2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

finbad

MT & Weatherboy brilliant 5k's, congratulations.

I started to feel  a bit aerobically fit again this week, PF is not getting any better but the insert things stop it being annoying during the run. Not sure how to proceed, feel good running but should perhaps take some down time?

anyway, my week - 50 odd miles, one hard session where I ran a nice 5x2k with 3 minute jogs and one 15 mile run. Wife has jury duty next week so maybe a bit of a disjointed effort upcoming.

Mikkey - do you know anything about the Highgate Harriers Night of the 10000m PB's? I see it's on the day after my 40th birthday next year and wondering how/if I'd be able to get in. Looking at last years results my PB is just quicker than the times run by the 3 slowest guys in the slowest heat.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

steve_

powered by plants

finbad- hang in there.  Some rest may do the PF some good.

weather-  hoping for decent temps for you.

Here's my week:

M- 10mi jog

T- 11mi easy with 8 strides

W- 11mi jog

T- 10mi jog

F- 10mi easy

S- 15mi (10 in 80 min, surge the first minute of each of the last 5 miles HARD)

S- 8mi too quick for recovery

75 for the week.

Back up to 85 this week and then cutting back for a 15k on 12/9.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

CalBears

finbad - I wonder is the fact that you are still trying to run through PF doesn't allow it to heal. I think I had something like PF in 2012 when I dramatically increased weekly mileage (but I also think I caught it very early) - so, stopping for 3 weeks and doing absolutely nothing solved the problem. Just thinking loud...

the steve - great mileage for the second week after the marathon.

My week:

Mon - 7.1 @9:50

Tue - 7.1 @9:53

Wed - 10.1 @8:29

Thu - 12.5 @8:01

Fri - 12.5 @9:08

Sat - 8.1 @9:08

Sun - 1.75 @8:45 w/u 6.3 @6:29  10K  1.3 @9:10 c/d

Total: 66.7 mi

Strange feeling after today's 10K - I know you have to run at least 39 mins 10K to go sub 3 - I ran 40:48 - this is my slowest 10K time since 2012. From the other hand - I ran 40 mins 10K when I broke sub 3 in 2013. Plus - I believe the steve mentioned he ran 6:36 pace10K before he ran 2:54 marathon - I guess I should expect something like 2:53 now? 

Just noticed my Strava shows 41:15 for today's 10K instead of what my watch has which is 40:48. That was bizarre - at approximately 1.5 miles mark I was stopped by a few policemen who explained we need to stop running because there was some incident ahead an

d they do not allow anybody there - I ran for awhile before "meeting" with other 2 or 3 policemen, who were not too convincing though - I stopped my watch and walked some distance because that sounded kind of stupid - there were plenty of people everywhere and I could not understand what the police was actually doing - apparently after 30 or so seconds I didn't notice any incidents and started to run again. When I ran the second loop, there was no police anywhere - so, as I said, I have no clue what those guys tried to accomplish - but I walked for 30 seconds with stopped watch before continuing and that's why there is a difference in Strava time and my watch time.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

steve_

powered by plants

Plus - I believe the steve mentioned he ran 6:36 pace10K before he ran 2:54 marathon - I guess I should expect something like 2:53 now? 

Actually, the last 10k of the marathon was at 6:35 pace.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

kramrunner

v02 block: w2/6
            M    00 44 10    5.22
            T     -- -- --         URD laziness
            W   01 13 29     9.23
            Th  01 25 44     10.91
            F    01 34 49     11.64
            S    01 18 23     9 tm w/ 2wu + 200/400/4x1k/400/400 + 2cd, 0.5%, 2s/4s@5:00p; 1k@5:24p
            S    01 14 58     9.28 
                                     ====

Pretty happy with my week. Got my mileage heading back in the right direction over the break and was able to get some more fast work in. Running when suffering at vo2 pace sucks balls!

Cal: Another solid week. I wouldn't worry too much about that 10k time given the police nonsense. Stop acting so evil and Russian all the time... or is it Russian and evil or evil-Russian, hmmm.

Steve: You are made of steal to be right back at it so quickly. You might well be in with a shot at your 15k pr if things go well, given the great aerobic condition you are in after the marathon cycle.

Finbad: Urgh, sucks to hear that the PF is still hanging around. Easing back to ~50 mpw and banning doubles was enough rest for me. I also stopped running in my zante v3s for a couple of months as they irritated it more than my other trainers.

Weather: Cracking 5k result. I wouldn't stress too much about the actual weather as you're in great shape, absent a hurricane, so get after it.

Gabby: Great stuff. The more of us pushing ourselves the better... hopefully!

mt79: Nice 5k. You keep at things consistent like this and getting into the 18s should be easy.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

CalBears

Actually, the last 10k of the marathon was at 6:35 pace.

1.  Ha-ha - that means - no 2:53 for me 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Swim5599

Weather that’s really well done.  Great PR

Kram great week.  VO2 can be brutal.

Cal im sure  you can sub 3 off that

first taper week 73 total

mon 10 8:35

tue 10 with strides 8:31

wed 10 with power test.  Which was a 3:00 segment all out (4:34). Hit the 800 in 2:17 which is moving pretty good.  Then nice 15 min jog.  Then a 15 min segment at 5:32 pace.

Thurs 10 8:35

fri 10 with strides 8:31

sat 13 with 45 min at MP power 6:20.  Felt so stinking easy

sun 10 8:37

1 week to go

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - You will never get good weather for a half or full. Anyway, what's the goal if temps are below 65? 1:17?

Kram - You're really getting back into training a lot faster than me, well done. The smell of sub 2:40 is just too strong for you!

Fin - Seems like this entire thread is battling foot injuries. The rule I follow (as advised by my sports medicine doc) is that if it doesn't hurt when running, you can keep running on it. Sounds like you're at that spot. Just keep up with the PT type work and hopefully you will get some relief in the coming weeks.

Cal - Glad the weather is working out for you with CIM. I assume you're going for sub 3 no matter what?

Swim - Remind me, what's the goal?

Steve - I assume that's the Ted Corbitt race? Never actually raced that as I'm always out of shape in December, but I have run it a couple of times.

Me - Nothing to report, 38 miles all easy running as I'm trying to get the mileage back up before starting my cycle. Foot still hurts, especially when walking around the house, but it's bothering me less while running than it has in the past, so that's a good sign.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - do you know anything about the Highgate Harriers Night of the 10000m PB's? I see it's on the day after my 40th birthday next year and wondering how/if I'd be able to get in. Looking at last years results my PB is just quicker than the times run by the 3 slowest guys in the slowest heat.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but spoke to someone who’s run it a few times and he said it’s quite popular now and open entries are based on times over a few weeks, plus it held the European Cup this year (and next year) which fills up a race. He reckoned 34min might be tight, but suggested following them on Facebook/Twitter to see when they release entries etc. He also recommended the Orion Harriers “Fast Friday” in June as a good alternative.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Swim: Great sharpening session; sub 2:40 is yours for the taking this weekend.  Good luck!

Cal: Good luck this weekend; a sub 3 would be very impressive!

Weather: Congrats on the 5k PR!  Good luck on the half this weekend.

MT: Nice job on the 5k; as others have said your steady progression is working well and 18:30 sounds like a good target for the next one.

JMac: Good to hear the foot is getting a bit better.

Kram: Pushing the limits of the mill with that VO2 max business. Do you run on one that goes faster than 12 mph? Looks like you may need that soon.

I strained my calf at the end of Saturday's easy trail run. It happened after I was done with the trails, on my way back home, going up a hill very slowly. Could barely walk the rest of the day, but it was significantly better the next day. I may try to run on the mill a bit this evening and see how it does. Frustrating but at least I'm not in the middle of a training cycle.

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Cal & Swim - good luck.  Weather looking much better!

JT - hope the leg recovers soon!

Thanks guys - really happy that I've been able to hit a few 5K PR's during this build.  Probably should have hit a 10K along the way too Smile  As for the weather still looking at mid to upper 60's with high humidity which isn't a deal breaker (for me) considering what I've trained in throughout the last few months. Obviously I'd like to be able to take advantage of something much cooler and speaking of which Wed & Thursday will be in the 40's!  Based on my most recent 5K time and recent workouts (3/4 X 2 mile, & 2 X 5K etc ...) certainly was thinking 1:16-1:17, but have to figure if it is closer to 70 (or warmer) something around sub 1:18 pace. One thing that hurts is the race doesn't start until 7:30 AM ether.   Hoping I have a few folks to run with as well!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

steve_