RA Update (Feb 28) (Read 1693 times)

xor

I no longer have the Facebook "like" and am wondering if that because it was pulled (yeah!) or the corporate overlords web filtering is doing it:

Corporate overlords.  I still have the like buttons... and either people are wily nily liking very random posts, or the counting is funky. Or both, which is what I believe is happening.

"run" "2" "eat"

That would be you.

this struck me as odd, so i checked, and sure enough - i don't fit that description.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

xor

Ok, whatever makes you smile.

"run" "2" "eat"

RA updates that eric provides out of the goodness of his heart make me smile.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is it sideways?

I prefer Mr. Perfect, but I'm of the understanding the moniker has been suspended pending the outcome of the Hass v. Edmonds litigation.

Ha.

xhristopher

I've noted a bit of a slowdown on page loads on my ipad & ipod touch via wi-fi and more so with 3G. Personally I have no interest in connecting RA w/ FB. If any of my FB friends are interested in my RA life they are more than welcome to join me here. That said, I do understand adding FB connections from RA has a soft marketing potential. Several of my FB friends run but don't log w/ RA.

What really interests me has been mentioned before earlier in this thread, localized liking. Disqus, which I use on my work's website, offers the ability to both vote/like both articles and individual comments. Here's an example: http://karagoucher.competitor.com/2011/02/04/racing-again/#disqus_thread Boston.com does similiar. They call it "reccomend." Here's another example: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/03/commuter_rail_o_3.html?comments=all#readerComm

I won't be clicking any FB likes but would probably click the hell out of local "likes" or "recommends."

Eric, as always, RA is an incredible resource. Thanks!

L Train

I'm log stalking and when I click on the "summary" page for other people, it's blank.  I can see the calendar or workout pages, though. 

MTA: actually the same is true on my own summary page. 

xor

I clicked on your summary page and I can see it just fine.  Same with mine.

Sometimes when I click on "training log", it loads a blank page instead of my summary.  But clicking on "summary" in the left nav forces a load and the page shows up.  It's been that way for me for at least a year, but I never bothered to ask about it.

Prince of Fatness

Interesting.  Any summary page I look at now is blank as well.  It was not like this earlier this morning.

Not at it at all. 

eric :)

My first controversy... I doubt it'll end up on the local nightly news though.

<geek_stuff>

Facebook documentation is rather poor in general.  Lots of guessing work in general.  Each Like button has an URL parameter which one would assume refers to the link to be liked.  Each page also needs to include meta information about the like, so I thought FB will fetch the page associated with the Like button's URL.  This turns out to be not the case.  Instead, the Like button ignores its associated URL and uses the page's URL. The Like is keyed to the URL.  The page url depends on which link you clicked (the topic name in the topics list, the last post, or a page in the topic), which in turn controls how the Likes are displayed.  Why would the Like button have a URL param which I have to specify if it is not used?  And why doesn't FB document this behavior?

</geek_stuff>

I will modify the page and leave only one Like button per page, which will improve the page load time on your computers.  If that still doesn't appease the masses, I will remove it completely and chalk it up as an FB fail.

Sometimes I amuse myself by looking at sites such as alexa.com and quantcast.com to look at their view of RA.  Their statistics are way off but I like it that way.  Quantcast.com track the user ages and supposedly, RA has an older user base (30+) than other similar sites.  Maybe the dislike of the Like is a reflection of this fact?  Then again, it could be wrong, just like the other statistics.

I have an elaborate scheme for rating articles and forum moderation.  It looks good on paper but I have no idea how you would use it (read: how you would find loopholes and abuse the system) so I never got around to implementing it.  I agree that having a rating system will guide you to the relevant info.

I'm log stalking and when I click on the "summary" page for other people, it's blank.  I can see the calendar or workout pages, though. 

MTA: actually the same is true on my own summary page. 

Hrm... I made some fixes this morning and that must have broke the summary page.  Not sure how that's possible.  I'll take a look tonight.

xor

Man, I didn't know about quantcast.  I'm really curious about how they know ages.  It must be part of skynet.

(this post is not really relevant, but I sure learned a lot from the previous one)

xor

Hrm... I made some fixes this morning and that must have broke the summary page.  Not sure how that's possible.  I'll take a look tonight.

It isn't broken for everyone.  I am seeing them fine, except for a snoozed weatherbug for Easton PA on MrPH's page.

Prince of Fatness

I had been logged in for a while (not sure how long), so on a hunch I logged out and back in again.  Now I can see the summary pages.

Not at it at all. 

I had been logged in for a while (not sure how long), so on a hunch I logged out and back in again.  Now I can see the summary pages.

I think we arrived at the same conclusion.  The current release contains more changes than what I described.  Most of them are changes that are not visible to the user so it doesn't matter how great it is, you won't notice.  One of them involves cleaning up the authentication code to unify the various sections.  You can log into RA from multiple pages and even remotely such as from FB and graphs and widgets.  It's possible that your session has the old info that the new code is not recognizing.  By re-logging in, you'll get a new session.  This doesn't explain certain details but it's the best I can come up with right now.