RA Update (Feb 28) (Read 1693 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

so, if i subscribe to a thread, then i must receive emails about it? i mean, i like having threads in "my topics" but i don't necessarily want to receive emails with replies. is it all or nothing?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Prince of Fatness

so, if i subscribe to a thread, then i must receive emails about it? i mean, i like having threads in "my topics" but i don't necessarily want to receive emails with replies. is it all or nothing?

Your answer is here.

Not at it at all. 

"run" "2" "eat"

thank you kindly, mr finn!

(i should have read the initial post more carefully.)

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Go Pre!

More excellent work from the master. Well done Eric ~ thank you...and yes, it is time for me (and anyone else overdue) to donate!

http://www.runningahead.com/donate

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and I see that the FB Like buttons are gone.  Our voices are heard. Smile

yes! everything looks clean again. and the button is moved to the top so dont forget its there, some of you may find it to be useful.

BeeRunB

Nice work, Eric. Good choice on the FB buttons. One for the thread is a better way to go.

Cool

--Jimmy

eric :)

As you all have noticed, I removed the per post Like button and installed a topic Like button instead.  As of right now, FB doesn't support multiple Like buttons per page.  There are hacks to work around this limitation but I don't like FB enough to bother.  Per post Like is still a good idea because users don't have to dig through pages to find that one post.

On a related note, the Subscribe button now shows the number of users subscribing/following the topic.  You still won't be able to see who though.

Get Lost :)

As you all have noticed, I removed the per post Like button and installed a topic Like button instead.  As of right now, FB doesn't support multiple Like buttons per page.  There are hacks to work around this limitation but I don't like FB enough to bother.  Per post Like is still a good idea because users don't have to dig through pages to find that one post.

On a related note, the Subscribe button now shows the number of users subscribing/following the topic.  You still won't be able to see who though.

Thanks eric. I think the page looks cleaner this way. I'm having some bizarre time dealing with the subscribe button though. For one, the check box next to the Post button doesn't give the option of subscribing without email notification (this is my preferred way). Additionally, I did not subscribe to a topic after trying to use this check box, but on subsequent posts to the topic (free speech), the subscribe radio box was checked and grayed out. This sort of forced me to email subscribe in order to post.

PS It just did it again with another subscribed but no email topic (this one).

wanderlost,

Subscription has two modes: subscribe and follow.  Subscribe sends you an email if there is a new post *and* you have not received an email since your last view of this topic.  Follow does not send you an email.  Topics that you have elected to subscribe and follow are located in the "My Topics" menu item under the Forums menu.  The icons next to the topics will indicate which mode you're in.

Subscribe will not send you notifications until your email address is verified.

mta: I started getting emails after I verified my email so it's workin

Get Lost :)

wanderlost,

Subscription has two modes: subscribe and follow.  Subscribe sends you an email if there is a new post *and* you have not received an email since your last view of this topic.  Follow does not send you an email.  Topics that you have elected to subscribe and follow are located in the "My Topics" menu item under the Forums menu.  The icons next to the topics will indicate which mode you're in.

Subscribe will not send you notifications until your email address is verified.

mta: I started getting emails after I verified my email so it's workin

Thanks -- even for followed topics it tried to make me subscribe.

No idea then.  Sorry.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Maybe your browser was open while the updates were being rolled out and got confused.  If you close it and reopen, the weirdness may go away.

"run" "2" "eat"

wait... what? there's a "follow" and a separate "subscribe"? i am not seeing this. i am only seeing subscribe. when i put my cursor there on subscribe to click on it, a follow button overlaps the subscribe button, but i cannot choose one or the other. they appear to be the same. are there really two separate functions? i would very much prefer to follow and not subscribe. i just want to come here and check my thread list - i don't want a bunch of emails.

except - i would want emails if i got a new PM. is there a way to subscribe to PMs?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

wait... what? there's a "follow" and a separate "subscribe"? i am not seeing this. i am only seeing subscribe. when i put my cursor there on subscribe to click on it, a follow button overlaps the subscribe button, but i cannot choose one or the other. they appear to be the same. are there really two separate functions? i would very much prefer to follow and not subscribe. i just want to come here and check my thread list - i don't want a bunch of emails.

except - i would want emails if i got a new PM. is there a way to subscribe to PMs?

You must be using some wacky browser.  When you - er, I hover over Subscribe, the Follow button appears below, in a separate space.