Vomitting, dizziness, diarrhea after long run - Warning TMI! (Read 1627 times)

pitrunner

I did 9 miles on Friday night, which for me is long. My run ended at 8ish and about a half hour afterwards I started vommitting and having severe bowel distress. I was on the toilet until about 4 am that morning. The cramps made me dizzy, I almost passed out and I started having heart palpitations...the whole works. I continued having stomach cramps until Sunday night, although they weren't as bad as immediately following the run. 9 miles was my longest run yet, but still, it's only 1 mile longer than I've previously done. I've had mild stomach issues before, but never anything this severe. It's really making me nervous. Does anyone have any possible explanation for this? Other factors which may or may not have played a part: - I didn't eat much Friday - I forgot breakfast, had a sandwhich for lunch (12:30ish), then ran around 6pm - It wasn't too hot, probably 80-82ish - The route was slightly hillier than I usually run, but nothing outta control - I had a big piece of watermelon right after the run, which was stupid, but I was already having mild stomach discomfort even before I ate it. Anyone have any thoughts or similar issues?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

GI viruses are common in the Summer and there are plenty circulating this year. I wonder if that is the cause rather than your run...
      JakeKnight

The big piece of watermelon was a fine idea. And I suspect Dr. T is right - I don't think this had anything to do with your run. At least I hope not. If I ever felt like that after a training run, I'd probably quit running. Yuck. Did you run it faster/harder than you usually run? (Although even at the hardest paces in the worst races, you shouldn't be hurting this bad). Any chance you ate something bad? The only time I ever experienced anything like that came from some spoiled chicken salad. That was fun.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

pitrunner

The big piece of watermelon was a fine idea. And I suspect Dr. T is right - I don't think this had anything to do with your run. At least I hope not. If I ever felt like that after a training run, I'd probably quit running. Yuck. Did you run it faster/harder than you usually run? (Although even at the hardest paces in the worst races, you shouldn't be hurting this bad). Any chance you ate something bad? The only time I ever experienced anything like that came from some spoiled chicken salad. That was fun.
          Ha, yes...the watermelon was not well thought out...I admit. I guess I probably did run it a bit faster, at least for the first 4 miles which was a hilly, windy, scary road and I was sure I was going to be road kill. I'm pretty sure I huffed and puffed it through there without even realizing it.
          pitrunner

GI viruses are common in the Summer and there are plenty circulating this year. I wonder if that is the cause rather than your run...
            I sure hope so. The run was from my house to my future in-laws house. And of course my fiance's 400lb uncles was there when I went running to the bathroom. I was told later that he said "I hope she learned her lesson." Yes, I'm sure my stomach issues, which may or may not be running related, are far worse than the side effects of being 400lbs. I would love to be able to tell him running had nothing to do with it.
            JakeKnight

Ha, yes...the watermelon was not well thought out...I admit.
              Smile Irony. I get accused of being serious when I'm joking, and now I'm serious and its taken as sarcasm. Seriously - nothing wrong with the watermelon ... unless its something that you know affects you badly. Watermelon is my post-race favorite. If they have it after a race, its the first thing I go for. I must have had 6 or 7 slices after a recent race. Good stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

pitrunner

Smile Irony. I get accused of being serious when I'm joking, and now I'm serious and its taken as sarcasm. Seriously - nothing wrong with the watermelon ... unless its something that you know affects you badly. Watermelon is my post-race favorite. If they have it after a race, its the first thing I go for. I must have had 6 or 7 slices after a recent race. Good stuff.
                Ha! Actually, there was another guy visiting at my future in-laws who was a tri-athlete. He kept telling me that it must've been the watermelon. I just figured you and him knew something I didn't! MTA: I actually CRAVE watermelon on my longer runs. I almost always come home and eat some.
                C-R

I finished off quite a bit of watermelon after yesterdays long run and I find it really hits the spot when its right out of the fridge. IMO an unlikey culprit or anyone else eating it would be knocking on the door of the bathroom telling you to hurry up. As for your stomach issues, I've had this experience a few times and it always surrounded a really strenuous and hot temp workout (combination of temp and humidity). Didn't have the uke issue but certainly spent some quality time with my running magazines. I now dial back my efforts on long runs, especially when it is hot/humid, and don't worry about speed just about time on my feet/miles covered. Haven't had the problems resurface since then. My advice for what its worth - keep good notes about this run and everything leading up to it. If it happens again, compare A and B to see if there are any common issues. If nothing stands out, Dr. Flying Monkey is likely correct on the GI virus thing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I had the same thing happen to me. I was in florida (disneyworld no less) and decided one evening to take a short run. 2 miles in I'm feeling pretty crappy, so I walk back to the hotel and my stomach starts acting up. I was vomiting and had diarrhea ALL night, horrible like it wouldn't stop and my stomach was in a ton of pain. I attributed it to my run, but after this didn't go away for two weeks, my mom figured food poisoning or some thing. I'm not sure how 2 miles would cause that anyways...but hopefully it wasn't your run either, but hope its nothing too serious! eta: I had a fruit cup like 1/2 hr before my run and I wonder if there was a bad piece of fruit in it or something...who knows.
                    pitrunner

I've had this experience a few times and it always surrounded a really strenuous and hot temp workout (combination of temp and humidity). Didn't have the uke issue but certainly spent some quality time with my running magazines. I now dial back my efforts on long runs, especially when it is hot/humid, and don't worry about speed just about time on my feet/miles covered. Haven't had the problems resurface since then. My advice for what its worth - keep good notes about this run and everything leading up to it. If it happens again, compare A and B to see if there are any common issues. If nothing stands out, Dr. Flying Monkey is likely correct on the GI virus thing.
                      This is why I assumed it was running related - I sometimes would have issues like this iin high school and college while training for lax. But it was never this bad. Not even close. Maybe I did push it much, much harder than I thought. And who knows, maybe the fact that I really thought I was going to be hit by a car effected my bowels?? I like the idea of noting the other facts of the day/run. Thanks!
                        I had the same thing happen to me. I was in florida (disneyworld no less) and decided one evening to take a short run. 2 miles in I'm feeling pretty crappy, so I walk back to the hotel and my stomach starts acting up. I was vomiting and had diarrhea ALL night, horrible like it wouldn't stop and my stomach was in a ton of pain. I attributed it to my run, but after this didn't go away for two weeks, my mom figured food poisoning or some thing. I'm not sure how 2 miles would cause that anyways...but hopefully it wasn't your run either, but hope its nothing too serious! eta: I had a fruit cup like 1/2 hr before my run and I wonder if there was a bad piece of fruit in it or something...who knows. Did you stay in an All-Star Resort, those have been known to carry something in the rooms that causes stomach issues...my son got sick the first night there and we found many people through the years experienced the same thing. I did 9 miles on Friday night, which for me is long. My run ended at 8ish and about a half hour afterwards I started vommitting and having severe bowel distress. I was on the toilet until about 4 am that morning. The cramps made me dizzy, I almost passed out and I started having heart palpitations...the whole works. I continued having stomach cramps until Sunday night, although they weren't as bad as immediately following the run. 9 miles was my longest run yet, but still, it's only 1 mile longer than I've previously done. I've had mild stomach issues before, but never anything this severe. It's really making me nervous. Does anyone have any possible explanation for this? Other factors which may or may not have played a part: - I didn't eat much Friday - I forgot breakfast, had a sandwhich for lunch (12:30ish), then ran around 6pm - It wasn't too hot, probably 80-82ish - The route was slightly hillier than I usually run, but nothing outta control - I had a big piece of watermelon right after the run, which was stupid, but I was already having mild stomach discomfort even before I ate it. Anyone have any thoughts or similar issues? Watermelon is awesome...cold, loaded in water and sugar. Not the watermelon unless it was bad. I would say a virus combined with a tad bit of dehydration...BTW 1 mile can be alot. If your longest was 8 miles, then 1 more mile is well over 10% longer than any other run. Adding 1 mile to 15+ is not as drastic. BTW, Congrats on the new distance covered...double digits are next Smile
                        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
                          Did you stay in an All-Star Resort, those have been known to carry something in the rooms that causes stomach issues...my son got sick the first night there and we found many people through the years experienced the same thing. Actually, yeah we were staying in one of those resorts, the New Orleans style thing. (My dad's work paid for it so it seemed pretty nice at the time!) Wow, thats scary to know...eep, I'll take a campground over that any day loL!

dreamer of dreams

HAD to have been something you caught. It might have been in your system for hours before it caused symptoms. I have never had dehydration or hunger cause me stomach distress. As for the watermelon.. I love watermelon after a run! I like to freeze chunks and eat that as my post hot run snack.
                              Probably not related, but I get stomach cramps and diarrhea when backpacking. It's always on the first night, and by morning I'm all better. And it's EVERY backpacking trip, regardless of how hard a hike it is. The most recent was my son's first backpack trip so it was only 2 very easy miles. I can't explain it. A friend of mine thought it was a salt issue - lost too much salt during the day hiking, without replenshing enough??? That made sense on a 4-day trip last year. We hiked 8 miles (the last 3.5 were really steep and hot). I felt fine until I stopped moving, then felt like crap. But, my friend made me some chicken broth and I felt much better afterwards. But why I was sick after a short, easy 2 mile trip is beyond me. Not much salt loss there. Someone suggested anxiety... but that makes no sense. If I'm anxious the first night you'd think I'd be anxious the 2nd night as well but I'm not. And I spent a great deal of time sleeping in the backcountry - have for 15+ years, and this is a relatively recent problem (5 years or so). Anyway like I said probably not related, but you never know. Sounds like your problem was more a virus issue. I never vomit during these nights, just the runs & nausea & a bit of stomach cramps.

Michelle