire disaster stuff going on in California. They are so hard to contain no matter how much money etc. Training in a freakin mask sounds tough.

Reeves nice base building week.

Im still on the bench with my calf strain. I want to be healthy by dec 10th when my 18 week pfitz cycle starts.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

kram - 17:35 5K just like nothing Sad Even if I have my best training cycle ever I will not be able to beat that. Nice and speedy.

JTReeves - good base building week.

sling - I actually do not care about the pacer - though, I guess if the pacers are prohibited, she should be disqualified, if not - then why not?

Piwi - hope your half will behave and you have a cycle and beat Mikkey - though, if you are not running in Vaporflys, you probably don't have a chance Smile As for containing a fire - you are right, when it's becomes big fire it's hard to contain. The story developing here is very interesting - looks like local Californian utility company (PG&E) somehow involved in the root of the fire that happened and many others. It's not proven yet but basically they have high voltage lines that go through untreated, very dry forest areas and any fire issues with those lines causes the dry, unremoved trees and stuff to become a huge fire that goes big quickly - especially when there is a strong wind. Basically they just ready to collect money but not ready to make their equipment and surrounding safer. Looks like they are looking for billions in damages...

My week was all on TM - due to totally hazardous air quality, all the slow runs I wore N95 mask - faster runs I have to remove it as it was impossible to breathe and run Smile

Mon - AM: 10.1 @9:23   PM: 6.3 @9:33

Tue  - AM: 6:3 @9:27     PM: 7.8 @9:22

Wed - AM: 11.1 @9:23   PM: 5.1 @9:21

Thu - AM:  11.1 @8:43   PM: 5.1 @9:19

Fri -   AM:  12.1 @8:01   PM: 5.1 @9:23

Sat - 10.1 @9:37

Sun - 21.21 @8:51

Total: 111.5 mi

The weather forecast for CIM is getting worse than it looked before - only 2 or 3 days of showers before the marathon date - not sure it will be enough to clear the air and let authorities run the event. This air situation is actually hard to bear psychologically/mentally, not only physically.

And no, I am not going to run Boston next year and year 2020. Planning to run in 2021. No goal set for 2021 yet Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

finbad

Kram and Mikkey - nice racing. Mikkey my ambition next year is to get a >80 age grading at something.

Cal - that week proves that you're the king of the mental game anyway. That is quite a long time to be on a treadmill

JT - look like it's starting to come together

my week: nursing PF annoyance most of the week but did do a nice 6x1200 @ <4min session then got some orthotic inserts on saturday and had a nice 12 mile pain-free run last night. Going to wear the inserts for work as well right now and gradually phase them out if I can.

Swim5599

Kram and mikkey nice races.  Great time of year to race.

Cal great week on the mill there sir

jt no need to rush the quality just let the body fully recover

me 94.5 this week battling a cold but got through it

mon 10 8:35

tue 10 with strides 8:31

wed 10.5 with 40 min a mp power 6:23

thurs 10 8:37

fri AM 10.25 with 40 min mp power 6:23

PM 11.75 with 7x5:30 at Threshold power 5:45

sun 10 with strides 8:37

Sun 22 with 60 min at MP power 6:17

the hays in the barn

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Pretty awesome all the 2:40 talk. I just need to get my foot healed up and I'm in!

JT - Have you decided on your spring racing schedule? I bet you could start running some local 5Ks/10Ks in Jan/Feb and then get a good half in during March or April.

Cal - What's with all the .1 to end your runs? Do you just get to a distance and then say "I'm going to give it another tenth of a mile?" 

Fin - Who did you go see to get those inserts? Trying to figure out my plan for foot pain as well as my foot is so tender after every run that I can't see how this will heal on it's own as I increasing miles. Or did you just get them over the counter?

Swim - You getting back on Strava or are you officially done with it?

Sling - How's your foot doing? I went out for 7.5 miles yesterday and although it was okay during the run, it gets so tender right after. I'm a little worried about whether I can really start ramping up training. I'm going to try to get back to something reasonable like 35 miles the week but even that amount may be too much. I hate that it's so hard to know who to go to for this stuff, I hope I fund a good podiatrist like Andres did. The metatarsal pads definitely make my feet feel better day to day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

steve_