2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

I must admit that I view people differently from here to Strava where I get more of a sense of where they live, what they look like, who they run with etc.

Mikkey that 10k description sounds pretty perfect as the pain cave sets in at mile 4. I guess Im freaking a bit that my base is not great after stuttering through the last 4 years and I dont want to put up a bad performance.

Cal you probably already know but American/English spelling of some words is different like color/colour favorite/favourite etc. 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Cal you probably already know but American/English spelling of some words is different like color/colour favorite/favourite etc. 

Oh my god Piwi - now finally I see you really think I am stupid! 

FYI - in Russian schools they teach you British English.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikey: Nice race recap, and great placement. Good idea to hit the weights now!

Cal: Are you waiting till 2021 Boston to be in the next AG?

New world best for 15k: 41:05 

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9115600

2:52:16 (2018)

Reeves I saw that race on youtube crazy fast.

Cal ha sorry the jokes on me then. I know you are super clever.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Cal: Are you waiting till 2021 Boston to be in the next AG?

Yes.

New world best for 15k: 41:05 

Vaporfly?

Cal ha sorry the jokes on me then. I know you are super clever.

I am definitely not clever - as the saying goes: If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich? 

Vaporfly?

It does look like he's wearing Vaporflys in the picture. A very distinct color to those things.

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

It does look like he's wearing Vaporflys in the picture. A very distinct color to those things.

Definitely used Crayons to change the color...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

At 45yo I was probably in 64 minutes shape for 10K Smile

btw Mikkey - when you call me "my favorite - you know the correct writing is favorite, right? - Russian", you are not afraid, like all British people, I will use "Novichok" on you?  - like all Russians do to their British comrades according to the press...

I’m only nice to you because I’m scared of you. Yes, reading the British press has made me scared of all Russians! 👻

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

finbad

Fin - Who did you go see to get those inserts? Trying to figure out my plan for foot pain as well as my foot is so tender after every run that I can't see how this will heal on it's own as I increasing miles. Or did you just get them over the counter?

Just went for the £5 from Amazon option  They don't fit equally well in all trainers but have definitely helped

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

mt79

madison - Really strong sub 2:40 performance on a challenging course.  Way to hang on for 10 miles at the end by yourself.  I dislike courses where you share a section with slower runners from another event.

slingrunner - Great job going for it.  The race itself is a great training effort.  I agree with others here that you should get back in the saddle and really train for Boston.  It gives you some advantages.  The cooler weather should make training outside easier and especially your treadmill sessions if you let some cold air in while you are running.  Boston is a faster course by 41 seconds according to the marathon comparison site.  You should also have a lot more people running right at the 3 hour mark where you can tuck in behind and enjoy a break from wind and not have to think hard about your pace.

BGS - Tough race.  Bad days are part of sports.  It makes the good days more satisfying.

squirrel - "I ran the marathon of my life." - Congrats!  You crushed that last 10k.  Great race report.  You need to work on your stealth passing skills at the finish line.  I don't know what the percentages are, but the majority of marathoners are going backwards fast in the last 5-10 miles.  My last marathon was ~30,000 people, I ran only a 3:09 and I was passed by roughly 2 runners in the last 1/2 marathon.  I was passing people non stop and this was with a positive split.  At 6:39 pace for your last 10k, you were probably just destroying the field.  Are you thinking of trying to lower your 5k/10k times from 2014 in the nice Spring weather?

Ace - Welcome and congrats on the sub-3.  I enjoyed your race report.  Really awesome last 1/2.  I like the wife fuel supply handoff.  I had never really heard about the Indy marathon, but it seems like a great option.  A woman from my office ran it, I think she was on pace for high 2:40s low 2:50s, when I saw her early tracking splits.

Kram - The 15 hour drive to Virginia did make my left knee really stiff, so you called that one.  I stopped at rest areas like 5 times for the dogs, but it didn't help I guess.

Swim- "I think it might be time for all of us to take a deep breath and realize how absurdly fast a sub 2:30 marathon is."  Agree.  Improvement is not linear and running faster times is always easier in theory than in practice.  Nice training week!

weatherboy - You are in a great spot to run an outstanding 1/2.  Looking forward to seeing your performance.

JTReeves - Glad to see you are back running well already.

mt79

Forgot to post my week...

Nov 11-17

Goal: 7 runs, 66+ miles, 12 mile long run, 1 quality workout

Actual: 8 runs 67+ miles, 12 mile long run, 1 quality day (4 x 1200 @ 6:35 mile pace, 4 min recovery runs during an 8 mile run)

I skipped Sunday after my long drive, and had to do 2 short evening runs to get the mileage back, miscalculated and ran an extra mile. 

Goal for this week: 8 runs, 68+ miles, 13 mile long run, 1 quality workout (5k race on 11/22)

Feeling healthy for my 5k tomorrow.  I only ran 6 miles this morning, so I should be rested.       

steve_