2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have never heard of such a fast Turkey Trot before where your time wouldn't win by 3 minutes. Congrats though! You're in amazing shape, half should be great if the weather is good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SubDood

Congrats, Weatherboy! That is an awesome time, nice negative splits, and pretty cool to meet up with another poster here (mt79) afterwards.

I ran a Turkey Trot 5K today. I wasn't going for a PR, just hoping for a decent workout with some other runners to push me a bit harder than I would push myself on my own. I ran one of my toughest workouts 2 days ago in my short build-up to another marathon -- 10 miles alternating between 6:30 and 7:10 pace, averaging about 6:50 pace. So I was cautious not to really race all-out today. I finished in 19:43, which was good enough for 2nd in the 50-59 AG. Negative splits, too, which is rare for me. JMac -- This "turkey trot" was won by a college XC runner who was back home on break -- he ran a 14:52! There were two others who finished under 16:00. Of course, there were a LOT of families walking the course with their kids and/or dogs, so the RANGE of abilities was immense.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We don’t have Thanksgiving whatever or Turkey Trot in the UK...but we’ve embraced Black Friday!

mt79 - How did you do buddy? Give me your want and actual 5k time.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

steve_

powered by plants

We don’t have Thanksgiving whatever or Turkey Trot in the UK...but we’ve embraced Black Friday!

Good.  That's a far more important day.  Capitalism make the (civilized) world go 'round.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

mt79

Mikkey - My last race was a 22:35 5K on Sept 8. My original goal after that race was to drop 2 minutes and try for 20:30 at a Turkey Trot 5K.  In the last couple weeks, I adjusted that to hoping to go under 20, but I wasn't sure what would really happen.  I arrived late right before the national anthem and there were already about 100 runners lined up past the 6:00/mile pace sign.  I could have shoved my way in to the middle of that pack, but I decided to be polite and just tuck in behind them so that I wouldn't go out too fast.  The 1st 1/2 mile was a lot of dodging people who were zigging and zagging and randomly going too fast or too slow, but then it passed.  As weatherboy mentioned that section seemed like we were running into a breeze, and it must have had some gentle climbing as well. 

I settled into a steady pace, 1st mile 6:24, 2nd mile 6:20.  The third mile I was picking off runners and I just kept going a little faster to overtake the next runner.  It felt like we did a lot of gentle downhill running and there were actually some ups and downs which is RARE for this part of Florida.  There was no clock at mile 3 that I saw, but I finished in 19:22, so I must have been sub-6 for the last section.  I didn't surge or anything at the end as I was locating/waving to my toddler son, and also the finish line really snuck up on me.  I would like to find another 5K in ~6 weeks and try to break 18:30.  Then it is about 4 weeks to a 1/2 marathon in early February.     

After the race, I joined a crowd of young runners who were getting their race bibs signed and a pack of moms getting their jogging strollers autographed.  Finally it was my turn to meet weatherboy.  I know he must have been reeling from his broken race winning streak, but he was gracious and congratulated me on my performance.  He tried not to mention that he just ran a personal best, but one of his running buddies pressed him until he let it slip.  I moved along to make way for another autograph seeker and weatherboy silently cast his gaze over the river to the rising sun and contemplated his next challenge.  It may have been my imagination, but I thought I heard a single whispered word that was soon carried away by the breeze...Orlando.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

mt79 - LOL that was cool that you got to meet Weathboy!  Congrats and 18:30 in 6 weeks sounds like a good goal. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

i am planning Boston as usual. And whoever said they are going for 2:44, that is my goal health willing,so I'd love to work together.

CaliB, what will you run if CIM is no good?

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

Im in favour/favor  of black friday if it means cheap shoes. Shoes are very expensive in NZ. Ive found a good source for pegasus $70 US delivered but havent found a source for Nike Zoom Streaks my racers. There are some questionable sites that Im not willing to take a risk on.

MT79 nice job on that 5k and 18.30 is a nice target and probably what we need for sub 3 potential.

My calf is feeling alot better and im jogging again.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

weatherboy - man... congrats on awesome quick time - I actually cannot comprehend time fast like that but it definitely faster than my 18:23 PR Smile I don't see how with mileage you run and with the PRs like this you will not break 2:40 next marathon - seriously - should be easy (marathons are all easy, right? it doesn't hurt as much as 5K Smile )

mt79 - congrats on a PR - it's a huge progress since September. I guess everybody here is faster 5K runners than Mikkey  Smile

piwi - what your favourite/favorite colour/color for the Pegasus?

GabbyTriBoy - there is no way in the world CIM will be cancelled - the air quality is excellent right now, there are plenty of rains next week (means the air quality will be great) and the fires contain 95% (I am surprised there still fires actually with rains like we had last 3 days). So, CIM is happening 110%. Too bad my latest runs show I am in a little bit worse shape than last year - tells me it's better run 200-250 miles for each of 6 months than 300-350 miles for 3 months...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

slingrunner

Jmac- Do you run with the cushion in?  I'm getting more used to it, and I'm ready for longer runs, but it definitely doesn't feel normal.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Cal I get the shoes that are on special so usually a gowdy pink color/colour 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac- Do you run with the cushion in?  I'm getting more used to it, and I'm ready for longer runs, but it definitely doesn't feel normal.

I just added it to my my main trainer. Not sure it really makes a difference for running. At this point, it bothers me constantly, but it hasn’t gotten worse even as I’ve begun upping my easy mileage again, so I guess that’s a good sign? I’m going to take this one run at a time. If the pain is a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10, I’ll run through it. If it gets to a 3, I’m going to stop and get evaluated by a doctor. For now, it’s been generally a 1 during most runs (which I classify as “this is annoying” but not really any sort of pain that makes me alter my gait, find truly painful, etc.), but it’s a 2 after my run. Keeping up with the icing seems to help.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Swim5599

i am planning Boston as usual. And whoever said they are going for 2:44, that is my goal health willing,so I'd love to work together.

CaliB, what will you run if CIM is no good?

When deciding on what I was thankful for I was at a loss until I saw you posting on here.  I’m thankful for you Steve ha ha.

2:44 is an awesome goal.  Maybe just maybe you can finally catch a break weather wise there.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

weatherboy80

Gabby - think there will be several of us trying to go sub 2:45 (or slightly lower).  I'd say we are due some good weather at Boston though - but then again I t's New England in mid April Wink

Thanks MT and everyone else for the kind words on the 5K!  Very pleased with my gradual improvements at that distance in just about a year.  Still a hard race to get the pacing right.  Plus it was pretty awesome to get to meet someone in person - small world Smile

Officially entered into my taper week with my easy recovery run today feeling somewhat hard & sluggish so I must be right on track.  7 day forecast already looking a bit warm (cause why not right), but we have some time for that to modify.  Not sure why the race organizers have a 7:30 HM start either?  Thinking they should at least start by 6:30 with the sun angle we have here!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

weatherboy80

BTW, here was my latest week.  Only real quality session was the 5K that was mentioned.  Have one more 3 X 1 threshold session that I'll probably run on Tuesday.  Ran a few more miles than intended this morning pacing a few friends in the last mile or so in a local race so I'll subtract out a few this week with a day off on Thursday.  Looking more and more like I'll miss the timing of our 2 day cold snap as temperatures are supposed to dip into the 40's and 50's Tuesday and Wednesday before warming back up into the 70's and 80's come next weekend Sad

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Nov 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 8.2 7:29 Splish splash strava
                                Mon 4.2 7:28 PM miles strava
                                Tue 10.3 7:52 Mid run cookies strava
                                Wed 8.3 8:20 RZ fun run + strides strava
                                Thu 3.0 8:18 Warm up - "Get off the road!" strava
                                Thu 3.1 5:20 Space Coast Turkey Trot 🦃🍗 - 2nd OA strava
                                Thu 4.1 7:32 Cool down strava
                                Fri 12.4 7:16 Breezy 90min strava
                                Sat 4.3 7:25 EZ + strides strava
                                Sun 10.5 7:55 Space Coast cheer squad strava
                                  68.4 7:38    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)