2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

mattw4jc

Nope TN_weather and I are not the same people!  We are both in the weather field though 🙂

And whenever I'm in a field I'm in the weather.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm assuming these are just standard easy runs. No quality, and not necessarily as slow as a true recovery run.

Cal - You were doing this while running 120+ MPW I assume. I'm thinking for someone doing 60-80 MPW as most on this forum accomplish.

There seems to be mixed opinions, but I just can't imagine that doing 10 miles in the AM and 10 in the PM in the same day is just as difficult as doing 10 in the PM one night and 10 in the AM the next morning, but I could be thinking about this all wrong. I already did this once this week but have to do it again, with my shorter space in between overnight. I'm going to run 11 tonight around 7 PM, but I need to be running by 5 AM tomorrow as we are going on a long road trip to VT. We'll see how that run tomorrow morning goes but I'm sure it won't be good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Hmmm. I actually posted in this thread back in Jan-Mar. Ha.

Just wanted to stop by and say great CIM races for all of you. (And St. Jude also) last weekend. Been lurking for a while. I might actually hit 20 miles this week.

As for marathon course (as I see Houston has been mentioned).

I've run:

*Boston 10 times
        * NYC 3 times

* Houston 2 times

* Chicago 2 times

* Philly 2 times (old course)
        * WIneglass 1 time

* Harrisburg 1 time (old course)

If you take out all factors: (weather, etc.) I would rate from fastest to slowest (Boston, WIneglass, Chicago,  Houston, Philly, NYC)

Now, unfortunately you have to factor in weather, so I would probably rate fastest to slowest with chance of craopla weather factored in:
        (Houston, Philly, Chicago, Wineglass, Boston/NYC).

And, yes when I ran Houston in 2012 I did feel like the concrete has an affect. But I think the higher guarantee for nicer weather outweighs that... 

Unfortunately, weather is a big factor when running a marathon (as my last two warmer Bostons can attest too)

Lurk mode back on.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Hmmm. I actually posted in this thread back in Jan-Mar. Ha.

Lurk mode back on.

Haha, everyone knows who you are.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Great RR and I hope you continue to stick around and bless us with your words of wisdom. 😀

Swim - I didnt see your splits but I’m assuming it was a fast finish. Congrats on the PR. 👍

Darkwave - Wow you smashed it!

Slammin - That was a crazy fast time and you must be 46yo now??? Interesting what you said about CIM, but if you ran it again I think you’d go even faster. It definitely helps the more you run and get familiar with a course (especially the roller ones). Anyway congrats on the PR, I’ve forgotten what that feels like. 😭

JMac - I’ve always been into singles even when averaging 90mpw, but I’ve had 12 hours gap between runs which was ok as they’d never be 2 quality runs together. I used to do some late night running (between 8-11pm) and I found that it was harder to get to sleep...so a 6pm run followed by a 6am run would be fine...but a 9pm run followed by a morning run not so fine! I would just experiment and see what works best for you.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Happy 100th page everyone!

OnceADCV - I see one race is missing in your list - yes, the one from NorCal Smile Come and get your sub 3 after you get back to shape this year!

Mikkey - "words of wisdom" - my god how wrong you are about me Sad I am definitely staying but my training for the next 6 months will be pretty boring - the goal will be more about miles and ascent/descent - unfortunately I didn't win WS100 lottery for the 4th year in a row but I am signed for two 100Ks in April and June. I still feel as an "amateur" trail runner as I didn't run one 100 miles race, so maybe this is the year - probably one or two months before next year CIM (yes, of course I signed up for CIM 2019 already).

Still didn't do any runs - not because I am not going to, but because I don't feel I want to run right now - still feel pretty upset about race outcome and mostly about that 10K fast-ish run the week before the race. I don't remember having legs sore like this for I don't remember since when. I had a better recovery even after 100Ks with 15K of ascent. It's Thursday today and I still feel beat up and yes, my legs feel much better, but there are plenty of spots where it hurts when you touch it or when you walk or stand up. I totally blame that 10K race the week before - stupid me, but hopefully it will be last time when I race a week before a goal race (until it's not a race but a training run at some specific pace - lower than target one).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

weatherboy80

LOL

And whenever I'm in a field I'm in the weather.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - "words of wisdom" - my god how wrong you are about me Sad I am definitely staying but my training for the next 6 months will be pretty boring - the goal will be more about miles and ascent/descent - unfortunately I didn't win WS100 lottery for the 4th year in a row but I am signed for two 100Ks in April and June. I still feel as an "amateur" trail runner as I didn't run one 100 miles race, so maybe this is the year - probably one or two months before next year CIM (yes, of course I signed up for CIM 2019 already).

Still didn't do any runs - not because I am not going to, but because I don't feel I want to run right now - still feel pretty upset about race outcome and mostly about that 10K fast-ish run the week before the race. I don't remember having legs sore like this for I don't remember since when. I had a better recovery even after 100Ks with 15K of ascent. It's Thursday today and I still feel beat up and yes, my legs feel much better, but there are plenty of spots where it hurts when you touch it or when you walk or stand up. I totally blame that 10K race the week before - stupid me, but hopefully it will be last time when I race a week before a goal race (until it's not a race but a training run at some specific pace - lower than target one).

Yeah your training will probably look pretty boring and probably send me to sleep....but you aren’t a vanilla poster and I always like to hear your opinions/advice 👍.  You live and learn....don’t do a stupid fast-ish 10k run the week before CIM next year. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Haha, everyone knows who you are.

I know that., just that I've only been reading not posting.  Or totally forgot about the forums here. Either way.

cal - the first step is actually believing I want to run a marathon again. I've come to really enjoy sleeping in until 6-630am, especially in the winter. There actually have been a few performances this year (yours included) that give me a jolt to want to train again. tn_weather basically was a cyclist this summer and ran a 2:47.... Then when I get all serious, I then think: "Hey, it's going to be 22F and windy and cold tomorrow, I'll just get fat and sleep in my warm bed!"

I'm working in the running slowly. I'd rather not hobble around after every run, so increase miles slowly, supplemental with a lot of video game biking (workouts, races, Netflix) and add in some core, strengthening routines. 10 mile race on Jan 19th, 2019 will tell me where I am (I should probably due a run of at least 10 miles by then). Last year I did 1:08:52, then my year went down the crapper. I want to prevent that. I won't post in the 2019 thread until I get my VDOT over 49

Swim5599

Yeah

Cal - Great RR and I hope you continue to stick around and bless us with your words of wisdom. 😀

Swim - I didnt see your splits but I’m assuming it was a fast finish. Congrats on the PR. 👍

Darkwave - Wow you smashed it!

Slammin - That was a crazy fast time and you must be 46yo now??? Interesting what you said about CIM, but if you ran it again I think you’d go even faster. It definitely helps the more you run and get familiar with a course (especially the roller ones). Anyway congrats on the PR, I’ve forgotten what that feels like. 😭

JMac - I’ve always been into singles even when averaging 90mpw, but I’ve had 12 hours gap between runs which was ok as they’d never be 2 quality runs together. I used to do some late night running (between 8-11pm) and I found that it was harder to get to sleep...so a 6pm run followed by a 6am run would be fine...but a 9pm run followed by a morning run not so fine! I would just experiment and see what works best for you.

Yeah I basically desc each 10k.  Was out in 1:24:10 and closed in 1:21:54.  Phenomenal day.  Probably should have pushed harder earlier because to be honest that whole thing felt pretty comfortable.

Boyd I kept looking for ya in the corral to wish you luck but I couldn’t find you.  Such a stellar race though.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yeah

Yeah I basically desc each 10k.  Was out in 1:24:10 and closed in 1:21:54.  Phenomenal day.  Probably should have pushed harder earlier because to be honest that whole thing felt pretty comfortable.

Jeebus - that's just beautiful.

Regarding the doubles/spacing question: I think one by definition recovers more when sleeping than when at work, doing errands, etc if you hold all other factors equal.

At the same time, I worry that evening running can interfere with sleep and reduce overall recovery.  And there's a bit of mental strain from finishing your run and knowing you're going to get up and do it again, when you don't normally do that.

For myself, I do more than one run in a day sometimes, but they're almost always early morning and then later in the morning or at the latest around noon.  That way I don't interfere with my sleep.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

finbad

Mikkey - I don't know what shoe size you are but I spotted sportsshoes.com have a few sizes of 4%'s in stock.

midweek update from me - other sports suck, I miss running.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I don't know what shoe size you are but I spotted sportsshoes.com have a few sizes of 4%'s in stock.

midweek update from me - other sports suck, I miss running.

Thanks, yeah just looked and they have my size and are cheaper than the ones on eBay. Did you get a pair?

finbad

no, didn't have my size.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

So, who is planning on starting up an 18 week Boston cycle this coming Monday Wink  Thinking I'll ease into a marathon cycle in the next 1-2 weeks myself. Coming off a fairly high mileage plan for my half so certainly thinking I don't quite need all 18 weeks, but I enjoy the training so here goes Smile

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)