2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

slingrunner

JMac- Sorry you are still banged up.  The pattern definitely seems to be the same for both of us that we are OK during runs, but afterward is bad (for me the next day).  I still haven't run since my race, but I was in NYC this weekend and wound up walking about 17 miles, much of it uncomfortably.  I've been using some DIY pads, but I ordered some sturdier ones that arrived today that I'll try.  I may try my first recovery run tomorrow. I've also been trying to ice it and take some anti-inflammatories.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Cal: I hope you get a deluge of rain soon. Incredible week there, to do most of that wearing a mask is hard to imagine.

Swim: Good to get that cold out of the way now before the race.

Piwi: You should be good to go by Dec 10, just nice and slow miles and no big hills should help the calf along.

Finbad: Glad the PF is under control.

JMac: Still have to decide on a spring marathon. I'm trying to find the flattest possible one in the general northeast area. New Jersey looks nice and flat but I'm worried it will be warm and/or windy. Could do Martian again, since I was 1st Master I get free entry to it but I'd like to branch out to a new course. Suggestions for flat fast spring marathons are welcome.   BTW, hope the foot gets better.

Weather: You get the workout of the week award; the 7 x 1 mile was insane! The Sunday one was also great stuff. Seems like you're reaching a new level now. Looking forward to seeing how you do in the half.

Mikey: Nice 10k!

2:52:16 (2018)

kramrunner

Jmac: No idea what your insurance situation is, but given your current level of fitness it would be a real shame if you had to take time off due to not getting this properly looked at. I'd be hitting up my doc pronto for a referral to a professional, just in case it's a fracture or some such.

Weather: Great final set of work outs. I'd do the final mile of the 3x1 at T-10s. Just to freshen up the pain receptors but not go anywhere deep.

Steve: Straight back at it. I'll try hit 50 something this way and look to inch back up. Great for you that you can have mileage back up that high straight away, as I'm always in the need of a break after marathon training.

Swim: Lots of great work in there. Hope the first week of taper is good and horrible so that you get a great bounce back to go into race day raring to go! Btw, how do you calculate marathon power and how often do you update that? Or is it a fairly static thing like Vo2max?

Cal: Epic week. You are more than making up for the lack of quality with a massive amount of solid aerobic work. Wishing some rain your way. It's so ominous how slowly the numbers from Paradise are coming out 

Mikkey: Zoom, zoom. Great stuff auld fella!

JT: Steadily getting back at it. Great to see.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

steve_

powered by plants

fri AM 10.25 with 40 min mp power 6:23

PM 11.75 with 7x5:30 at Threshold power 5:45

Swim, I just noticed this.  2 workouts in one day?  Why?

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

Swim5599

Jmac: No idea what your insurance situation is, but given your current level of fitness it would be a real shame if you had to take time off due to not getting this properly looked at. I'd be hitting up my doc pronto for a referral to a professional, just in case it's a fracture or some such.

Weather: Great final set of work outs. I'd do the final mile of the 3x1 at T-10s. Just to freshen up the pain receptors but not go anywhere deep.

Steve: Straight back at it. I'll try hit 50 something this way and look to inch back up. Great for you that you can have mileage back up that high straight away, as I'm always in the need of a break after marathon training.

Swim: Lots of great work in there. Hope the first week of taper is good and horrible so that you get a great bounce back to go into race day raring to go! Btw, how do you calculate marathon power and how often do you update that? Or is it a fairly static thing like Vo2max?

Cal: Epic week. You are more than making up for the lack of quality with a massive amount of solid aerobic work. Wishing some rain your way. It's so ominous how slowly the numbers from Paradise are coming out 

Mikkey: Zoom, zoom. Great stuff auld fella!

JT: Steadily getting back at it. Great to see.

I do updated power tests every 4 or 5 weeks to see what functional threshold power is and then the scale slides if it’s improved

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Swim5599

Swim, I just noticed this.  2 workouts in one day?  Why?

I’ve basically doubled like this twice a week for 16 weeks.  Adds up to roughly 5 quality based sessions a week give or take. I’ve never felt fitter or stronger

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Regarding my foot, I have a couple of friends who are doctors and they recommended more of a foot/ankle MD than a podiatrist. Will probably squeeze in an appointment before the end of the year (gotta take advantage of that deductible that's been hit!) if it's still bothering me over the next week.

I'm amazed at how sore I can get coming back. I did 7.5 miles 2 days ago and my legs are so sore. Time to ease back into it though, not going to go crazy (not sure how some of you guys are running 16+ mile long runs less than 14 days after your race).

Swim - I remember from your mile training that your fitness can get crazy good.

Sling - Good luck. The pads do help. Icing does as well. I'll let you know if I do end up scheduling an appointment, maybe I'll learn something in the process.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My week..

Mon - 4.7 @ 9:04

Wed - 4.1 @ 8:37

Sun - 6.2 @ 6:04

Total - 15

Both Mon/Wed workouts I could still feel discomfort in the hamstring (Wed was worse) so I’d pretty much decided to DNS. Then on Sat afternoon when taking Pickle for walkies my legs felt really good and fresh, so I decided to give it a shot seeing as it’s the biggest and most competitive 10k of the year in Brighton.

Weather was a bit windy (16mph) but cool and sunny so couldn’t complain. I decided to just keep as relaxed as possible and not force the pace or look at my Garmin too much. I ran the 1st mile in 6:04 and it felt effortless and next one in 5:59...then the turnaround into the cross/headwind...3rd mile in 5:52...Really???....got to 5k in 18:38 and still felt pretty good and relaxed. Mile 4 in 6:01 and suddenly I started to feel....not so good. As I approached the 8km marker I thought I was going to be sick, but was still doing ok and knew that the turnaround into cross/tailwind was at 8.5km. Mile 5 in 6:10 and hit the 9km marker in exactly 34min, meaning that I only had to run faster than 6:26 pace to get under 38. Then I felt the same sudden twinge in my hamstring again, but decided to keep going as I could see the finish line...mile 6 in 6:14 for a 37:53. 153rd OA out of 1996 runners, 5th AG out of 239.

Hammy is back to how it was 10 days ago, no pain when walking, niggle when jogging and a no no to any faster paced running. My fault for backing off the strength training over the last couple of months. My PT told me earlier in the year that my butt and hamstrings are the weakest link...so my priority now is to get back into the gym and strengthen my core/legs as I don’t want another year of injuries!

I decided to run in the Vaporflys and they did feel good, but I’ve had a mild ache an inch or 2 above/slightly behind the outside of my ankles which isn’t normally an issue. Not a big deal, but it could be at a longer distance!

Kram - Wow, your PRs are old and you rarely race so I had no idea you were so speedy! Really impressed with that time and you’ve only just started your speed training! Great job. 👍

Piwi - Hope the calf starts feeling better, but I wouldn’t stress about starting your cycle at an exact date...maybe keep to easy running/basebuilding and start a shorter cycle in Jan. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

but decided to keep going as I could see the finish line...mile 6 in 6:14 for a 37:53. 153rd OA out of 1996 runners, 5th AG out of 239.

I decided to run in the Vaporflys and they did feel good, but I’ve had a mild ache an inch or 2 above/slightly behind the outside of my ankles which isn’t normally an issue. Not a big deal, but it could be at a longer distance!

I actually thought you beat my PR of 37:47 but - not   But you still have faster times in all the distances but one - and with this kind of speed you have at the moment, some mileage and magic of bright orange/crimson shoes it's possible you can beat the most important distance PR too. And it will be even more impressive as you will do it at the age of 52, not 50. Good luck with that! Still - really really impressive time - there is no way in the world I could get to that time anymore (but now when I am thinking about some special shoes....  - so, you think CIM is a cheater course and Vaporflys not? Smile )  In any case - big congrats! And heal that hamstring. But maybe don't be in a hurry - your competition still not over his calf issue...

Speaking about Vaporflys - I read some review from couple of doctors - runners - they mention a few possible bio-mechanical issues with the shoe - but the fact still is - so many people got their PRs with these shoes -

Shoes review

Btw, somebody mentioned some 46 yo who ran Chicago in 2:30 - I didn't even need to go and check what shoes he ran in Smile But, need to say, the same guy ran 2:30 3 years earlier (when he was 43).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal (my favourite Russian!) my 10k PR is 36:52 which happened during the middle of a 400 mile month in July 2011 with no speedwork. Great times when I was only 45yo. 😃

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Swim - You getting back on Strava or are you officially done with it?

Maybe he’s doing ok without Strava and kudos?

kramrunner

Unpossible!

Now get back to your workouts... Legs Bums Tums at PureGym with Lara George or Charles double-barrel should get you back in shape 

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

CalBears

Cal (my favourite Russian!) my 10k PR is 36:52 which happened during the middle of a 400 mile month in July 2011 with no speedwork. Great times when I was only 45yo. 😃

At 45yo I was probably in 64 minutes shape for 10K Smile

btw Mikkey - when you call me "my favorite - you know the correct writing is favorite, right? - Russian", you are not afraid, like all British people, I will use "Novichok" on you?  - like all Russians do to their British comrades according to the press...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I know you're anti-Strava for the "look at me" culture it can produce, but I find it a lot easier to track people's workouts and overall structure than what people post here. It's easier to see the paces people are running, rest, etc. vs what's posted here. I know a lot of people are the other way around in that they find the weeklies posted here easier.

Also, crazy good 10K, congrats!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)